LLY: LLY max pulsewidth?

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
What is considered by most to be considered the max pulsewidth at 160MPA and a 50-55% timing to put through a stock LLY with a stock trans before you limp it? I know on LB7's I consider 1850 to be the max as I have had a good split of some holding it and others not, just curious what others consider safe for an LLY?

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
Mark dyno'd my old tunes before he put his in, I had a tow tune that ran 19* and 1820us @160mpa and it made 392 HP. I wouldn't push a stock trans much past that if you want it to live on the 4-5 shift IMO.

I think he said my street tune that laid down 440hp is only a hair over 2000us. I drive that tune everyday and I wouldn't trust a stock trans in 5th gear with it.

catman3126

Ehhh?.... You don't say?
Jul 24, 2012
NE Oregon
Yep and I'm guess it may have to do with the VGT spooling quicker being part of it. maybe these rigs with higher PW are not running as much timing or calling for boost as soon. hard to say.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
I set this one up with a 1900, but stayed pretty conservative with the defuel(In other words, MASSIVE defuel to save the trans), and brought the power in semi soft. I thought the truck ran pretty good as it would light up his 37" tires with stock 3.73 gears. He's complaining now saying his other 05 with a PREDATOR is faster. I don't buy it, and he isn't willing to line em up against each to put them to the test. Anyways, I'm going to bump him up to a 2100, told him to put a mouthpiece in it BEFORE I do the tune(I told him to put one in it before I did it the 1st time, and he cheaped out), and he needed to add some sort of lift pump to it to keep his CP3 happy.

DIESELMAFIAPER.LB7

<----new hotness
Jan 17, 2010
idaho
shop.dieselmafiaperformance.com
I set this one up with a 1900, but stayed pretty conservative with the defuel(In other words, MASSIVE defuel to save the trans), and brought the power in semi soft. I thought the truck ran pretty good as it would light up his 37" tires with stock 3.73 gears. He's complaining now saying his other 05 with a PREDATOR is faster. I don't buy it, and he isn't willing to line em up against each to put them to the test. Anyways, I'm going to bump him up to a 2100, told him to put a mouthpiece in it BEFORE I do the tune(I told him to put one in it before I did it the 1st time, and he cheaped out), and he needed to add some sort of lift pump to it to keep his CP3 happy.

he'll never be happy

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
X2. He's gunna kill the trans no matter how you tune it.
That's why I want it to have a mouthpiece and lift pump 1st. I want to make sure the trans dies. I may go ahead and bump it up GOOD for him and go straight to a HOT tune. I know at the 1900 pulsewidth the 2-3 shift didn't feel the happiest to me, and I wasn't going to be the one to push it on the 3-4 and limp it. The only thing he has on his side is it only has 23K miles on it, so it isn't a high milage unit.

catman3126

Ehhh?.... You don't say?
Jul 24, 2012
NE Oregon
I have no doubt 2100 will limp that especially with a mouthpiece. I have one with 37's limped right away with 1900-1950.

Dirtymaxx03

Aug 4, 2009
Yeah he will never be happy. You'll bump up the tunes and he will fry his transmission. Then he will say it's your fault. If you're gonna bump it up at all go straight to 3400uS and 36*

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
Yeah he will never be happy. You'll bump up the tunes and he will fry his transmission. Then he will say it's your fault. If you're gonna bump it up at all go straight to 3400uS and 36*
He was told and warned by several that the tune I put in the 1st time would limp his trans if he wasn't careful. And he has stated in front of others he knows the trans is on him if it goes(hey, it's more work for me anyways). The 1st tune I did for him was a 1900 with the timing set to peak out around 21 degrees. Figured it was flirting with what a stock 5 speed could hold, just checking to see if I was in the ball park with what others have seen.

And I wouldn't go to 3400 and 36 degrees, I can't afford to buy him an engine. He doesn't even have guages on the truck(another reason why I kept the timing and fuel conservative.