LLY FICM

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
Sounds like you should just stick a reamer down the injector bore so you can fit the LBZ injectors in it. Then LBZ ECM and harness. And reluctor right?
Yea couple other things like mentioned, repin a connector or two. I think BT was making a jumper so you didn't have to repin, but I'm sure he's scaled back on stuff. By the time you get all the parts to make the trans work as a stock 6spd you might as well swap the whole thing if it was stock. Probably a moot point by the time I'd switch my "built" parts over. Right now that's even more screwing around compared to getting a module.
With the cost of the used ones, I am surprised they haven't found some one to remake them.
Right. I figure bosch has some patent bs still so nobody can make a board. Hell the Ford FICM kits are everywhere. Friend checked through GM, nobody in the US has a brand new one (at least that's listed in inventory). They were $2600 even when you could buy a new one, which I'd be fine with if it was NEW.

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
Sounds like you should just stick a reamer down the injector bore so you can fit the LBZ injectors in it. Then LBZ ECM and harness. And reluctor right?
Has anyone tried reaming a head? I remember talk about turning down the OD of the injector

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Stopped by All American Auto Dismantling. They have one or more in stock but want $2200 each. Damn near the price of a whole engine. Maybe more

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
Yea couple other things like mentioned, repin a connector or two. I think BT was making a jumper so you didn't have to repin, but I'm sure he's scaled back on stuff. By the time you get all the parts to make the trans work as a stock 6spd you might as well swap the whole thing if it was stock. Probably a moot point by the time I'd switch my "built" parts over. Right now that's even more screwing around compared to getting a module.

Right. I figure bosch has some patent bs still so nobody can make a board. Hell the Ford FICM kits are everywhere. Friend checked through GM, nobody in the US has a brand new one (at least that's listed in inventory). They were $2600 even when you could buy a new one, which I'd be fine with if it was NEW.
The LLY FICM has been discontinued for a while since pre pandemic.

As for BT he did do a jumper. I have one. But super hard to get a hold of him and I believe he removed from his site. He is working on newer stuff.

I believe RPM Russ said he can do one as well.

If you decide to go LBZ swap, post up. I may have a few spare things. Also have a pull out too.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Wait, so the 5 speed TCM is not compatible with the LBZ ecm? Different commutation protocol? Or something else?

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
The LLY FICM has been discontinued for a while since pre pandemic.

As for BT he did do a jumper. I have one. But super hard to get a hold of him and I believe he removed from his site. He is working on newer stuff.

I believe RPM Russ said he can do one as well.

If you decide to go LBZ swap, post up. I may have a few spare things. Also have a pull out too.
Thanks for the offer, but it's not in the cards for me right now.
Wait, so the 5 speed TCM is not compatible with the LBZ ecm? Different commutation protocol? Or something else?
That was the impression I got from reading a few threads, but I could be wrong. I think in 06 was the transition to the newer high speed GMLAN with the twisted pair comm wires

Reactions: 2004LB7

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
Thanks for the offer, but it's not in the cards for me right now.

That was the impression I got from reading a few threads, but I could be wrong. I think in 06 was the transition to the newer high speed GMLAN with the twisted pair comm wires
Yes I believe that is correct it went to high speed GMLAN Were as the LLY was I believe a combo of Low speed can and Class 2 ? or something like that.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Has anyone tried reaming a head? I remember talk about turning down the OD of the injector

Yup. Friend of mine did it to a buddies truck. No issues to date. Think he took .015 off or .020. It’s been quite a few years since then

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Im curious. Has anyone taken an LLY FICM apart to see what fails in them? Has anyone taken one apart to see if the internals could be replicated?
I ask bc I have an EE son who loves a challenge.....

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
Im curious. Has anyone taken an LLY FICM apart to see what fails in them? Has anyone taken one apart to see if the internals could be replicated?
I ask bc I have an EE son who loves a challenge.....
Not sure what the common failure is, but apparently mine had a capacitor that shorted out and torched the board. Couple videos on YT have shown similar failures. Lady I spoke to at SIA acted like they couldn't replace the processor if it went bad? I was about to ask if they could even fix them at all or if it was a money grab haha

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
Yup. Friend of mine did it to a buddies truck. No issues to date. Think he took .015 off or .020. It’s been quite a few years since then
I haven't compared a cutaway of both style injectors, but is there a reason the LBZ have a step on the OD? .015 doesn't seem like much to make any difference other than prevent installing the incorrect ones. I wonder if a shop could put LBZ solenoids on LLY sticks

shakenfake

Moron
Sep 15, 2022
Shlumpt, TX
Not sure what the common failure is, but apparently mine had a capacitor that shorted out and torched the board. Couple videos on YT have shown similar failures. Lady I spoke to at SIA acted like they couldn't replace the processor if it went bad? I was about to ask if they could even fix them at all or if it was a money grab haha

Could always do one of those custom PCB websites that often times offer you a free board. Just copy the traces exactly and unsolder/resolder everything over from old board to the new board. If the board is the problem I mean.

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
Could always do one of those custom PCB websites that often times offer you a free board. Just copy the traces exactly and unsolder/resolder everything over from old board to the new board. If the board is the problem I mean.

I wouldn't even know where to start with that, or what place would be best

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I would not be surprised if it was a multi layer board as those are quite common on boards of this complexity. Plus unsoldering and resoldering those thousand pin chips is not fun even with the proper heat guns.

Now reverse engineering one would make someone a decent amount of cash at least for a short bit. As long as the chips are not proprietary

I wonder how different, really the LB7 FICM is from the LLY. How much work would be required to convert between them.

Last edited:

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I wouldn't even know where to start with that, or what place would be best
bigclive would be my first choice for figuring out the circuit. He does this quite a bit on his channel. Mostly smaller circuits but occasionally more complex

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
I would not be surprised if it was a multi layer board as those are quite common on boards of this complexity. Plus unsoldering and resoldering those thousand pin chips is not fun even with the proper heat guns.

Now reverse engineering one would make someone a decent amount of cash at least for a short bit. As long as the chips are not proprietary

I wonder how different, really the LB7 FICM is from the LLY. How much work would be required to convert between them.
That is a good Question.

See Post 7 here https://www.duramaxdiesels.com/forum/threads/ficms-swappable.39078/

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Guys run LLY injectors in LBZs so why can't we do it the other way around? In theory it "should" work as long as the resistances are the same across the solenoids.