FICM's swappable?

RPM Motorsports

smokinum
May 13, 2008
Central Valley Ca.
The communication Style is different. If you use an lb7 FICM in an 05 truck it will not work. If you use an lb7 FICM on an LLY engine in an 01-02 LB7 truck it will work. The LLY FICM will not work on an LLY in an 01-02 Lb7 truck, using the Lb7 controls. The inlet/outlet ports are in different areas as well. The pinout is identicle on both units.

Last edited:

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
There was a discussion in the I've seen the impossible I believe thread about converting a LB7 to a LLY to rid the injector failure issue in the LB7.

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
The communication Style is different. If you use an lb7 FICM in an 05 truck it will not work. If you use an lb7 FICM on an LLY engine in an 01-02 LB7 truck it will work. The LLY FICM will not work on an LLY in an 01-02 Lb7 truck, using the Lb7 controls. The inlet/outlet ports are in different areas as well. The pinout is identicle on both units.

Have you tried this Russ? when we did my harness, Ben decided that the databus was just labeled differently, but that the signal was identical.

RPM Motorsports

smokinum
May 13, 2008
Central Valley Ca.
Yeah, I couldn't get it to work either (LLY FICM, on an LLY engine, in an 01-02). Swaped in the LB7 FICM, and she fired right up. As you know, that swap is fun tuning wise lol. It took a bunch of trial and error to get a good solid "base" tune.

PAT

EASY DAY
Aug 21, 2011
your back yard

Confused. So this LB7 ficm is useless for my 05 lly?

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
I guess it is useless. I didn't try it because we had already made the new harness by the time we did any looking into the Data Bus itself. We didn't see any reason it wouldn't work on paper...but if people have tried it and it hasn't worked...then it doesn't work. I don't know if all things were equal in these other attempts.

tpitt

Jul 19, 2008
Kalifornia
If your getting a U105 code check all your grounds. There is one on the front crossmember and one under the drivers door side. I went through heck with mine until I pulled up a TSB, and cleaned my grounds. The dealer couldn't even fix it.

Kennedy Diesel

Mar 13, 2009
They should be darn near dime a dozen from salvage as they are not prone to fail. I have a brand new one here that should be LLY that was ordered by mistake.

tpitt

Jul 19, 2008
Kalifornia
so did you try the grounds? The dealer changed my ficm and ecm and changed them back to no avail. The grounds have to be super clean.

PAT

EASY DAY
Aug 21, 2011
your back yard
Didn't change them. But I added another and ran it to a ground on the truck as well as trying it to the ground on the battery.