Lift pump???

AKlowriderZ71

May 14, 2012
Wyoming
Hey guys, I've done a ton of searching around here for lift pump info. I've learned enough here to know that I do want a lift pump. But I'm not convinced that I need additional filtration, and 500+ bones on for a FASS or AirDog pump isn't too appealing to me either.

So, on to my question. Is there any reason that a basic lift pump won't work? My truck is stock, and I have no plans to do any serious modding(stock trans) beyond a 30-50hp tune.

Something like this.
liftpump.jpg

I'd wire it to a relay, triggered by the ignition switch. What to you guys say? Am I wrong for thinking like this?

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
You do NOT want to run one of those. That is a transfer tank pump for the 3500 cab and chassis model you have pictured which is a 30GPH at 0 PSI flow rating. It is also the same pump GM used on teh 6.5, and it could barely keep up with one of them. Also you want a pump that is flow on fail so that if your lift pump stops working, you can still drive it. Look at teh KENNEDY single pump. that is why I run as well as many others. It is VERY quiet, and not that expensive.

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
I'm sorry to say your lb7 injectors would love a 2 Micron fuel set up. The factory filters don't stop as much as you would think. You can build your own fuel system with a differant fuel filter set up for cheap.

AKlowriderZ71

May 14, 2012
Wyoming
You do NOT want to run one of those. That is a transfer tank pump for the 3500 cab and chassis model you have pictured which is a 30GPH at 0 PSI flow rating. It is also the same pump GM used on teh 6.5, and it could barely keep up with one of them. Also you want a pump that is flow on fail so that if your lift pump stops working, you can still drive it. Look at teh KENNEDY single pump. that is why I run as well as many others. It is VERY quiet, and not that expensive.

Thank you for the help. I knew it was a transfer pump, but did not know that it wasn't capable of the fuel volume needed.

I just looked up that Kennedy pump, and I'll keep that as an option. At 220 plus shipping to AK, it's still more than I want to spend.

I'm sorry to say your lb7 injectors would love a 2 Micron fuel set up. The factory filters don't stop as much as you would think. You can build your own fuel system with a differant fuel filter set up for cheap.

Can you give me some more info on building my own fuel system? Do's and don'ts, and which parts are necessary & which parts are fluff?? I'm not building a race truck or sled puller here. She's stock, and might get a small tune someday. I'm after logevity and MPG's. The pulling power it already has from the factory is plenty enough for me as it sits.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Thank you for the help. I knew it was a transfer pump, but did not know that it wasn't capable of the fuel volume needed.

I just looked up that Kennedy pump, and I'll keep that as an option. At 220 plus shipping to AK, it's still more than I want to spend.

Can you give me some more info on building my own fuel system? Do's and don'ts, and which parts are necessary & which parts are fluff?? I'm not building a race truck or sled puller here. She's stock, and might get a small tune someday. I'm after logevity and MPG's. The pulling power it already has from the factory is plenty enough for me as it sits.

Imop,ive yet to see proof a good filtering system prolong lb7 injector life. The originals in my truck got 90k on them the next long lasting set with my air dog II plus my factory filter setup went 64k.

While more filtering isnt a bad thing, dont expect it to make your injectors outlast the averge life span by much, if any at all.

AKlowriderZ71

May 14, 2012
Wyoming
I had actually came to that conclusion myself after doing alot of reading on DD. Plenty of you guys with additional filtration are still going through injectors. That's why I'm not too worried about it. I run the better quality WIX filters, and I'm on a 15K mile interval.

TBH, replacing LB7 injectors isn't really that bad of a job. Yes, it takes most of a day, but it's not really that bad. I'll just deal with it as needed.

What about a Holley "black" pump?

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
im kinda looking at using a CUMMINS 12V FUEL PUMP

ebay and craigslist have them under a 100$

You do realize that is the pump that has left more CUMMINS engines on the side of the road than any other part on the DODGE truck and CUMMINS engine combined don't you? There is a reason that DODGE owners ditch that thing as fast as they can(and why DODGE NO LONGER EVEN SELLS THEM), it is a POS at best. It is designed to push upwards of 15-16PSI at 0 flow, and has no built in relief valve as the CUMMINS has a regulator in the return line outlet fitting. It is a fairly loud pump, only pumps about 50-60 GPH(at 2-3 PSI), and is definately not a flow on fail design(hence why it leaves the CUMMINS on the side of the road when it quits).

SgtKilroy

'Merica!
Sep 30, 2009
SoCal
I'd put an Airdog on there and call it a day. easy install and the money is change compared to your CP3 and injectors.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
I put on a secondary fuel filter on my truck to extend my filter changes. I do the cat at 20K could even go 30K and my stocker at 40K. Cat fliters are a lot cheaper too.

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
currently employe a 6.5 lift pump.. left over form my 6.6 repower of the 6.5 2 micron fuel filter with a 14 micron f/w sep
only 3/8" line is 6" to either side of the pump everything else is 1/2"
with clean filters i maintain 26k on a van tune.. (250hp)
unlike then 6.5 fuel system where the fuel doesnt cylce through with out the engine running.. dmax will cylce through the system with engine off..
24770 filter base(wix)
BF7587(baldwin)
BF1259
1/2mpt x1/2" hb x 3
1/2 mpt x 3/8" hb
i have ~100 in the filter setup..
filters are common and will ast 25k on a 15L engine which is about 5,000 gallons or 60-80k miles for us

74719_4464722129731_1563956598_n.jpg

Last edited:

AKlowriderZ71

May 14, 2012
Wyoming
unlike then 6.5 fuel system where the fuel doesnt cylce through with out the engine running.. dmax will cylce through the system with engine off..

What??? :confused:

If I understand the rest of your post, you converted your 6.5 truck to a 6.6, and are still using the 6.5 lift pump, successfully. I see a van 250hp tune listed also. Do you know if you are near the limits of that pump being able to keep up?

Thank you for your posts. I'm learning alot here guys! :thumb:

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
What??? :confused:

If I understand the rest of your post, you converted your 6.5 truck to a 6.6, and are still using the 6.5 lift pump, successfully. I see a van 250hp tune listed also. Do you know if you are near the limits of that pump being able to keep up?

Thank you for your posts. I'm learning alot here guys! :thumb:

I know somebody still running the stock 6.5 pump on his LB7 with a small 40HP tune, and from what I gathered from how his ran it was running out of fuel if he pushed it. Personally I wouldn't run one as it is only rated for 30 GPH free flow, and if it fails you are dead in the water as it is NOT a flow on fail design.