LBZ struck by lightning!!

muhasamituffie

Dec 24, 2010
haha Yep I know what your sayin.. if i cant get it going with a new ECM n TCM il just have to part it out or sell it. Hate to kill the dirty though she hell of a truck

muhasamituffie

Dec 24, 2010
Ha well bought it back now for the hard task of gettin it running

1. with key in i can shift my from P>M>d>r wihtout having to push the brake.. weird ignition?
2. buying a new ECM, BCM should be here next week and then see if she will run :D
3. My Rearview mirror decides to work again now and my hi n low beams n my signals all work! but rest of power is dead but i will keep ya updated on wether a new ECM,BCM fixes that all up
4. My blower stuck on fulltime til dead battery.. so tahts the resistor under the glovebox?
5. Windshield wipers on all time when key in ... no control over them and the bugwash doesnt work either.... any info is appreciated.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
well since it hit your antenna, that means your radio is probably fried off the bat. from there, it probably started jumping wires with the least amount of resistance next to where the antenna wire ran through. id follow your antenna wire and look for any burnt wires around it

Kartmnn

Oct 27, 2011
East Providence RI
I think there was a thread this week about a radio that was installed with a bare wire and caused the truck to stall. You may want to unplug the radio all together before the new ecm. Does anything change by pulling fuses, like the wiper motor? I have a trailer wired so bad that if I plug it in, the dash lights and odm go out. Just a thought...

muhasamituffie

Dec 24, 2010
well since it hit your antenna, that means your radio is probably fried off the bat. from there, it probably started jumping wires with the least amount of resistance next to where the antenna wire ran through. id follow your antenna wire and look for any burnt wires around it

Well i followed the antenna and wire that is under the under the hood was blew off so i guess il have to get a new antenna wire or might try fixing this one but havent gotten it apart to see if its do-able.

I have working signals and hi/low beams and my rearview mirror work but they are very fast and intermittent asif something is shorted or burt out somewhere but they work. Got a new ECM in there but did not seem to do anything if much? Maybe the engine and glow plug lights stay on a bit longer but I was a few beer deep already into her. Pulled my ignition and workin on the BCM but that lil bugger is eluding me sofar.

Tried pulling fuses but they all seem good. Should have new TransfercaseModucle, Allison Module, BCM and ignition here today. Well thats about where a guys at now HOPEFULLY she will run once again.

HAHAHA the RADIO decided to light up when i function the key and was able to spit out my 6 cd's that i had in it but was not willing to play anything or switch to radio or even stay lit up after it spit em out. STRANGE

Last edited:

muhasamituffie

Dec 24, 2010
Got the BCM out but damn SGI salvage sent me the wrong part.. so i started to tinker on that BCM and found her to have some fried innerds!! wooot! finally found a part that I know is NFG wicked!! should have my proper BCM come friday

TRUBBS

Jul 6, 2011
His last 3 post have been talking about how he already did buy it back & how he is now working on trying to get it going.

muhasamituffie

Dec 24, 2010
I highly doubt it ruined the whole harness and trans solenoids and everything. Throw a new ECM/TCM/BCM/IPC in it for starters, and see if it runs again...I bet it will. You can find all those things cheap from ebay/junkyard

Then just go from there and see what else doesnt work (window switches, etc)

Ben

SO waiting on BCM maybe tommorow?

But have new : ECM, TCM, Ignition, pulled the blown up battery and have yet to find any burns aside from my BCM stinking to high heaven of burnt electrical. Also installed a new fan blow resistor and that fixed my fan blowing full time. now to get at those wipers have just had the fuse pulled.

My chip also can communicate with truck .. NO COdes being thrown.. but when i go to start it does not even try to start. Could it possibly be my fried BCM stopping me from starting?

Last edited:

muhasamituffie

Dec 24, 2010
new ecm, tcm, bcm, ignition .. chip communicates.. started by grounding out starter and she fired up and ran... still nothing when i try the key... and cluster must be fried.. no windows or doorlocks.. only thing that works on cluster is engine light and glow plug light... soo WTF!! any help appreciated

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
Correct me if im wrong but the ignition wont work without a radio or in this case a good working radio.Do you have 1 you can stick in there to see if it will start?I know when you buy an aftermarket raido you have to buy some module or something to wire in or the truck doesnt run.

Dirtymaxx03

Aug 4, 2009
Correct me if im wrong but the ignition wont work without a radio or in this case a good working radio.Do you have 1 you can stick in there to see if it will start?I know when you buy an aftermarket raido you have to buy some module or something to wire in or the truck doesnt run.

i think you may be right. Something to do with the anti-theft system

muhasamituffie

Dec 24, 2010
yeah no working radio. she runs no codes.. drives but shifts rough but learns better through time. only using a pos superchip tuner to read... no cluster, no radio, no windows or locks but have all signals and only brights.. and my cargo light works and also my lumbar and power seats work with rearview mirror working aswell with readout. sometimes passenger rear windows goes down n up by itself when key is actuated lol

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
Note to self,never buy a vehicle that was struck by lightning! :D

You will have a zillion things to change to get it running and operating correctly.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
You only need an aftermarket module if you want to keep your door chime/steering wheel buttons/Onstar.

Exactly.

If I had a nickle every time some idiot stereo shop told their customers "OMG you need this module with an aftermarket radio, otherwise the truck wont start, the airbags wont work, etc"

The reason everyone does the module is, as stated above, so you can keep your door/alert chimes, keep your steering wheel controls working, keep your onstar working, and keep your retained accessory power working (so the aftermarket radio stays on after shutdown until the door is opened).

Think about it. How silly would that be for GM to setup the engine anti-theft system that way??? OMG I turned my radio up so loud that it blew a fuse, now my truck wont start and im stuck in the middle of nowhere!!!! :D