LBZ: LBZ glow plugs, how long should they last?

tlohman

Jul 27, 2010
Bay Area, CA
I'm at 74K miles on an 07 Classic LBZ and getting code P0671 Glow Plug circuit on cylinder 1. Is this about the right number of miles for a "normal" glow plug replacement?

The truck has been hauling horse trailers over its life, but nothing strenuous. Mostly in a very temperate climate near San Francisco too. Since I'm new to diesels, I just want to calibrate my expectations.

GM customer service seems willing to negotiate on service cost, even though there isn't a specific recall/TSB on my specific year/model, but I don't want to push on GM if this is an normal maintenance item.

VIN is 1GCHK23D27F129694

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
It shouldn't be a normal maintenance item, but be seems to be on the LBZs. There is a TSB on the 06s that if one goes bad they all should be replaced. IIRC some guys where getting them all replaced under emissions warranty for the $100. I have just been doing them myself 1 at a time as they go bad. My fist one went out at 65K and I have had 3 more go bad in the last 15K. I too live in a mild climate, but do make a few trips to very cold areas a year.

tlohman

Jul 27, 2010
Bay Area, CA
Thanks, very helpful to hear.

I just found out for 07 my engine components are warranted for 5 yrs, 100K, so I'm starting the negotiation with my local dealer for warranty work. It will be interesting to see if they just replace the one showing bad or all the glow plugs.

Trotorx2

Sep 21, 2006
Beaumont, Texas
I had one go bad recently and the dealer replaced all 8 and charged me the $100 then a week later sent me a check for $100 saying GM paid for it all.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
as dozerboy said, its not a regular maintenance item. There is no reason they shouldnt go several hundred thousand miles before needing replacement.

Unless the truck is actually throwing a code for a bad glow plug I would leave it alone.

coker6303

Keep Calm and Chive On!!
Aug 6, 2009
Houston, TX
Do you have to change them or can you just ignore the code in Efi and live without it working? I have 2 bad on my LMM now, I replaced 1 a while back.

I turned the codes off for now, it's summer time!

07bluelbz

Work Hard & Play Harder
Sep 6, 2009
Beaumont,Texas
Had one go bad on my #6. I bought a new one from O reilly for like $17 and replaced it myself. No issues since knock on wood.