Help: lbz cracked piston?

dwax

Jul 21, 2009
under a full throttle run my truck suddenly lost all power and started pouring white smoke, (threw cyl #4 misfire) so i pulled over, shut it down and checked all fluids but all was normal, no water or fuel in the oil. Cranked it back up and the engine was running really rough and stil pouring white smoke. the smoke smells like burnt oil.. I checked my inj. rates and #4 was at 11.9 with all the rest being around -4 to 2. I put a new injector in #4 and it runs exactly the same. does this sound like a cracked piston? It gave me no prior symptoms! Oh ya, and i have bad crankcase BLOWBY!

Last edited:

wdino73

Sep 25, 2009
Versailles, Ky
Sorry to say but I would say yes, I just went thru this with mine, pull the number 4 glow plug an the injector fuse then have someone crank it over if it's a cracked piston thier will be no compression, u can test it with your finger, Good Luck

giterdirty06

Diesel Junkie
Mar 16, 2009
Utah
Yeah man that's exactly what mine did as well. Except when my piston went it shot the dipstick out and oil went everywhere.

Last edited:

dwax

Jul 21, 2009
thanks for the replies. i was hoping not but it looks like its time for a build. EXPENSIVE!!!

JD4440

<< Lo-Carb Monster
Feb 27, 2009
Orlinda, TN
There is a thread on here somewhere it would be a good idea to post in that list all the specifics at the time of the failure. I believe Trentnell started it IIRC

dwax

Jul 21, 2009
it has 50000 miles with 20000 being hard miles and the first 30k being completely stock!(even tuning). it was my race tune which runs about 12.90. i dont understand this, i guess it was a freak accident! Can anyone reccomend a good piston to go with my mpi twins that are on the way?

dwax

Jul 21, 2009
thanks. thats what i was just figuring from my research, might as well do it right!

dwax

Jul 21, 2009
i already had the twins on the way, and i was plannin on leaving my engine alone!