LLY: Lb7 lly turbo swap.

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
Latest update on this thread. I blew the headgaskets at 40psi. Shop that did my studs failed to pre-stretch them. Beyond pissed but taking the oportunity to improve a few areas while im in it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ummm nope. That shop screwed you over. 40 pounds of boost doesn't blow Headgaskets on a stock Duramax. And with studs it certainly isn't a concern at all. They didn't do something right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

tsd_billy

Apr 5, 2016
oklahoma city
Its okay they refunded me my 9 grand I paid when i didnt know what any of this was. Doing it all myself since ive got a few motors under my belt now. Its gonna be a runner for sure

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
cracked up pipes and blown head gaskets with head studs...

id start looking into a drive pressure gauge pretty quick

tsd_billy

Apr 5, 2016
oklahoma city
cracked up pipes and blown head gaskets with head studs...

id start looking into a drive pressure gauge pretty quick

If i cant get it locked down with that and a wideband ill be ditching the vgt setup pretty quick. Htt S371 with 4" hx 40 downpipe

tsd_billy

Apr 5, 2016
oklahoma city
b31a9057f2d73e4861452c8e25892705.jpg

tsd_billy

Apr 5, 2016
oklahoma city
These are ARP studs? Do you take paypal? I'll send the money right now.[/

Lol yes and sadly i don't have paypal. If i wasn't 4 states away from home rn id definitely do it. I know someone on here wishes they were 625+ like the ones im putting in now :thumb:

tsd_billy

Apr 5, 2016
oklahoma city
Gonna post my last launch before the heads let go. It apears evident they simply pulled my bolts and droped the studs in. Whick makes me further question my bottom end. But im broke and my crank isnt so who cares..... its just money right?

dirtymax36

2nd place is last
Apr 11, 2013
I guess what I don't understand is how you monitor your drive pressure and boost while driving in current time to keep everything in check. Any way you have it hooked into a map to follow or do you run it all by hand? Running it by hand is basically like fleece controller which may be your drive pressure/head gasket issue

dirtymax36

2nd place is last
Apr 11, 2013
Not to mention there's better chargers to pick if you're wanting bigger power out of it.

tsd_billy

Apr 5, 2016
oklahoma city
I guess what I don't understand is how you monitor your drive pressure and boost while driving in current time to keep everything in check. Any way you have it hooked into a map to follow or do you run it all by hand? Running it by hand is basically like fleece controller which may be your drive pressure/head gasket

Boost is monitored by an isspro 17000 series gauge

It is hand operated, all the way one way is no boost all the way the other is full back pressure and likely extreme drive pressure (its enough to drop my truck 30 mph in 300 feet). Im going about this differently this time tho.
I had stock gaskets under my heads according to my co worker who called me saying "omg they're grade A!!! You got fudged ! " laughing hysterically. So grade c will be going back. Heads will be decked ppe manifolds and up pipes. I went cheap and now im paying for it. But hey you live and learn with projects like these.

Any suggestions or tips to better this setup is appreciated, hsp is working with me to build a custom twin-turbo setup and its gonna be daily driven were trying an s480 over what is now a 3788 with a 10 blade wheel , finger vanes, 6+6 tct wheel , ported and polished , 3" down-pipe to 4" exhaust with a dynapro muffler

When i started this setup, it was all factory exhaust with muffler cut out up until this point

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
Or maybe the shop actually measured piston protrusion and installed grade A gaskets because that's what it needed???

tsd_billy

Apr 5, 2016
oklahoma city
Or maybe the shop actually measured piston protrusion and installed grade A gaskets because that's what it needed???

Lol i wish they were that good to me

I paid for a fully built motor and got injectors and studs done on top of the heads. Pistons are stock , crank is stock , they put a girdle and mains but that does me no good...... im filing a lawsuit against them for the money involved. Anyone who's paid for a 800 hp+ build knows what kind of money i lost.

Idk whether to buy an lly and build that instead at this point or just keep on moving with this.

Im getting more updates via text as we speak from my dad who is currently tearing it down to a block :roflmao: this is getting expensive and i thing i need a drink