Lb7 fuel rail info

MAXLLY

No Lemming Here
Aug 15, 2007
San Diego
I am working on this kinda stuff... I am prepared to waste a fuel rail and make new.

I looked at it like this... (i always oversimplify and use common sense)

If we filled up a 5 gallon bucket and poked a hole in the bottom, releasing the plug and opening the hole would cause a leak. This leak is against 5 gallons of pressurized fluid.

If i apply this same thinking to poking a hole in the bottom of a Dam... the system as a whole will realize less pressure drop and volumn depleation.

Leaving only the injector, FICM and fuel viscosity to concern. BANKS still running alcohol in the trucks? Wonder why?.... perhaps cause its thin, cold and burns?

I realize this is a gross comparison (5 gls versus a large body of water), but it works.

jus my 2 pennies

In review this post is OT... sorry.

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
I am working on this kinda stuff... I am prepared to waste a fuel rail and make new.

I looked at it like this... (i always oversimplify and use common sense)

If we filled up a 5 gallon bucket and poked a hole in the bottom, releasing the plug and opening the hole would cause a leak. This leak is against 5 gallons of pressurized fluid.

If i apply this same thinking to poking a hole in the bottom of a Dam... the system as a whole will realize less pressure drop and volumn depleation.

Leaving only the injector, FICM and fuel viscosity to concern. BANKS still running alcohol in the trucks? Wonder why?.... perhaps cause its thin, cold and burns?

I realize this is a gross comparison (5 gls versus a large body of water), but it works.

jus my 2 pennies

In review this post is OT... sorry.

:confused: what you talking about willis:D

Banks runs alchohol? better more complete burn

wouldnt a large body of water have more pressure because of hydrostatic pressure

MAXLLY

No Lemming Here
Aug 15, 2007
San Diego
I thought i read a discussion on DP that BANKS was running a little alky, makes sense to me. On another site i read that BANKS was running a blended fuel... #2, alky, lubricity additive maybe??? I take half of what i read and throw it out.

I was off on a little tangent with the rail thingy. Bottom line it's my thinking I want to increase line/rail size in a effort to create more volumn and less pressure drop when that injector is opened. Perhaps even a bigger issue with bigger injectors?... I have a bigger leak?

What do i know? I'm a nobody:D

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
more volume makes sense!

Banks probably is adding different fuels? who knows

I know personally accetone never helped me

Mike

hmmm....
Feb 17, 2007
San Angelo, TX
I sure like this thread, I'll do some tear down and take pictures for comparison. Next vacation that is. Bookmarked for sure. Thanks Simon.

MaxFarmer

<--Heavy Smoker
Jan 22, 2007
Albion, Nebraska
Hey Simon, is there any way you can edit one of those pictures to show where the piece (rail fitting) that you are drilling out is at? Thanks. :hug:

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
Hey Simon, is there any way you can edit one of those pictures to show where the piece (rail fitting) that you are drilling out is at? Thanks. :hug:

If i knew how i would,But on each rail where the HP fuel line goes in
there is the rail fittings, you pull the rail fittings off and will probably need a magnet to get the orfice
pull them out and use a drill press to increase the size:)

Simon, what is the thread size of the rail pressure sensor? M12x1.5 or M18x1.5?

On the lb7 i think its m12,but i would have to check to make sure

MaxFarmer

<--Heavy Smoker
Jan 22, 2007
Albion, Nebraska
If i knew how i would,But on each rail where the HP fuel line goes in
there is the rail fittings, you pull the rail fittings off and will probably need a magnet to get the orfice
pull them out and use a drill press to increase the size:)

Makes sense, Thanks. Are there crush washers or something like that that I would have to have handy to put it back together?

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
Makes sense, Thanks. Are there crush washers or something like that that I would have to have handy to put it back together?

Nope,At first i was going to just pull the orfice right out
but the rail inlet fitting is actually tightened against the orfice close to a 1/8" difference

If you want i can try and get the TQ specs on the fitting

The Neens

BFD
Staff member
Aug 10, 2006
Monrovia, Ca.
Obviously not sure what the Banks truck is doing, but I know when I mixed race gas with methanol our heap didn't run very well...

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
The LLY comes with a .75mm restrictor in the driver's side rail where it feeds the passenger rail.

The LLY has 7 holes that are .15mm each in the injectors.

So the restrictor has a .44 mm2 hole area.

The injector has a .12 mm2 hole area.

We never fire two injectors at the same time. So even if a bunch of small holes flowed as much a bigger one (based on area) it still is over 3 times the necessary flow.

I dyno'd before drilling the rail, then after. No change. Not sure what it is for.

LB7's are 7 x .16mm injectors IIRC.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
PS - The Haters claim Banks runs alcohol. But at the last event, they asked the NADM (race organization) to bring the fuel. The NADM did not, but I believe the Banks guys when they say they run diesel fuel only. Well, and a LITTLE nitrous...

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
The LLY comes with a .75mm restrictor in the driver's side rail where it feeds the passenger rail.

The LLY has 7 holes that are .15mm each in the injectors.

So the restrictor has a .44 mm2 hole area.

The injector has a .12 mm2 hole area.

We never fire two injectors at the same time. So even if a bunch of small holes flowed as much a bigger one (based on area) it still is over 3 times the necessary flow.

I dyno'd before drilling the rail, then after. No change. Not sure what it is for.

LB7's are 7 x .16mm injectors IIRC.

Thanks Pat:D