lb7 dual fueler tensioner issue.

Jordan715

Nov 3, 2023
waupaca
So i bought a 02 with compunds and ppe dual fueler. Ive had 3 belts on it now and after a few idler issues addressed, now its just my tensioner. Problem is i ordered the new one from rock auto and it fits and looks almost same as my last but wont quite pull enough to get the belt on. Is there a specific tensioner i need to get? the part number on my old tensioner wont come up online (3178130). only real difference is my old tensioners backside has allen heads where it sits in motor and new one is normal oval and circle. Any input appreciated, like i said 3 new belts installed (ppe 113061420) fine and now with new tensioner just wont go.

Ron Nielson

Oct 11, 2009
Berryton, KS
Well, it may be the tensioner, or the belt needs to be a little longer, right? I would ask PPE what they think. They have had much experience with these things.

Reactions: Jordan715

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I thought most with dual CP3's used fixed tensioners due to the spring loaded ones not holding the belt well enough

Reactions: Jordan715

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Sounds like your old tensioner is a Dayco style which most people tend to prefer for higher RPM dual fueler setups. I'm not sure how you're trying to get the belt on, but I've always had the best luck by putting the belt on all the grooved pulleys and trying to slip it over one of the smooth idler pulleys as I pull back on the tensioner.

Jordan715

Nov 3, 2023
waupaca
Typically yes, sometimes I've not been able to cure them without a manual tensioner.
I ended up finding the tesnioner on parts geek. But if it happens again ill have to try the manual. I know it doesnt take much but everything seems to line up perfect. And I would agree it was definetly higher rpm related,but to be fair my tensioner was pretty worn in my opinion so hopefully the new one fixes it.

Jordan715

Nov 3, 2023
waupaca
I got my new tensioner on seemed alot better. First hard pull blew it right off. Belt was visibly undamaged, put it back on been babying it still shredded it up smh. Any ideas? it looked a little on the inside of one of the idlers(bottom right under alternator), i replaced them all, bearings all seem fine. When the truck is running with hood up it all looks good. i have pics and videos but i dont know how to get them on here says link wont work idk.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
If you can put a straight edge across the pulleys, idlers and tensioner to see if anything is off. While it may visually look ok, being cocked or out of alignment may only show issues at certain RPMs or load

When I built my homemade duel CP3 setup I used a straight edge to make sure it was in alignment. I'm pretty sure I had to shim one of the idlers. I think I may have replaced another with the plastic type that has the outside flanges to help keep the belt on. Stock tensioner and no issues ever loosing a belt

Reactions: TheBac

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
The ppe brackets don’t align the pulley correctly to the rest of the pulleys on a lb7. Everyone I’ve put on, I’ve needed to shim it to get it aligned correctly. Otherwise you will keep throwing belts no matter the tensioner.

FWIW, I ran the dayco style for many years because I could up the tension and ran a green HD gates belt.