LB7 an LBZ Flexplate the same?

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I believe the flexplate is the same, but the flywheel is different.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
Do not use LB7/LLY flexplates on LBZ's or vice-versa. There is a different amount of counterweight. LLY/LB7 = 3 large holes, LBZ+ = 4 holes.

Harmonic balancer is different too. LBZ+ = 180 deg of weight, LB7/LLY = ~90 deg of weight.

NOW ...

This all depends on the crank. If you use an LBZ+ crank, use LBZ+ flywheel and balancer.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
The Allison has a flexplate and the ZF a flywheel, right? I know it's a noob question lol

Nick

No, Allison trucks have both a flywheel and a flexplate. The flexplates are the same, but the flywheels are different. Flywheels are used for balance, but flexplates are only used for bolting the converter to the crankshaft. The flywheel is between the flexplate and the engine. When you take the converter bolts out, the flywheel has the bigger holes that the heads of the bolts are down inside. It is a big heavy piece probably around 3/8" thick. The flexplate is real thin (I would guess somewhere between 1/16" and 1/8" thick)

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
DOH! I should have read all the posts.

Normally an engine with an automagic trans has a single piece attached to the crank which is called a flexplate. And normally a Flywheel refers to part of clutch.

Our flexplate is two pieces. A cast steel counterweight with a OD gear for the starter, and a thin metal plate that attaches to the converter.

My bad. But when you take the "flexplate" off a Dmax, it's usually both parts you remove.