LASIK surgery

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Who has had it, and do you have any regrets? I've worn glasses almost all my life (since I started driving, but was told I needed them in 1st or 2nd grade). I have recently been considering LASIK, but being how important vision and eyes are, I'm a little apprehensive. My vision is corrected to 20/15 with glasses, and I don't have any problems driving at night or anything. I've heard a few horror stories, and I've heard a bunch of people who are very happy they did it. Anyone know any reason I should reconsider? I called a place that my optometrist recommended yesterday, and they acted like they could get me in for surgery in a week or two.

Reactions: SmokeShow

OleBlackyLBZ

May 22, 2020
A guy I work with just had it done about 2 months ago, I think he is in his late 50's. He is super happy he had it done.

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
I'd give a left nut to have it done. I've wanted it for years but haven't wanted to spend the money on it. At this point, late 30s, I'm only hesitant about it bc I'll be pissed when I still end up needing reading glasses. So, with that in mind, I'd be most torn on how to go about the correction. I'd be inclined to have one eye setup for nearsighted and one for far. My mom did it that way. My aunt did it the more typical way with both eyes able to see at distance. My mom & aunt both did it at the same time a couple decades ago now. Both were 20/20 or better afterwards & as far as I know, both can still see fantastic and they're approaching or are over 60. IDK if my aunt has to have readers or not.

A guy I work with who had it done over a decade ago, same age as my mom & aunt, got both eyes to see at distance. He has to have readers now. That's within the last 5 years though I believe.

OleBlackyLBZ

May 22, 2020
Ya'll are going to think I'm crazy and laugh me to another site but personally I would use this instead of getting surgery done. It takes some dedication to do it 6 times per day but it's amazing stuff.

Then here is the directions...

cdbright

JUST RENT IT
Dec 16, 2008
Salt Lake City, UT
i had the old school scrape and re-lap method done about 10 years ago and it worked great. They were gong to do lasik but i asked to see if they could do either and she said i qualified for both and the scrape was about $1,500 cheaper at the time so went with it. I think that only works if you have surface issues that can be scraped of, if it is deep in the eye then they prob require laser to get in there

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
My wife had it done about 8yrs ago. Not sure what procedure exactly, but she was in pain for a few days, very sensitive to light. But now she's happy it's done, great results.

My grandpa had it done about 10 years ago and he is beyond happy he did it! He is 68 years old

That is surprising, usually they won't do older folks because "they'll just get cataracts anyway". This is what my cousin told me (who works at the eye doctor)

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
The other thing I never decided on is whether I think I'd do LASIK or PRK. Josh, have you researched both? Anyone have or know someone that's had PRK? PRK is the laser correction method whereas LASIK is where they pull back a flap on the surface, correct the cornea and lay the flap back down.

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
My wife had it done about 8yrs ago. Not sure what procedure exactly, but she was in pain for a few days, very sensitive to light. But now she's happy it's done, great results.

That is surprising, usually they won't do older folks because "they'll just get cataracts anyway". This is what my cousin told me (who works at the eye doctor)

Proof that some folks will do anything for a buck, even doctors. ;) Some of those clinics survive/thrive on turnover. An economy of volume, rather than large profit margins. So yeah, more butts in the operating seat means more money in their pocket. NBD to them if it's for a less than ideal candidate, they get paid the same.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I have a cousin who had it done. Apparently worked great. But about 10 years later she had to wear glasses again. Eyes to continue to change. So be prepared to go back to glasses at some point or get the treatment again.

I'm fortunate to have good eyesight. Better than 20/20 up close and probably 20/20 at a distance. My problem, that I've noticed as I get older, late 30s now, is not that my eyesight is getting worse but that they take longer to focus. If I'm staring at my phone for example and look up at the TV, It can take a few seconds before it's sharp. When I was in my teens, there was no noticeable delay.

If this get bad enough as I age, and there is a treatment for it, I would gladly take it. If it is laser surgery then I would not hesitate. But as far as I know laser doesn't work for that. Only corrects for near and far sidedness

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
I personally have had it done. I had mine done in Jan 2019. I can't recall what I was at pre-surgery but within 24hrs of surgery I was 25/20 and then settled in at 20/15. I would 100% recommend it to anyone BUT I would urge you to find the best place in your area regardless of cost. I also would urge you to find a place that is 100% laser operation vs the blade style for the cornea flap. It is much less painful from what I've heard. The most annoying part is wearing the plastic eye protectors for a few days to ensure you don't rub them.

The biggest thing I learned was to buy awesome tape to hold the protectors on as cheap tape sucks and you end up with them not staying on overnight.

darkness

Jul 15, 2009
vegas
I had LASIK done around 1999-2000. Been great no problems to date. I’ve had a (very slight) blurry eye just shortly after having it done and just never went back to have it fixed. But it’s not that bad and hasn’t really changed much either. I recommend it. It’s funny to think how cheap it is to when I had it done. I think I paid $3500.

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
Proof that some folks will do anything for a buck, even doctors. ;) Some of those clinics survive/thrive on turnover. An economy of volume, rather than large profit margins. So yeah, more butts in the operating seat means more money in their pocket. NBD to them if it's for a less than ideal candidate, they get paid the same.

True story.

I asked the wife, she had Lasik. Doctor made her do 3 visits in one year prior to the operation to ensure her vision wasn't already rapidly changing. Her vision has changed slightly since the operation, but one eye actually got better.

darkness

Jul 15, 2009
vegas
I would 100% recommend it to anyone BUT I would urge you to find the best place in your area regardless of cost. I also would urge you to find a place that is 100% laser operation vs the blade style for the cornea flap. It is much less painful from what I've heard.
Mine was done with the blade and I didn’t have any pain at all.

Ron burgundy

He's a legend
Dec 17, 2015
Ontario, Canada
I agree 100% with Bdsankey and had exactly the same outcome 20/15 vision mine was done around 5-6 years ago and at that time the surgeon him self recommended the blade because a knife cut heals quicker then a burn but the blade was a little more uncomfortable then The laser, wether there is true to that I don’t know but I had a great out come the only thing I would add was it took me around 8-9 months for the night vision to be perfect again and maybe a year for my eyes to not be dry feeling all the time. Over all I would do it again in a minute no glasses fogging up walking inside from the cold or fighting with glasses under a helmet racing.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
I agree 100% with Bdsankey and had exactly the same outcome 20/15 vision mine was done around 5-6 years ago and at that time the surgeon him self recommended the blade because a knife cut heals quicker then a burn but the blade was a little more uncomfortable then The laser, wether there is true to that I don’t know but I had a great out come the only thing I would add was it took me around 8-9 months for the night vision to be perfect again and maybe a year for my eyes to not be dry feeling all the time. Over all I would do it again in a minute no glasses fogging up walking inside from the cold or fighting with glasses under a helmet racing.

I'm betting laser method for making the flap has gotten much better in the last 5-6 yrs as that is all this guy does and has done near 100k type of surgeries like this between refractive surgery and cornea transplants etc. I'd also agree, a good set of eye drops became a necessity for 6-9 months. I do have some increased halos at night compared to what I used to have but nothing that is unbearable.

RMJ_LB7

Feb 25, 2020
California
I thought the LASIK is the laser method? Which ever method uses the laser is the one that my grandpa got done. he couldnt see a stop sign that was 20 feet in front of him and afterward he said driving at night is no problem at all.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Thanks for the feedback. I don't know exactly what procedure will be used, but the optometrist who recommended the surgeon said he is the best guy around and has sent some of his family to the same doctor. I'll ask about the different options and whatnot. I did ask about the halos because a friend of mine complains about driving at night because of her eye surgery, and he said it shouldn't be much of a problem with the new procedures they have now.