LB7: Kill switch to stop thieves

MidnightLB7

Feb 18, 2018
The thieves are starting to steal 1999-2007c GMC/Chevy trucks in my town and I don’t want my trucks to go missing, just wondering which wire or wires are the best to install kill switches in that will be most effective or other anti theft ideas out there

Thank you

Apologies in advance if it’s the wrong sub forum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1TRIKHD

Country boy Limo.
Sep 15, 2015
P.N.W
If you have efi live you can always have a valet tune written. I had Rob at ATP write me one when I was running his tunes in my truck.

MidnightLB7

Feb 18, 2018
If you have efi live you can always have a valet tune written. I had Rob at ATP write me one when I was running his tunes in my truck.

I don’t have EFI live yet but I plan on getting it, having a “kill switch” in the computer would be slick

subman1980

Feb 4, 2013
Google Ravelco. It’s the only way to do if you want to be sure it’s not going anywhere without a tow truck or trailer. Just have to get in the habit of taking out the “key” every time you park it. Installed them on our fleet and haven’t lost one since. $500 or so installed, they come to you. Have them on my personal vehicles also.

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
Google Ravelco. It’s the only way to do if you want to be sure it’s not going anywhere without a tow truck or trailer. Just have to get in the habit of taking out the “key” every time you park it. Installed them on our fleet and haven’t lost one since. $500 or so installed, they come to you. Have them on my personal vehicles also.

Long!!! Before doing this I would buy a V2 and DSP switch and write a valet tune. Very easy

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
What I've always pondered was putting a reed switch hidden somewhere convenient and have a little magnet as a key to allow it to start or run. Pull the magnet off and it is now in valet mode, or wont start, etc.

What I don't like about a key is it may be discovered and bypassed pretty easy. And trying to hide it somewhere would make it a nuisance, and possibly not used as often as you should. Then that one time you leave it on is when it would be stolen.

If you do a magnet, you can put it right up front and easily accessible. Could make it similar to the magnetic safety switch you clip on you that is found on the treadmills

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
You could easily wire a magnetic reed switch to the DSP2 input on a LB7 instead of a regular switch or keyed switch. I would also do the DSP2 setup, especially if you want to get EFILive anyway.

Ben (duratothemax) retrofit PassKey 3 onto his GMT800. That uses a unique coded transponder inside each key, and is much harder to bypass than PassLock 2 that is used on the GMT800 normally. He is almost impossible to get ahold of, so I am going to try and figure out how to retrofit it onto my LB7 this summer. If I get it working, I'll do a writeup. But be warned, I suspect it will not be an easy conversion.

Midnight, for the specific situation you're in, how are the thieves stealing the trucks? Are they getting new keys cut off the VIN by a dishonest locksmith, or are they brute forcing the ignition switch? If they are getting keys made from the VIN, you can find someone else with a GMT800 and swap all your lock cylinders & keys with them. Then your locks won't match your VIN, and a key cut to your VIN won't run your vehicle.

My brother and I keep contemplating this strategy, but I think the PassKey 3 conversion would be even better (couldn't just force the ignition with that), so I am going to try that first.

MidnightLB7

Feb 18, 2018
You could easily wire a magnetic reed switch to the DSP2 input on a LB7 instead of a regular switch or keyed switch. I would also do the DSP2 setup, especially if you want to get EFILive anyway.

Ben (duratothemax) retrofit PassKey 3 onto his GMT800. That uses a unique coded transponder inside each key, and is much harder to bypass than PassLock 2 that is used on the GMT800 normally. He is almost impossible to get ahold of, so I am going to try and figure out how to retrofit it onto my LB7 this summer. If I get it working, I'll do a writeup. But be warned, I suspect it will not be an easy conversion.

Midnight, for the specific situation you're in, how are the thieves stealing the trucks? Are they getting new keys cut off the VIN by a dishonest locksmith, or are they brute forcing the ignition switch? If they are getting keys made from the VIN, you can find someone else with a GMT800 and swap all your lock cylinders & keys with them. Then your locks won't match your VIN, and a key cut to your VIN won't run your vehicle.

My brother and I keep contemplating this strategy, but I think the PassKey 3 conversion would be even better (couldn't just force the ignition with that), so I am going to try that first.

I believe they are just smashing the columns, one of the LBZs they recovered the column was destroyed on it and the people had been living it, not sure if it had an alarm system or not in it but the one stolen most recently did have an alarm system in it

My dad has an LLY so I could swap all the locks and keys with him, I don’t think the thieves are getting keys cut but they could be

I do like the EFI idea with a DSP2 I will contact the closest tuner and ask if he can do that for me

MidnightLB7

Feb 18, 2018
Can EFI live be used on the same generation of gas trucks too?

Robby Avery

GM TECH @ FENDER GMC
Jul 31, 2008
Norman Park, Georgia

Good idea and where did Ben go no recent posts that I've seen. what company do you suggest for the feed switch not dps thought thanks

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
I'd also buy a "Spot Trace" if your that worried about it, that way you can track it if it gets stolen...;)

They aren't expensive, about 100 bucks...

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
There’s a company that makes steel plates that go behind the door handle so thieves can’t just break the handle or push in the lock on the door to open it. I think there’s a thread about it but I forgot the name.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
Good idea and where did Ben go no recent posts that I've seen. what company do you suggest for the feed switch not dps thought thanks

Last I seen on facebook, he was swamped with work doing r&d on bcm stuff for the foreseeable future.

And the whole point of passlock is so if the ignition is forced, the bcm doesnt receive the signal, and it wont give the fuel enable signal to the ecm. One could always install a switch in the dedicated j1850 line from the bcm to the ecm that sends the fuel enable signal. Without that, the ecm will 9nly allow it to run for 3 seconds, and kill it.

torqued2dmax

Mar 26, 2017
Brookville, PA
Last I seen on facebook, he was swamped with work doing r&d on bcm stuff for the foreseeable future.

And the whole point of passlock is so if the ignition is forced, the bcm doesnt receive the signal, and it wont give the fuel enable signal to the ecm. One could always install a switch in the dedicated j1850 line from the bcm to the ecm that sends the fuel enable signal. Without that, the ecm will 9nly allow it to run for 3 seconds, and kill it.

Glad you at least found Ben, I hope he will be back with us as soon as he gets some new cool stuff figured out ! Thanks for the suggestion on the j1850 line !

Last edited by a moderator:

b5widebody

Sep 28, 2023
CA
hi guys, i like the idea of a kill switch into the j1850 line, i am new to this would anyone share more info how to, where is the line etc
i have an lbz and sure would like something like this
thanx in advance

Last edited: