k30 lbz 6speed ally swap

nekkidhillbilly

Nov 7, 2011
first off ive been a long time member at the diesel place. nobody really answered me there so i was like ok f that place. i am trying to gather up info and parts to build a cc k30 4x4 with a duramax. engine seems easy enough just basic wiring and the ecm reprogrammed to turn certain things off fuel system and the pedal swap. im having problems figureing out how to keep certain things and what i need to keep them. first the the 6 speed i really need to keep the tapshift and the tow haul. next i would like to use a push button transfercase out of of the same parts truck. i know there left side drop. got that figured out plan to use a newer dodge front axle. truck is going to be daily driver so i dont have to have the strongest front axle just one that works. i also plan to swap in the aam rear. so my question there is what do i need to wire up to control the transfercase. gauges im gonna use all aftermarket. for a gauge for the tapshift i plan to use the quadzilla monitoring screen thats similar to edges and banks (just the monitor of course). lastly cruise control how do i keep that. everything else should be native to the truck and not need anything from the parts truck. sorry for the long post and thanks.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
I didn't do a 6 speed, but I did an LB7 with a 5 speed into my 95 BURB. For the 6 speed swap to function properly with an LBZ, you're going to need a COMPLETE donor truck. Also I would reccomend swapping in the diesel cluster as the 6 speed uses a unique cluster to tell you what gear you have selected. You will need the entire underhood wiring harness, a good portion of the dash harness, ECM, BCM, TCM, and the TCCM. You will have to wire in most of the factory bus system to make it all communicate with each other, so I would reccomend swapping in the stock dash to make it easier to integrate everything. I'm sure somebody with more knowledge of the newer lectronics will be along shortly to provide more insight as to the minimum to make it all work.

Maricopaagent

Glamis Anyone?
Oct 10, 2011
Arizona
Ford front axle I believe.. Not a Dodge?
I have not looked under a Dog lately, but i was pretty sure they are the same as you have now..

K30's are the bomb..My last one had a nasty BBC with a 4l80e and a np205.. New interior, custom painted dash and 19.5's.. But, what a money pit...I sure miss it..

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
I have not looked under a Dog lately, but i was pretty sure they are the same as you have now..

K30's are the bomb..My last one had a nasty BBC with a 4l80e and a np205.. New interior, custom painted dash and 19.5's.. But, what a money pit...I sure miss it..

Dodge's since 94 are drivers side drops, and the new 03+ use the 9.25" AAM. It uses the same guts as the GM IFS does, it's just in a SFA.

nekkidhillbilly

Nov 7, 2011
I didn't do a 6 speed, but I did an LB7 with a 5 speed into my 95 BURB. For the 6 speed swap to function properly with an LBZ, you're going to need a COMPLETE donor truck. Also I would reccomend swapping in the diesel cluster as the 6 speed uses a unique cluster to tell you what gear you have selected. You will need the entire underhood wiring harness, a good portion of the dash harness, ECM, BCM, TCM, and the TCCM. You will have to wire in most of the factory bus system to make it all communicate with each other, so I would reccomend swapping in the stock dash to make it easier to integrate everything. I'm sure somebody with more knowledge of the newer lectronics will be along shortly to provide more insight as to the minimum to make it all work.

plan to use a donor truck. as for the gauge cluster with the monitor i wont need the oem gauge cluster it has a gear readout. i def do not want the new gauge cluster or dash. like i said the tapshift towhaul 4x4 and cruise are all i need to work. idk if i really need th but i figure if i need to swap the bcm i might as well have it.

nekkidhillbilly

Nov 7, 2011

yeah the dodges left side drops like fords after 94. i want the hubs i dont have to lock in or out dodge stays locked like new gms so life is good. the truck i plan to build is a late 70s crew cab lb srw 4x4 that looks pretty stock but has the dmax.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
plan to use a donor truck. as for the gauge cluster with the monitor i wont need the oem gauge cluster it has a gear readout. i def do not want the new gauge cluster or dash. like i said the tapshift towhaul 4x4 and cruise are all i need to work. idk if i really need th but i figure if i need to swap the bcm i might as well have it.

I don't completely follow you here. Your stock truck will have a gear readout, but the 6 speed uses one that is digital throug hthe vehicle bus to tell you which gear is selected. I'm not completely up on the newer electronics, but I believe I read you need the new cluster to make the tap shift work properly.

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
He was saying he didn't think he'd need the GM gauge cluster because he's using the Quadzilla monitor which will show what gear you're in and probably any engine vitals that reports through the USB II.

I think you're correct though fermanator, he's going to need the GM cluster in order for the tapshift to work? I'm sure Ben could set this straight though.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
He was saying he didn't think he'd need the GM gauge cluster because he's using the Quadzilla monitor which will show what gear you're in and probably any engine vitals that reports through the USB II.

I think you're correct though fermanator, he's going to need the GM cluster in order for the tapshift to work? I'm sure Ben could set this straight though.

Also it really depends on what year 6 speed he goes with as to what all needs to be swapped in. I believe for the LBZ the tapshift wires go straight to the TCM, but in later years during the LMM the tapshift connected to the BCM. Check with the guys down under that have done them as I believe they have done the 6 speed swaps into there Nissans. I want to say the one guys name is Heath something, but can't remember there names here right now.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming

...yeah...you will...

that quadzilla whatever widget is going to show you current gear. Not selected gear. CURRENT GEAR and SELECTED GEAR are not the same. They are completely different. If you want to see selected gear, (IE, tap-shift info), you're going to need to run the FACTORY CLUSTER.

You're asking 500 questions at once. Most of which can already be answered by searching through other peoples' documented swaps. If you need this whole thing spoon-fed to you step-by-step I would maybe find someone local to help you out with the tricky parts.

Last edited:

nekkidhillbilly

Nov 7, 2011
well since the only person i found that swapped in the 6 speed really didnt have any info i dont see how this can answer my question. also everyone i have seen swap used a manual transfercase i want the push button. basically im asking what can i do to keep the tapshift and not use that ugly cluster in the truck. can i use a led read out or just dic off the truck cluster and not the whole cluster. as for spoon fed i am asking questions thought that is what a forum is for.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
basically im asking what can i do to keep the tapshift and not use that ugly cluster in the truck

nothing. I just said that above......I know sometimes people ignore answers when they get an answer that they dont want to hear/believe, but thats the truth. You want the tap-shift display, you run the stock cluster.

can i use a led read out or just dic off the truck cluster and not the whole cluster

If you have to ask, then no. If you want to take apart the cluster and are really good with a soldering iron, electronics, and IC datasheets then yeah.

ben

nekkidhillbilly

Nov 7, 2011
couldnt i just take the cluster apart and keep the whole board back in the dash run a wire to the dic readout pinouts and wire in the new gauges using the hook ups from the stepper motors to send the signals.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
couldnt i just take the cluster apart and keep the whole board back in the dash run a wire to the dic readout pinouts and wire in the new gauges using the hook ups from the stepper motors to send the signals.

lol no unless you somehow find some gauges that use the same signal/voltage the factory gauges use. and even then its not a simple as you think

nekkidhillbilly

Nov 7, 2011
well then why i couldnt use aftermarket gauges and just keep the board from the cluster and dic from it. the only thing it would control would be dic.

nekkidhillbilly

Nov 7, 2011
if you think you can wire it than give it a go!

i have had to replace one dic and about 15 stepper motors on gas gm trucks so i dont see why i couldnt just add wire to each pin out and solder it back so i can mount the dic where ever. 2 ribbon cables would probably do the trick.

nekkidhillbilly

Nov 7, 2011
Just hide the cluster in the dash if you don't want to see it. You need it for everything to work unless you are a wiring GURU!

thats basically what im saying the computer board from it will be hid in the dash. all the functions are there with that. the dic will just be extended wires so i can mount it wherever i want.

08txlmm

Mar 28, 2010
Lubbock
thats basically what im saying the computer board from it will be hid in the dash. all the functions are there with that. the dic will just be extended wires so i can mount it wherever i want.

Or just keep the oem cluster completely hid(but wired up) and use your quadzilla monitor to see what gear you are in like you originally wanted. You don't need to see the DIC it just needs to be there for the tap shift to work. Simple fix but should work without any rewiring.

Edit: Maybe this is what you meant and I just misunderstood. I read it as you are wanting to relocate the DIC so you can see what gear you are in via the oem gear selector.