Is brown bear still the only gas tuner?

Big Block 88

Multiple choice muscle
Nov 3, 2008
Kansas when I am home
So i have my 4.8 under the knife again if you have seen my other thread. We just got the long tubes back on and the 224/224 cam in also. This time i NEED it tuned...

It seems like brown bear is the only option still? I would think one of the badass tuners here would have some gasser tuning available... Im hoping maybe you all know someone here that will do it.

I have nothing against brown bear i have never used him but have only heard good things. But in the diesel world i have only used the fellas on here and would like to do that again.

wade_660

Jun 7, 2015
You mean blackbear? That's who tuned my previous truck. I Was very satisfied. Blackbear performance.com. That's who I used, we may be talking about different people

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
Black bear tuned my Colorado when I had it.

I'd use strictly LS tuners vs our diesel tuners. Nothing against DA, but I'd want a LS guy tuning my truck.

Big Block 88

Multiple choice muscle
Nov 3, 2008
Kansas when I am home
You guys are so racist... Why does it matter what color the bear is? Hes a bear and he tunes thats all i know.

I have heard nothing but good things but i was hopin one of these diesel tuners would be able to do somthing. I vaguely understand diesel tuning, i look at gasser tuning and i got nothin. I really just dont want to or have the time to go do a live tuning session and it being a pretty basic build that i would think has been done hundreds of times i thought someone may have one on file i could buy.

I will check out westers though also

graystonelbz

Jul 20, 2007
Prior Lake,MN
Lyndon at Westers tuned both of my 8.1 years back....great guy to deal with. Only problem is he's in Canada and it takes forever to get things back and fourth from there. Best tuning I had on my 8.1's though.

Al's max

Jul 29, 2014
Texas
Tim Mason of HCC Performance(Dallas TX) tuned my ls3 swap. He's probably the most knowledgeable ls guy I know. But... That comes with a price

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
Black bear does alot of LS tuning, but communications with him is slow and not very precise to say the least. He has no phone number listed to call him at. I helped somebody with a supercharged 6.0L with a tune from them. They messed up on the trans shift tables, and after 3 days of no response fro mthem, I dug in to it and fixxed it for him. Took me awhile but I finally found it. Also the truck was only making about 300HP to the wheels on his tune, so he had it re-tuned by a tuner on a dyno, and he got it up to around 435HP to the wheels, thats a BIG jump for a gasser just in tuning with NO other changes. Blackbears tuning was ALWAYS DANGEROUSLY lean(wide band showed in the 16:1 range at idle, and not much better running down the road), and they never did make it right. Didn't even ask for any logs when he was tuning it. Didn't impress me one bit after that experience with them which was my only experience with them.

CarolinaHD

Feb 8, 2011
NC
Had bad luck with Justin @ blackbear when he tuned my 01 5.3 and dad's 04 5.3. Got shit mileage and the trans shifted awful. The 01 was totaled and the 04 is still driving with it getting 14 mpg and harsh shifts

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
Mail order tuning for diesels - Often good, sometimes excellent, sometimes bad.

Mail order tuning for LSx engines? Eh. They really need to be done on a dyno and the road. First issue is that if the tune is wrong, you can blow up your engine pretty quickly.

I played with some LS1 canned tuning back in 2000 (Superchips), Tragically Bad. Then a guy without a dyno, who did it by datalogging alone (TTS), lost a piston shortly afterwards. Finally had a guy who had done over 100 cars for the track, came out dead nuts and very fast, and very good fuel economy (29mpg highway Z06 vette, 11.3 ET's).

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
pcmofNC
RPM motor sports
Texas speed and performance
All AWESOME LS tuners!!!

and then there's the guy that tuned my SS, Matt at GP tuning...
that was an awesome tune as well

I wouldn't use Black bear, brown bear or Yogi Bear to tune any of my LS stuff...It'd be one of the guys from this list, but I'd probably use GP again cuz I have a rappor with him

:thumb:

Big Block 88

Multiple choice muscle
Nov 3, 2008
Kansas when I am home
I have spoke with black bear. He is requesting logs atleast. I did just find out about a guy in kansas city who does dyno tuning on ls engines. Buddy just had his procharged 406 ls goat tuned there. Broke 1000 rwhp and his trans and diff.... But i may try him out. I looked into the tables for timing and fuel and its waaaaaaay different from the duramax tuning so im not gonna touch it.

The truck should be ready for tuning this winter we have all the parts right now just trying to decide on cam. Looking at a 220/220 comp but i have an ls6 cam and i believe they were close to that already. Heads on it now are 706's i think. But i do have polished 243's sitting here also. The 4.8 just doesnt really need much lift i wouldnt think. Thats pretty small cubes but we also have an lq4 sitting here and i may just do that. I just love the little 4.8 and the way it winds up high and fast.

Also the truck is a stick so shifts wont be much of an issue in the tuning

Big Block 88

Multiple choice muscle
Nov 3, 2008
Kansas when I am home
2000 Reg cab short bed z71 silverado lowered 3front 4 back. 5 soeed nv3500 for now

Not sure on the weight under 5k im sure. Its a loaded truck though so is has alot heavy electronics

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012