If You Have/Want A Built Motor Look Here.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
I know that was tongue in cheek, but that is a LOT of stuff.
Any one of the 9 items you could write a book on.

Now, if I wanted over 600rwhp, I would set the minimum at:

Rods.
Cut pistons.
Keyed crank and cam.
Built trans.
Exhaust.
Dual CP3's
66mm or larger charger.
DOT race tires.
Rollbar.
Lift pump.
Tierod sleeves, straight bar.
Big K&N.

smarquis

Triple Turbo LBZ
Jul 15, 2010
Las Vegas, Nevada.
But there are at least a half dozen other things to go with that right? Gaskets, head studs, water pump, oil pump & cooler, etc. Right? How much of that must be replaced? Am thing else? Thanks.

DMAXchris

It’s only temporary!
Apr 28, 2009
Natrona Heights PA
But there are at least a half dozen other things to go with that right? Gaskets, head studs, water pump, oil pump & cooler, etc. Right? How much of that must be replaced? Am thing else? Thanks.

The Duramax really doesnt have too many gaskets. Everything is sealed with PermaTex. Theres a few o-rings/rubber seals here and there but the only real gaskets are on the heads. Water pump, its good to replace with a welded one. oil cooler & pump can be cleaned out.

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
The Duramax really doesnt have too many gaskets. Everything is sealed with PermaTex. Theres a few o-rings/rubber seals here and there but the only real gaskets are on the heads. Water pump, its good to replace with a welded one. oil cooler & pump can be cleaned out.

I beg to differ, I had a ziplock bag full of O rings and gaskets I had no clue what to do with :rofl:

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
A few extra parts are normal. However for your first build make sure these are not on your bench when done:

Keys for keyways.
Large bolts or nuts
A wrist pin
A CP3 gear
A crankshaft.

Balindir

Rod shortning in progress
Jul 30, 2012
South Central, Pa
A few extra parts are normal. However for your first build make sure these are not on your bench when done:

Keys for keyways.
Large bolts or nuts
A wrist pin
A CP3 gear
A crankshaft.

"Yea guys the build was going well, then I realized I forgot the crank, so I had to tear the engine back out..."

smarquis

Triple Turbo LBZ
Jul 15, 2010
Las Vegas, Nevada.
So McRat, would you:

Re-use the oil pump and cooler?

Use stock head studs and main studs?

Would you replace any of the factory bolts if you all looked OK?

And, when you say, "cut pistons," would you just use delipped LB& pistons or is there a particular brand (and cut?)?

Finally, does any benefit come from th use of the LML Driver's side exhaust manifold if you have an LBZ with the more squished manifold? It is only $125, but I'm not sure what good it may do.

Sorry about all the questions, but I need to do this so I need as much info as possible.

Thanks!!!!

quinton

Nov 28, 2011
Granbury Tx.
So McRat, would you:

Re-use the oil pump and cooler?

Use stock head studs and main studs?

Would you replace any of the factory bolts if you all looked OK?

And, when you say, "cut pistons," would you just use delipped LB& pistons or is there a particular brand (and cut?)?

Finally, does any benefit come from th use of the LML Driver's side exhaust manifold if you have an LBZ with the more squished manifold? It is only $125, but I'm not sure what good it may do.

Sorry about all the questions, but I need to do this so I need as much info as possible.

Thanks!!!!

This is what I'm ordering Tuesday.
Finger's oval pistons
New oil pump and cooler (because I had a cracked piston, if you didn't have any failure you will be fine)
All bearings clevite H
Carrillo rods
M/A motor mounts
Main studs, also all the other bottom end bolts that are tq to yield
Already have head studs
Bd tq plate
Machine work will be-
Key cam and crank
Balance crank
Bore to .020 over and clean block
All this for under $8k.
Doing everything myself.