Idaho dinosaur

IdahoRob

Jun 5, 2007
Caught my first sturgeon ever, this week on a hells canyon float trip with family and friends. Rough measurements tape him right at 8'. 1-1/2 hours to land with some raft paddling to get the line off of rocks and a few beers to cool of the reel and the fisherman. Really great experience and it's amazing the power these fish have.

Attachments

• sturgeon group photo.jpg
    sturgeon group photo.jpg
    212.2 KB · Views: 265

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Congrats, Rob. Looks like a great time. Those aren't your kids on either side of you, is it?

IdahoRob

Jun 5, 2007
It is Josh, we are all getting older. Notice my wife is hanging on to my buddies, damn river trips without a shower I guess.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
It is Josh, we are all getting older. Notice my wife is hanging on to my buddies, damn river trips without a shower I guess.
It's been a long time since I've seen them, and you're right about getting older!

IdahoRob

Jun 5, 2007
Holy huge fish Rob! Congrats. :thumb:

Are they good to eat?

Tom, they are protected. This one was over 250 pounds as an estimate and you can't even take them totally out of the water as they can die from their organs being smashed. All catch and release only in Idaho. There are some places where you can keep the "slot" fish and I heard they are some of the best table fare of anything.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Nice Rob, congrats. I grew up in Salmon, always freaked me out floating through the Sturgeon holes with my but stuck in an innertube:D