LML How strong/reliable are lml delipped pistons

nc-12vpower

Mar 25, 2013
NC
I have heard that these hold up good for high horse power engines, but then I have heard that they have been having problems with them. Trying to see what the truth is behind them

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
I Dont think you're going to " find the truth" here. They've worked very well for some, and I could be wrong, but I'd be willing to bet their failure rate is similar to those that chose to run stock cast delipped piston in high HP builds. My opinion, if you want less than 1000hp and use it occasionally, they'd be a good low cost choice.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I would not use them simply due to the fact that they require you to modify the small end of the connecting rod. If you change the rod for the LML pistons, that's what you're stuck with, or you have to buy new pistons and rods if you decide to change.

nc-12vpower

Mar 25, 2013
NC
Thanks, didn't know that about the rods with lml pistons. I guess the best way to go is mahle cast motorsports pistons?

gmac32

Dec 8, 2009
bellville ohio
I am running delipped lml pistons in my setup. I figured someone has to try them out. I am shooting for a little over a 1000 hp when I am done. Up to this point everything is speculation on what they will hold. I will know how they do this spring.

nc-12vpower

Mar 25, 2013
NC
Okay well keep us up to date on how they hold up. How much horsepower have you made on them so far?

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
Did you break one?

No I haven't

I do not believe anyone has hurt Fingers pistons yet...

That's the thing "YET"

It gets annoying seeing people recommend something they haven't tested or haven't had long enough to know if they will hold up. Do I like the idea, yes. Will I run them, yes. Will I tell people they're the only piston you'll need to buy, **** no.

CaptPhil

Sep 10, 2011
Delaware
No I haven't

That's the thing "YET"

It gets annoying seeing people recommend something they haven't tested or haven't had long enough to know if they will hold up. Do I like the idea, yes. Will I run them, yes. Will I tell people they're the only piston you'll need to buy, **** no.

I dont think anyone has said that they are the only piston you need to buy. They are cut into Mahle Race Cast or Forged blanks though, so they start on a solid foundation.

they are probably the route that I will take when this engine gets built because I like the concept and their track record so far seems pretty good.

Has anyone broken a Mahle Race Cast with the regular round bowl design?