Hot Shot Secret vs Optilube

Nate’s Dmax

Dec 11, 2020
I'll stick with 2 cycle if I feel the need to increased lubricity. Even if it loads up my DPF with ash faster it doesn't take long to flip it on my rig

I've played around with a few different brands and could tell no difference between them or nothing at all
I used to use 2 cycle oil as well until i tried OptiLube. The 2 cycle creates ash as well as does not add cetane or have antigel properties. Until OptiLube i had used different brands of additives that didnt do much if anything. The 2 cycle oil did only 1 or 2 things and that is added lubricity which in turn made it run quieter. It did not add mpg which the OptiLube did. Just my 2cents.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
If you've got facts, I'd love to hear 'em. "Major changes" tells me little.
it goes both ways, newbie. if you want to make a call out, post your facts first. You ahve next to none in your first post stirring this pot. your claim of a 5 mpg increase with a lift pump and additive are not adding to your credibility.

And ill make a warning here. Additives are extremely opinionated because the info is based off your own personal ride and the MANY variables that come with it. No single vehicle will have the exact same changes as the other when using it. If you want to get huffy and puffy about what ever snake oil you may use, do it else where. Ill lock this bitch down in a hurry if needed.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I used to use 2 cycle oil as well until i tried OptiLube. The 2 cycle creates ash as well as does not add cetane or have antigel properties. Until OptiLube i had used different brands of additives that didnt do much if anything. The 2 cycle oil did only 1 or 2 things and that is added lubricity which in turn made it run quieter. It did not add mpg which the OptiLube did. Just my 2cents.
2 cycle oil does seem to have some pretty decent anti gell properties. Take a look at the project farm video about it. I think it can as a big surprise to see it work. Can't really add it after it's gelled but works well before hand.

But as I said earlier. I've tried a few, don't remember them all but where off the shelf auto store stuff, and didn't see any difference in my truck. So I stopped spending money on them.

I feel that with a properly running engine with a healthy injection system, and not running poor quality fuel that additives will not do much if anything to help with noise or mpg. Engines with deposits or clogged nozzles, bad fuel, etc may see some improvements

I'd like to see a test on several low mileage vehicles driven the same course threw multiple tanks of fuel try out different additives and see if there is any noticeable difference. Then do the same with some high mileage ones.

Dean E

Mar 30, 2022
Blair, NE
I'll stick with 2 cycle if I feel the need to increased lubricity. Even if it loads up my DPF with ash faster it doesn't take long to flip it on my rig

I've played around with a few different brands and could tell no difference between them or nothing at all
I completely agree. About the only time I would consider using an additive is if I had a Duramax with a CP4. Honestly it is not a mater of if but when the CP4 will grenade itself and you only move the clock up with any tuning. You can thank the ultra low sulfer fuels for that. Certainly not a cheap endevor. Never used any additives in my LMM short of some winter treatments. Currently running strong at 200K miles with original injectors. Dean

Nate’s Dmax

Dec 11, 2020
I agree whole heartedly with James that it depends on the vehicle on what results you get. I usually brush aside claims of getting x amount better MPG. I did the same as Jason by using different off the shelf stuff from the auto store with little difference in how it ran and so forth. I do think the 2 cycle oil worked very well at making the engine run quieter and so on. As for the antigen properties of 2 cycle that is a new one for me. The OptiLube i started using because it had same effects as the 2 cycle and seemed to MAYBE get better mileage. This is just my observance on my truck and seems others i talk to that use it have similar results But each to his own. One additive i might try sometime is the Hot Shots stuff and see what i think but the local performance shop stocks the OptiLube so ….

Reactions: 2004LB7

albinorhino

Jan 13, 2023
it goes both ways, newbie. if you want to make a call out, post your facts first. You ahve next to none in your first post stirring this pot. your claim of a 5 mpg increase with a lift pump and additive are not adding to your credibility.

And ill make a warning here. Additives are extremely opinionated because the info is based off your own personal ride and the MANY variables that come with it. No single vehicle will have the exact same changes as the other when using it. If you want to get huffy and puffy about what ever snake oil you may use, do it else where. Ill lock this bitch down in a hurry if needed.
Interesting, you mentioned you knew about the test, even told me how old it was... But you need me to show it to you? Here's the study I referenced, originally funded by users of The Diesel Place. https://ahto42.planet.ee/lubricity additive study results.pdf For the record I just shared my experience, which is what this place is supposed to be for. You come across as kind of an a$$, (and apparently run the site?) So I'm out. There are better forums.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Interesting, you mentioned you knew about the test, even told me how old it was... But you need me to show it to you? Here's the study I referenced, originally funded by users of The Diesel Place. https://ahto42.planet.ee/lubricity additive study results.pdf For the record I just shared my experience, which is what this place is supposed to be for. You come across as kind of an a$$, (and apparently run the site?) So I'm out. There are better forums.
Many members here helped fund that test. Same with the airfilter test. Glad it could help you make your additive choice, but you're seriously late to this game.

There are no better Dmax forums than this one.

Last edited:

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az

If that helps you sleep better at night, so be it.

Sharing your experience with nothing to back your experience is just an opinion and really holds no merit. It’s not what this site is about. You claimed 2mph on additive plus 3 mpg on lift pump. Explain it, show how your claim is valid, prove to us there was no outside force causing a change that could inflate your numbers.

Then you say it helped prolong your cp4… how? What has concluded this claim?

Frankly I could give a shit if you go elsewhere. Your first post here matched that of a door to door salesman and this bar you walked into pretty much ran you right the hell on out. See ya!

Reactions: Dozerboy

ikeG

Oughta Know Better
Apr 19, 2011
Western PA
www.facebook.com
A lot of this is subjective, kinda like changing your oil way to often. Or the Allison spin-on. If it gives you a fuzzy feeling or gives the impression it helped, then by all means do it.
My grandfather has Parkinsons pretty bad, and when he asked his Dr about some snake oil fix, Dr replied "You could also bury a potato in your yard". Implying that the fact that you think it works is more important than if it actually does.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Dozerboy

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Non-synthetic TCW3 2 stroke oil does have antigel properties. It has pour point depressants that when dispersed in fuel help lower the gelling point.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
If you've got facts, I'd love to hear 'em. "Major changes" tells me little.
Easy there tiger, based on your other replies I’m betting you’re already gone. We don’t need hot shot know it alls.

Do I know every single formulation change they’ve made in the last decade? Hell no, but I can tell you I’ve seen OptiLube XPD cause some weird runability issues on a few high hp trucks. I used it for years until I got tired of the costs.

I then switched to 2 stroke oil like many others for lubrication.

More recently we’ve been running Hot Shots EDT in all our shop vehicles and noticed a touch better cold start performance.

To me, the biggest reason to run an additive is lubrication. The early fuel systems were never designed for ULSD that we have today so to me adding back that missing lubrication does only good things and prolongs fuel system life.

Last edited:

CDmax16

Mar 3, 2018
NNV
Easy there tiger, based on your other replies I’m betting you’re already gone. We don’t need hot shot know it alls.

Do I know every single formulation change they’ve made in the last decade? Hell no, but I can tell you I’ve seen OptiLube XPD cause some weird runability issues on a few high hp trucks. I used it for years until I got tired of the costs.

I then switched to 2 stroke oil like many others for lubrication.

More recently we’ve been running Hot Shots EDT in all our shop vehicles and noticed a touch better cold start performance.

To me, the biggest reason to run an additive is lubrication. The early fuel systems were never designed for ULSD that we have today so to me adding back that missing lubrication does only good things and prolongs fuel system life.
How much of the EDT are you using?

MGKelly

Jan 13, 2023
Oregon
New to the Duramax, have a 2022. What is the CP4?
As an additive to the fuel how much are you using and what brand?
Any preferences on DEF Fluid?
Thanks for your timek

Reactions: Mickey D

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
New to the Duramax, have a 2022. What is the CP4?
As an additive to the fuel how much are you using and what brand?
Any preferences on DEF Fluid?
Thanks for your timek
CP4 is the injection pump.

As for brand, take your pick. I'm partial to Hot Shots as my shop sells and uses it daily. Their dosing is 1oz/25gal for a "premium" dose and 2oz/25gal for a "performance" dose.

DEF fluid, in my eyes, is DEF fluid. I haven't seen any major differences in trucks running various brands but it may be a possibility in other areas across the country.