Hood Paint Peeling Off?

TheGryme

Nov 10, 2020
SoCal Mountains (Wrightwood)
My White 07's hood has the factory paint coming off......mainly on the passenger side.
Starting right about where the hood mount is and going forward towards the front......
I've seen a couple of other 2500's about the same year (06 & 07) with much worse peelage in the same general spot.
Is this "normal"......did the factory screw up when it was painted originally?
BTW......I Hates It!

darkness

Jul 15, 2009
vegas
Unfortunately it is “normal.” My Dads white ‘06 roof peeled and also bottom of the front fender wells.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I may be wrong with the years but around that time frame GM and a few others where switching over to low VOC or water based paints and coatings due to the change in the VOC laws. There was a bit of a growing pain working out the bugs and getting the formulas right. So some of the vehicles, some colors more than others, are showing early signs of paint failure.

Then you have the recession year trucks being built right after. Others will probably know better, but it's something like 2005 to 2010 where the worse paint years for GM/Chevy

036.6turbo

Jan 17, 2014
I may be wrong with the years but around that time frame GM and a few others where switching over to low VOC or water based paints and coatings due to the change in the VOC laws. There was a bit of a growing pain working out the bugs and getting the formulas right. So some of the vehicles, some colors more than others, are showing early signs of paint failure.

Then you have the recession year trucks being built right after. Others will probably know better, but it's something like 2005 to 2010 where the worse paint years for GM/Chevy
Exactly. The migration to low VOC, waterborne paint was not without growing pains.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Had to have my hood repainted because of this. They had to strip it down to bare metal and reprime/paint. You'll have to do the same.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
GM white paint has been garbage for as long as I can remember. I can't tell you how many white trucks I've seen with peeling paint as far back as the late 80s/early 90s to as new as 2016.

TheGryme

Nov 10, 2020
SoCal Mountains (Wrightwood)
Bummer....I had heard the same from my friends exhaust shop that the factory painting was bad for a couple of years....O well.
Mine is peeling bad on the hood and around the rear lower edge of the front windows.
I know..............maybe Chevy will fix it under warrantee!!!!!!!
Sure.
Thanks Guys, I appreciate the info.

Budneeds2beers

Aka Mike Honcho....
Aug 25, 2016
Cali
Yup my summit white 04 tahoe is flakier then a leper. Its sucks because I used to take extremely good care of my paint.

darkness

Jul 15, 2009
vegas
It’s funny though. My mom has an ‘01 Yukon and it’s white. Don’t know if it’s the Arctic white or summit white. But the paint on it is flawless.