Holes In The Crank?

Trippin

SoCal Diesel
Aug 10, 2006
can this be done on stock cranks or is it best to get the billet crank from you guy? im not that in tune with the physical differences in your billet cranks and stock ones so i cant tell from the pic lol

We can do stock cranks as well as our billets. The picture is of a stock crank.

How does the cost compare to having an aftermarket crank made? Or would the counterweight size/design on an internally balanced aftermarket crank keep you from using a stock length rod & piston combo.

Right now it is looking like the cost is going to be right around $1600 to do both front and rear of the crank :eek:

$1300 of that is just the cost of the Tungsten. :(

We might fool around with doing some with just the front of the crank to see if the results are the same. The torque converter is thought to do a pretty good job of absorbing harmonics.

Ridin'GMC

I like red
May 20, 2010
MA
Very cool! Instant revving would be gained with this as well as less vibration from the damper at higher rpm is a perfect race setup, how will it do for a pulling truck?

Trippin

SoCal Diesel
Aug 10, 2006
what did you use to cut the holes? laser or machine

Horizontal CNC

Looks great Guy. Didnt the Kusileks try this on their motor this year. Was it one of your cranks?

I'm sorry, I can't comment, our customer's privacy is important to them and us. :hug:

Having been in the racing industry for over 30 years, I learned a long time ago not to talk about what other customers are running or not running.

bullfrogjohnson

Big Girl!
Nov 20, 2006
Locust, NC
Horizontal CNC

I'm sorry, I can't comment, our customer's privacy is important to them and us. :hug:

Having been in the racing industry for over 30 years, I learned a long time ago not to talk about what other customers are running or not running.

I can't blame you for that. I remember Wes said over on diesel place that they went to an internally balanced motor this year, so I just put two and two together.

dmaxlover

Mar 17, 2007
WI
Are any of these internally balance motors out and around yet? If so, did it cure allying issues?

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
It's called internally balancing. Stock Dmax engines are externally balanced, meaning there is weight added to the damper and flywheel.

We will press slugs of Tungsten alloy into these holes which is about 1.7 times as heavy as the parent crank material.

This will enable us to remove all of the extra counterweight from the flywheel and harmonic damper.

Having the weight located in the front counterweight of the crank where it belongs, instead of 6 inches in front of the #1 main bearing (as it is stock) where it has tremendous leverage on the crank, helps to extend the crank and bearing life significantly.
My crank balancer and fly wheel have all been Modded after the install of lighter pistons and rods .... I was under the impression that was wrong?

Trippin

SoCal Diesel
Aug 10, 2006
Are any of these internally balance motors out and around yet? If so, did it cure allying issues?

Main bearing wear, specifically #2 and #4 is significantly improved. This indicates there is less flexing of the crank due to harmonics.

My crank balancer and fly wheel have all been Modded after the install of lighter pistons and rods .... I was under the impression that was wrong?

As long as the new crank damper and flywheel were balanced to duplicate the originals that were on the crank when it was balanced, you should be fine.

GeorgiaDieselGTO

Wants to drive his truck
May 12, 2010
Crossville
Ok i was wondering if anyone else was doing this with a stock crank. We did mine that way and obviously i havnt had it apart to look at it, but very happy with it. Very, very smooth.

mytmousemalibu

Cut your ride, sissy!
Apr 12, 2008
Kansas
Impressive! I want:D

Our engine machinist was rather displeased with us a while back. Our Arias runs a Velasco billet steel crank and he needed to tske some weight off it. It chewed up like 7 of his real good expensive bits trying to take metal off that thing:angel:

zeke38

Sep 29, 2009
Newark, IL
I thought you guys might appreciate these pics...................

I appreciate it more than this
165114_1670595199542_1077222637_31827413_2995347_n1.jpg

'03duramax

I love cheer******s
Sep 16, 2006
WA
Damn, that's a lot of tungsten. I think I used 11 slugs of it to internally balance a 454, can't recall exactly. Are you drilling/reaming, or interpolating it with en E/M? I can't see the finish in the pics.