Holes In The Crank?

Trippin

SoCal Diesel
Aug 10, 2006
I thought you guys might appreciate these pics...................

Attachments

• Internal Balance 001.jpg
    Internal Balance 001.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 612
  • Internal Balance 004.jpg
    Internal Balance 004.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 507

jmaz268

Lead from the Front
May 20, 2010
Springfield IL
When it breaks you can lob it off and use it as Brass Knuckles!! Multi purpose thinking

Is that thing even balanced?

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
Thats Awesome guy way to push the envelope , how much total weight loss ? how did it balance up after wards ? any testing done yet ? I was going to call you soon to pick up a few thing for the build this winter maybe I am going to need some more $$ now :eek::cool2:

bfletcher

Oct 10, 2009
Thats Awesome guy way to push the envelope , how much total weight loss ? how did it balance up after wards ? any testing done yet ? I was going to call you soon to pick up a few thing for the build this winter maybe I am going to need some more $$ now :eek::cool2:

It's not pushing the envelope, it's called getting ready for mallory.......Almost all internal ballance jobs need mallory.

Trippin

SoCal Diesel
Aug 10, 2006
It's called internally balancing. Stock Dmax engines are externally balanced, meaning there is weight added to the damper and flywheel.

We will press slugs of Tungsten alloy into these holes which is about 1.7 times as heavy as the parent crank material.

This will enable us to remove all of the extra counterweight from the flywheel and harmonic damper.

Having the weight located in the front counterweight of the crank where it belongs, instead of 6 inches in front of the #1 main bearing (as it is stock) where it has tremendous leverage on the crank, helps to extend the crank and bearing life significantly.

Trippin

SoCal Diesel
Aug 10, 2006
It's not pushing the envelope, it's called getting ready for mallory.......Almost all internal ballance jobs need mallory.

Ever tried to 100% internally balance a Dmax crank with a 3200 gram bobweight?

This is definitely pushing the envelope. :D

bfletcher

Oct 10, 2009
Ever tried to 100% internally balance a Dmax crank with a 3200 gram bobweight?

This is definitely pushing the envelope. :D

Accually yes i have. Over a year or so ago. One about 400 grams lighter BW and one BW about the same as you have, its not easy....

But the engine likes it alot.:thumb:

Trippin

SoCal Diesel
Aug 10, 2006
Accually yes i have. Over a year or so ago. One about 400 grams lighter BW and one BW about the same as you have, its not easy....

But the engine likes it alot.:thumb:

Congrats! Certainly not easy........

We did our first one in middle of last season. I wanted to get a full season on it and take a look inside to see if it was worth the hassle. A good A-B test with this customer. The results are pretty sweet!

Got 4-5 to do now, so I just finished tooling up one of the CNCs so we can knock em down alot easier than the using a Bridgeport. :D

MMLMM

Tunergeek
Mar 2, 2008
Reno, NV
www.dyncal.com
Having the weight located in the front counterweight of the crank where it belongs, instead of 6 inches in front of the #1 main bearing (as it is stock) where it has tremendous leverage on the crank, helps to extend the crank and bearing life significantly.

exactly where I figured this was going.....Maybe save some cranks in the near future.

good work on heading in this direction, I know this is typically preferred on a blower motor in a gasser. I can see maybe gaining higher RPMs out of a motor now that you dont have a damper flying around on the end of the crank wanting to go haywire...and running more accessories off the belt this should help to, but what else on a dmax will this assist?

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
can this be done on stock cranks or is it best to get the billet crank from you guy? im not that in tune with the physical differences in your billet cranks and stock ones so i cant tell from the pic lol

jpowel29

Feb 1, 2008
Bentonville, Arkansas
How does the cost compare to having an aftermarket crank made? Or would the counterweight size/design on an internally balanced aftermarket crank keep you from using a stock length rod & piston combo.