Holes In The Crank?

Bobo

Aug 27, 2006
I had Guy internally balance a crank for one of my customer builds and oh boy is that thing smooooooooth....

The one I worked on was smooth as glass too. I don't think it did anything to help bearing wear or anything special like that, but it didn't hurt anything. It sure was a lot smoother running than the backup motor we had built. I think there is an issue with the metal working its way out of the holes. Guy said he would look at it and take care of it when we were at SEMA. That motor sure took a beating last year and stayed together. The spare motor didn't have anything fancy in it and it was fine too. There was a huge difference in how smooth the high dollar internally balanced one ran. It was real noticeable on the engine Dyno.

IdahoRob

Jun 5, 2007
At the end of the season this winter, I pulled down my SoCal engine with the internally balanced crank. I was amazed at how nice the main bearings looked. With the past 3 builds (not SoCal), the mains were basically squashed out and worn to nothing, some with only less than 15 passes at less HP than I ran this build.

vern

May 25, 2008
PA
At the end of the season this winter, I pulled down my SoCal engine with the internally balanced crank. I was amazed at how nice the main bearings looked. With the past 3 builds (not SoCal), the mains were basically squashed out and worn to nothing, some with only less than 15 passes at less HP than I ran this build.

Which bearings were you using ?

super diesel

<<<< Under Pressure
any idea why your internally balanced crank spun a main bearing Michael?

Ben. I could see where the bearing surfaces had been scraped by the crank on the other journals. It looked as though the film surface had been POUNDED out of the bearing lands and made contact. When contact is made it can tear the bearing loose and then it's all over. Guy sent me bearings that had .001 more clearance in them. I wanted to pin them in with a dowel (.125 in the centers of the cap and block journal and bellow the surface of the bearing itself) but in the end I didn't. It has worked ok so far. I think I'm onto another piece of the problem though with these spun bearings (why it's #2 and sometimes #1 is maybe because they are getting the jist of the load from the acc off the nose) and broke pistons. It is probably only part of the problem but I think its a major contributor.

Jackblack99

Oct 18, 2012
Nowhere
Bring this one back... So about how much mallory does it generally take to internally balance one of these cranks? And did you ever try putting weight at the rear of the crank?