High engine temps

danzick

playing with fire
Feb 20, 2014
Livingston, MT
So I caved and decided to pull the stack apart to clean it. It was fairly clean. I could see a little sand in the radiator from the sand they lay down for winter. Big find for me was I decided to do a boost leak check again. My intercooler has a split in it right at the bottom. Is this common? It was leaking pretty bad.

Attachments

• IMG_20210701_193134188_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210701_193134188_HDR.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 82

NevadaLLY

Adam B
Feb 24, 2019
Reno, NV
So I caved and decided to pull the stack apart to clean it. It was fairly clean. I could see a little sand in the radiator from the sand they lay down for winter. Big find for me was I decided to do a boost leak check again. My intercooler has a split in it right at the bottom. Is this common? It was leaking pretty bad.
Mine had just pin hole leaks. That one is bad! I replaced with CSF and I’m happy with it

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
That's good to hear. I really don't want to spend 1000+ on a banks or a mushimoto.

Northern Radiator is another solid choice. They make the BD cores and are an extruded microfin design which is extremely efficient as well as promotes more airflow to the cooling stack unlike a bar and plate design due to their individual tube thicknesses.

Also the XDP intercoolers seem decent. I have no long-term experience with one but we just put one into a close friend's truck and it's been holding up for the last 2k mi to a s475/64mm ihi setup on his LB7.

turbo_bu

Mar 27, 2007
Central IL
There are two stats. The 180 deg. goes to the back and the 186 deg. is in the front. Remove air conditioning compressor and put aside, remove oil filler tube, clean up the mating surfaces, install stats, re-install housing, bleed the system thoroughly, top off fluid, dbl check that the system is bleed and then test out.
Not to derail this thread, but getting ready to swap the theromostats on my LB7 and was wondering if you needed to replace the housing gasket, or is it re-usable?

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
I’m always rewarded when I take the time to search this forum! Such good info on the fan clutch and the a/c! I replaced mine with a Kennedy and immediately started having a/c compressor problems (kicking out the a/c at idle!). I thought maybe I damaged a wire or something and it was coincidence, but nope. Put a fan in front of the truck and all good with the a/c at idle - turn it off and the a/c light goes on and off and air is hot. The fan doesn’t seem to move much air at all at idle, like it’s freewheeling too much. No time to send it back for a warranty replacement - 14hr round trip with the family coming up ASAP :). Kennedy refused return of this new defective unit so I’ll let my CC deal with that noise. OEM fan clutch ready for pickup tomorrow at the dealership. Hopefully it’s a good one.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
I’m always rewarded when I take the time to search this forum! Such good info on the fan clutch and the a/c! I replaced mine with a Kennedy and immediately started having a/c compressor problems (kicking out the a/c at idle!). I thought maybe I damaged a wire or something and it was coincidence, but nope. Put a fan in front of the truck and all good with the a/c at idle - turn it off and the a/c light goes on and off and air is hot. The fan doesn’t seem to move much air at all at idle, like it’s freewheeling too much. No time to send it back for a warranty replacement - 14hr round trip with the family coming up ASAP :). Kennedy refused return of this new defective unit so I’ll let my CC deal with that noise. OEM fan clutch ready for pickup tomorrow at the dealership. Hopefully it’s a good one.

I'm real surprised Kennedy told you to kick rocks on a new defective item. I personally have had good luck with their clutches.

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
I don't want to get ugly or into a pissing match with a guy that's been around as literally OG D-Max, so I chalked it up to maybe he had a bad day and l told him I'd dispute it with my CC company. He just said "Whatever". I've never seen a seller with a DOA part pull that kind of crap, but whatever. I'm sure Discover will make this go away. I've been with them 28 years and aside from scammers, I've never had an issue like this to dispute.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I don't want to get ugly or into a pissing match with a guy that's been around as literally OG D-Max, so I chalked it up to maybe he had a bad day and l told him I'd dispute it with my CC company. He just said "Whatever". I've never seen a seller with a DOA part pull that kind of crap, but whatever. I'm sure Discover will make this go away. I've been with them 28 years and aside from scammers, I've never had an issue like this to dispute.
you arent the first one ive heard of having this issue sadly....

Reactions: N2BRK

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
I'm certainly disappointed, but glad that I didn't open my mouth and get kicked in the teeth. You do take a bit of a risk giving honest info sometimes when it isn't something particularly nice nor positive - especially when he's been around so long. I've been around here since 2008 and have seen a lot of legit and some BS complaints about guys. This forum always tells it like it is, without generally picking favorites. LOL

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
there must be something on the mfg side of the clutch though cause i know of multiple people going through stock clutches out here and they are lucky to get one that works. it started with the Hydens being hit or miss but it seems like any of them are hit or miss now. i dont know if the fluid inside is incorrect or not filled enough or if its the thermal spring?

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
Fwiw the thin one is a Kennedy. The other is from the stealership. Also at rest, I can spin the nut on the Kennedy much easier; less drag. Now I have enough drag at idle that the a/c is happily getting air.

Attachments

• 0CFE0026-450C-4A59-8003-688978181AE8.jpeg
    0CFE0026-450C-4A59-8003-688978181AE8.jpeg
    258.7 KB · Views: 28
Reactions: snowman22

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
Not saying this is the case with yours, but the first Hayden I ordered came with a leak that soaked the box. Replacement seems to be ok

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
Not to flog a dead horse, but some words of warning. DIscover Card dropped buyer protection apparently, and I am stuck with a defective item and Kennedy's line of bull$hit to them. I'm obviously not the only one he's screwed, so be forwarned if you're thinking about buying. At least I got the GM hub on before my trip to OBX. The A/C works like a charm and my engine temps are lower than with the Kennedy POS.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
Fwiw the thin one is a Kennedy. The other is from the stealership. Also at rest, I can spin the nut on the Kennedy much easier; less drag. Now I have enough drag at idle that the a/c is happily getting air.
I bought one of Kennedy's fan clutches a few years back and was surprised to see it was a Hayden/Imperial manufactured fan clutch, but it did have a different calibration spring, and the shaft was clocked different than a stock Hayden. So far it has been good, but I put ZERO faith in Hayden's fan clutches anymore. I put one on from Oreilly's that lasted less than 500 miles, replaced it, and that one quit on me in the Smoky Mountains towing my 32' travel trailer after kicking in just 1 time. That was when I put on the one from Kennedy. I wish I had the room in mine to swap over to the 09 DURAMAX van EVC fan & clutch setup., then I could control when it kicks on and off.

Reactions: N2BRK