High engine temps

danzick

playing with fire
Feb 20, 2014
Livingston, MT
Well I guess it's not the thermostats. I'm so over this!!! Did some testing with my toy hauler on some hills in my area. This thing is getting stupid hot. It ran right up to 240 And blew coolant all over the truck. Now, my tranny temps are hot. 210-215 hardly going anywhere. I've never had that trouble before. I find it weird because when the trans temp gauge shows 210, my hand held temp gauge shows like 180 and 150 at the trans cooler lines.

snowman22

Jan 30, 2018
SoCal
The dash never shows what the actual sensor is reading. What are your EGT's when all this is happening? I don't remember if you can even put the thermostats in upside down, but that could cause some real problems. What thermostats did you put in?

danzick

playing with fire
Feb 20, 2014
Livingston, MT
Napa brand. I put them in the same way I pulled them out. Egts we're 1200-1300. Around 1100 when I tried od lock out and going 65 up the hill.

danzick

playing with fire
Feb 20, 2014
Livingston, MT
I think the Kennedy fan is junk. Weird that my trans temps are all of the sudden through the roof now. I don't hear it at all on the interstate. Only when going slow through town or the on ramp.

danzick

playing with fire
Feb 20, 2014
Livingston, MT
As far as? Major heating problem is fixed. I put the Hayden back in and did the same loop. Max coolant temp was 201, and trans temp stayed at 180. John Kennedy will be getting this one back. I'm gonna go with a factory clutch next time. I'm sick of messing with these aftermarket ones.

MAXX IT OUT

<<<IT WORKS
Mar 1, 2013
Des Moines, Iowa
What are peoples thoughs on running low opening thermostats for summer towing? Have lately been swapping between 2 sets of thermostats, winter ones run between 185-195 and the ones I run in the summer run at 170. That's just running down the road. Main reason I am doing it is to attempt to drop underwood temp, which seems to work, but if you hit a hill with a lower start temp, you should be able to go longer before hit that high temp mark. Granted at the end of the day once you hear soak the cooling system, the radiator can only get rid of a X amount of BTU's of heat.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Did you ever clean the cooling stack? A restricted cooling stack will cause delayed fan clutch engagement also.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
As far as? Major heating problem is fixed. I put the Hayden back in and did the same loop. Max coolant temp was 201, and trans temp stayed at 180. John Kennedy will be getting this one back. I'm gonna go with a factory clutch next time. I'm sick of messing with these aftermarket ones.

There has been a massive run of bad fans from hayden and even factory ones are hit or miss. Im surprised Johns was bad as they are the most reliable ones out there imho.

What are peoples thoughs on running low opening thermostats for summer towing? Have lately been swapping between 2 sets of thermostats, winter ones run between 185-195 and the ones I run in the summer run at 170. That's just running down the road. Main reason I am doing it is to attempt to drop underwood temp, which seems to work, but if you hit a hill with a lower start temp, you should be able to go longer before hit that high temp mark. Granted at the end of the day once you hear soak the cooling system, the radiator can only get rid of a X amount of BTU's of heat.

if you have an over heating issue already, it wont do much. if your cooling system is on the cusp of not being enough, it buys you a little more time up the hills. if your cooling system is large enough, you can hold a little lower temp for a little longer but you will hit temps that cause the fan to come on just as before

imho, good for drag racing to have a little lower temps and doing back to back racing. for towing, meh.

danzick

playing with fire
Feb 20, 2014
Livingston, MT
Did you ever clean the cooling stack? A restricted cooling stack will cause delayed fan clutch engagement also.
Not since I did a few years ago, but I just can't see it being plugged. There is virtually no bugs in the intercooler. Truck is always stored inside. I've only put probably 5k on it in the last 5 years.

danzick

playing with fire
Feb 20, 2014
Livingston, MT
There has been a massive run of bad fans from hayden and even factory ones are hit or miss. Im surprised Johns was bad as they are the most reliable ones out there imho.

if you have an over heating issue already, it wont do much. if your cooling system is on the cusp of not being enough, it buys you a little more time up the hills. if your cooling system is large enough, you can hold a little lower temp for a little longer but you will hit temps that cause the fan to come on just as before

imho, good for drag racing to have a little lower temps and doing back to back racing. for towing, meh.
Well I'm going to give his clutch another shot I guess. He doesn't accept returns, so I will be trying to get it warrantied. When the trans temp hit 210, it's crazy it wouldn't even cool down when I idling for 15 minutes. It would drop to 208 for about 5 seconds then back up to 210. After reinstalling the Hayden it was at 180 idling no problem.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Well I'm going to give his clutch another shot I guess. He doesn't accept returns, so I will be trying to get it warrantied. When the trans temp hit 210, it's crazy it wouldn't even cool down when I idling for 15 minutes. It would drop to 208 for about 5 seconds then back up to 210. After reinstalling the Hayden it was at 180 idling no problem.

i dont doubt its a clutch issue. running the hayden proves that.

danzick

playing with fire
Feb 20, 2014
Livingston, MT
I'm a little confused with it honestly. It feels stiffer than the Hayden by hand and it seems to pull air while at an idle fine, but for some reason it's not enough.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
ive never took the time to look into EXACTLY what makes them tick.

this is why i eventually went to a solid hub on my fan and id just switch it between summer and winter months. No worries about fan clutch then and a/c worked better at low speed.you just never got a break from the fan noise but it honestly never shut off when towing anyhow.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
When you cleaned the cooling stack, did you actually remove everything from the truck and split it all apart? Are your fan shrouds all in place and not broken or missing pieces?

NevadaLLY

Adam B
Feb 24, 2019
Reno, NV
I run the lower temp mishimoto's year round. I started running them a few years back when I was attempting the same fix. It helps a little as when the temps start to rise, the fan kicks in a little bit sooner and you can milk it a little longer. As James mentioned, these cooling systems are already taxed so they need some additional support.

Not since I did a few years ago, but I just can't see it being plugged. There is virtually no bugs in the intercooler. Truck is always stored inside. I've only put probably 5k on it in the last 5 years.
Last year APRIL I installed my compound turbo kit. Shortly thereafter, I needed to upgrade intercoolers and so I removed the entire stack to do so. I was shocked how much was between the rad and intercooler. It's not visible from the outside. there's a bit of a low pressure area at the center of the cooling fan that collects the most debris/dirt/dust. I washed the entire stack out and re-assembled. During my build this year, I decided to put in a new radiator because I was there. I was again shocked at the debris between the two. Not nearly as bad as the first time, but definitely enough to impact performance. I'm going to make it a yearly maintenance item if I continue to tow the way I do. It's worth a shot. I live in NV and we don't see a lot of humidity but the dust/dirt/light debris from the road are regular.
ive never took the time to look into EXACTLY what makes them tick.

this is why i eventually went to a solid hub on my fan and id just switch it between summer and winter months. No worries about fan clutch then and a/c worked better at low speed.you just never got a break from the fan noise but it honestly never shut off when towing anyhow.
The fan clutches use a mechanically actuated spring (think old thermostat in your house attached to a mercury switch). As the heat transfers through the stack, the spring deforms which actuates the clutch and locks in the fan. I believe the fan is engaged "cold" and the spring opens up to an "operating range" which the fan is in roughly free spin (its actually engaged but at a much lower %). As temps rise, the spring deforms, engages the clutch and you should then have nearly 1-1 rotation of fan clutch to fan. As the clutch wears out, the fan will slip and start falling away from the 1-1 AND moves more toward free spin during the normal operating range. This can contribute to the high pressure side on the AC system going out of tolerance and having issues there, not to mention difficulty maintaining normal temps.

danzick

playing with fire
Feb 20, 2014
Livingston, MT
When you cleaned the cooling stack, did you actually remove everything from the truck and split it all apart? Are your fan shrouds all in place and not broken or missing pieces?
Everything including the upper grill to support piece that people always remove. I don't think I removed the rad. If memory servers me right I took the intercooler out and kinda pryed the front coolers out of the way. I do remember it was pretty much spotless. A little dirt came out when I pressure washed the intercooler.

sneaky98gt

Nov 5, 2013
Out of curiosity, where were you pulling the temperature numbers from? My dash gauge consistently reads 20-25 degrees higher than it actually is. It runs 190-195 under pretty much all conditions (as pulled from the ECM), but the dash gauge shows 210-215.