High EGT's, lack of power, black smoke, poor mpg

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Some of my first tunes for my LMM had aggressive vane position and it was slow to build boost and smoked excessively. Rebuilt the vane table and it works wonderfully now.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
At WOT? How many RPMs? Even with a bad vane position sensor I was still able to make 20 psi back when I was relatively stock. At WOT 3k rpms.

domeniccurulla

Jun 1, 2020
At WOT? How many RPMs? Even with a bad vane position sensor I was still able to make 20 psi back when I was relatively stock. At WOT 3k rpms.
I'm not sure what WOT is but 7lbs of boost is the highest I see even balls to the wall. I will get an exact rom later when I go to work

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
I’d double check your boost numbers with a different sensor or with a standalone gauge.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
WOT= wide open throttle

I agree with LBZ. Something ain’t right I didnt think you can make that little boost at WOT and 3000+ rpms

domeniccurulla

Jun 1, 2020
Had a mechanic check the boost & was the same. He did find that the pipe from the egr delete popped out &there is a small leak on the back of the turbo

ikeG

Oughta Know Better
Apr 19, 2011
Western PA
www.facebook.com
It is not giving me any codes right now because somehow my truck lost juice (stereo was wiped too). I remember the code said vane positioning sensor. If we need the actual code I will have to drive it for a while which is ok cuz my metro is down for a couple days
This tells me it's the common stuck vane problem.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Bdsankey

ZigBlazer

Jul 10, 2019
MN
Did you find the cause? I have an LBZ with a stage 1 turbo (fairly new) that should make boost easier than a stock one. My mileage went down when I put it on, but no black smoke at that time. I remapped the vane table, which helped the mileage, a couple years ago. But recently I am getting some black smoke and high egts. Although I am still getting the required boost (over 20psi). Unfortunately I know I have no exhaust or boost leaks to easily fix.