Help on tires

KRATOCT

Aug 22, 2011
Going to need new tires on the 2016 2500hd LML this spring. Doing appropriate research before hand. Live in northern Michigan and will run these year round so my goal is always an aggressive look but I need the good road manners and very good traction on snow and ice. I’ve previously had the toyo mt’s on my last two trucks, 98 Sierra half ton and 07 LMM, both 33x12.50. Both were an excellent set of tires with no complaints. Did very well in snow for any tire especially an mt. With that said, I only had both trucks for about a year after putting the new tires on so I’m not sure how bad they harden up after a year or how they perform closer to that 50% tread life.
Looking for information on long term performance of the toyo mt and thoughts on the other offerings from toyo and nitto such as the Nitto Ridge grappler, toyo open country RT and now the new Nitto Recon Grappler.

19trax95

Jun 30, 2021
The toyo open country AT is my favorite tire by far.

I've tried other tires and have always been fairly disappointed. I had a set of Cooper AT3 xlts on my 17 and they were by far the worst tire I've ever had in the snow.

Last winter I had a set of bfg ko2s and they did good in the snow, but were pretty piss poor on dry pavement.

The toyos just seem to do good in everything. I run a set of 305/55r20s on my summer wheels and I picked up a set of 275/65r20s for some stock wheels. They also wear really good in my experience.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
I've had 2 sets of Ridge Graplers and I'm not sure about them. Lots 9f guys love them, but I'm not sure. I'd like to try Toyo RTs. Duratracs are good.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I've had good luck with the Nitto Dura Grapplers. seems to be a good all around tire

tried some michelin tires but didn't like them as the compound was too hard for grip in wet or snow

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I just put some Dick Cepek Trail Country EXP tires on my truck. They were very reasonably priced and had generally good reviews online. A few people complained about them being noisy, but for a fairly aggressive tire, I'm very pleased with the noise level (that may change as they wear). I don't have any experience with them myself on anything other than dry pavement, but there were a good number of reviews on Tire Rack's website. They might be worth considering.

Nate’s Dmax

Dec 11, 2020
I have the Nitto Terra Grappler G2s on my winter wheels and they do real well. I’m thinking of going with the Recon Grappler next. I’m a Nitto fan as i have the 420s on my summer wheels.

BoiseRob

Oct 12, 2007
I've had good luck with the Nitto Dura Grapplers. seems to be a good all around tire

Nitto Duragrapler pic1_14-Oct-2018 z.jpg

This DuraGrappler let go @ 70mph while towing our 11k pound TT. Good thing I kept the carcass since Nitto paid the $6k insurance claim.