LB7: Help me spend my money for better power towing!!

turbovan

Too many toys!!!
Mar 4, 2018
Abbotsford, BC, Canada.
Well it was worth a try,

For me, when I went from a 31.5" tire to a 34" it went from a good acceleration down to a turd. Well I do believe that I could still have towed a decent load like this, basically just dropping down a gear it was not as "fun" to drive as previously.

Then I re-geared it and man what a difference. Feels like I can pull down a house now. I did the install myself front and rear for about $800 or so. Sure made me a believe in proper gearing

If the tune and mods don't help, then I'll gear but the trans will go in first, I've been warned enough, lol. Ordered the rebuild kit and TC today.

I think its in his tuning, but WTF do I know?

That Banks wastegate is a waste of time.

Probably, but its safe for reason, maybe I am expecting too much! Just thought it would be better at towing and get better mpg. :eek:

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
Your truck at best makes 280hp 500ish torque to the tires. The LMM bone stock is probably doing 320hp and 600 torque. You also have taller tires. If you’re going to compare the two trucks get ready to spend a lot of money. Throw some 4:10 gears in it and drive it. It’s not going to keep up with the LMM unless you get a quality converter and built trans.

turbovan

Too many toys!!!
Mar 4, 2018
Abbotsford, BC, Canada.
Your truck at best makes 280hp 500ish torque to the tires. The LMM bone stock is probably doing 320hp and 600 torque. You also have taller tires. If you’re going to compare the two trucks get ready to spend a lot of money. Throw some 4:10 gears in it and drive it. It’s not going to keep up with the LMM unless you get a quality converter and built trans.

I get that but the tires on his LMM are huge. Trans in the works, I'll install it and turn up the tune with Ricks up pipes, talked to him thru a PM. :thumb:

Great advice guys, thanks.

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
I get that but the tires on his LMM are huge. Trans in the works, I'll install it and turn up the tune with Ricks up pipes, talked to him thru a PM. :thumb:

Great advice guys, thanks.

Thing is he’s probably running 4th with a tire that’s “huge” and you’re still in 5th.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I am running 34" tires and 4:56 gearing so it may not be a good comparison

5th & 6th while towing no problem. Actually demanded most of the time while cruising with a load

Pure Diesel

Apr 22, 2008
Ventura County
I think its in his tuning, but WTF do I know?

That Banks wastegate is a waste of time.

I might have been the few but I got a good bang for the buck on this.

He can adjust the wastegate all day, with a almost stock tune there is not enough fuel to drive the charger hard enough to make 30 psi

I made 22lbs boost completely stock. I first ran a Hypertech in the 60hp position and it still only did 22lbs till I installed the Bighead. Even in the lowest level it ran over 22lbs. I think there might something else going on, with his mileage, that might be giving him low performance.

ChrisPerry

Apr 4, 2016
Ventura, CA
You can see my truck in my sig, I can haul my rock crawler/trailer (8k) and 900-1000 lbs of gear in the truck bed over a 7% grade at 80mph. EGTs just under 1200. Wouldn't even think of trying it before doing the trans, killed the original one with a 90-100rwhp tune in a 5-4 downshift under too much throttle.

Trimox

Aug 31, 2017
Ordered the rebuild kit and TC today.

What "rebuild kit" did you get?

I just went through this with mine. I know the PPE stage 5 is just an upgrade kit. My trans had 280K+ on it so I wanted a full rebuild while I was paying the money. Had to buy an extra seal kit ($250). And you better have some extra steels laying around if you have clearance issues. Make sure you have all the tools to check end play as well. Have to give credit to Naylor Transmission on this!

Don't get me wrong I love my trans now, +230 no limp:woott:. But there is a reason Mike and George have the respect that that do. My guy was not going give it back to me unless it was done right, that is hard to find.

There is an old post on here about the clutch pack clearance I will see if I can find it.

turbovan

Too many toys!!!
Mar 4, 2018
Abbotsford, BC, Canada.
You can see my truck in my sig, I can haul my rock crawler/trailer (8k) and 900-1000 lbs of gear in the truck bed over a 7% grade at 80mph. EGTs just under 1200. Wouldn't even think of trying it before doing the trans, killed the original one with a 90-100rwhp tune in a 5-4 downshift under too much throttle.

That's why I went with a small tow tune, didn't want to smoke the trans, keep hearing all the horror story's. :banghead:

Forgot to add, the year before I bought mine, used my friends 6.0L diesel with a small tune and exhaust, huge tires, pulled more weight with ease. I know the 6.0L has a very strong stock trans vs our so so stock Allison. Maybe that's why I am dissapointed, :eek:

What "rebuild kit" did you get?

I just went through this with mine. I know the PPE stage 5 is just an upgrade kit. My trans had 280K+ on it so I wanted a full rebuild while I was paying the money. Had to buy an extra seal kit ($250). And you better have some extra steels laying around if you have clearance issues. Make sure you have all the tools to check end play as well. Have to give credit to Naylor Transmission on this!

Don't get me wrong I love my trans now, +230 no limp:woott:. But there is a reason Mike and George have the respect that that do. My guy was not going give it back to me unless it was done right, that is hard to find.

There is an old post on here about the clutch pack clearance I will see if I can find it.

TCS is local to me so I bought their upgrade kit and billet single disc converter. Can't afford to have Mike or Suncoast etc do my trans, not that rich sadly, plus shipping!!! :(

Will be having a local trans shop help me out as well.

Thanks for any links you find.

You guys are awesome, :woott:

ZeroGravity58

Mar 23, 2008
Maryland
I might have been the few but I got a good bang for the buck on this.

I made 22lbs boost completely stock. I first ran a Hypertech in the 60hp position and it still only did 22lbs till I installed the Bighead. Even in the lowest level it ran over 22lbs. I think there might something else going on, with his mileage, that might be giving him low performance.

Very true, might want to check the intercooler and hot/cold piping for any leaks.

torqued2dmax

Mar 26, 2017
Brookville, PA
I might have missed it , did you do the pump rub kit ? If not , with 400000 on it , do it today !!! All that other stuff wont do any good if the truck wont move ! The kit seems to be the last thing most of us want to do because it dosent make power or more noise or look better , but when you take the t case apart and see how close you were to loosing $1600 then you feel alot better !

turbovan

Too many toys!!!
Mar 4, 2018
Abbotsford, BC, Canada.
Last night, scanned my truck, had codes for the APP pedal, replaced it and holy crap, what a difference in the way she runs. Never did set a SES light. I am going on a regular trip in the next week or so up the same mountains, without weight, so we'll see if that makes a difference.

If a 6.0 Ford with a small tune is out pulling your truck, it has issues.

Like I said earlier, probably expecting too much, :eek: It gets me there, so really, I shouldn't complain. :thumb:

I might have missed it , did you do the pump rub kit ? If not , with 400000 on it , do it today !!! All that other stuff wont do any good if the truck wont move ! The kit seems to be the last thing most of us want to do because it dosent make power or more noise or look better , but when you take the t case apart and see how close you were to loosing $1600 then you feel alot better !

Good point, keep forgetting that. Thanks.:thumb:

Last edited:

turbovan

Too many toys!!!
Mar 4, 2018
Abbotsford, BC, Canada.
Did a boost valve and an AFE Stage 2 air box, got roughly 4 psi more boost off idle and 2 more on top, a whole new animal, so much more fun to drive, towing is much better too. Runs smoother and quieter. MPG up as well. Bad news, coming back from dirt biking yesterday, started to miss at idle and puffing out smoke, :mad:

So its either new injectors or swap an LLY top end on.