LB7: Help me spend my money for better power towing!!

turbovan

Too many toys!!!
Mar 4, 2018
Abbotsford, BC, Canada.
My truck just doesn't seem to have the get up and go I thought it would towing-first year owner of it. My brothers bone stock 09 will kill it towing the same weight or a lot more. :( Towing a 26 ft Prowler Toy Hauler, aprox 9-10K loaded, towing very hilly terrain, averaging 7 mpg.

Truck has 400K, previous history unknown but well maintained, starts so fast I barely have time to release the key. Fresh filters, transmission shifts fine-fluid nice and red, balance rates fairly equal, no smoke or hazing at idle.

Mods so far are 3" exhaust, Banks big head wastegate-22 psi then I gave up adjusting it, lol, custom 30hp tune by a local tuner, 3.5" turbo inlet.

Mods to do, have the parts-BD drivers manifold, 3" DP, EGT gauge-I know should have it done first. :eek: and a lift pump.

I want to turn it up another 50hp but have been advised not to so I don't kill my trans. Read about manifold and up pipes-read that huge thread on it, lol, y-bridge? Would like to port the turbo but too lazy, also want to get the tapshifter.

Any other suggestions? Buying a new truck is not happening. TIA. :woott:

Edit, have about $1200 to spend. :)

Last edited:

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Save up your money build the trans and get a bigger tune.
I’m not sure why you think your truck should keep up with a LMM as is. The trans is the weak point. A tune will give you more power then a lmm, but your trans won’t hold it for long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RickDLance

Feb 14, 2007
I would run a compression check on it first. Let's make sure the motor isn't getting weak.

Also if you already have the BD manifold then just do the TowFlow up pipes. That should get you about 20 more HP. Might as well throw a down pipe on too.

Remember too that your brothers 09 is higher rated in HP and in torque.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
all this stuff you are doing is great for more power but it does you no good when the trans starts to slip and die and you still get beat.

make sure engine is healthy like Rick says and then put a trans in it.

Pure Diesel

Apr 22, 2008
Ventura County
As everyone else has said, build the tranny. You only have $1,200.00 and that's not enough. Expect about $3k-$3600. If your only making 22lbs of boost that really needs to be fixed. Max an LB7 should be set for is 30lbs. When I had the LB7 in the truck it really woke up when I got that adjusted to 30lbs.

turbovan

Too many toys!!!
Mar 4, 2018
Abbotsford, BC, Canada.
Thanks guys, great advice.

Trans is in the works, I have a 6 speed core I am going to rebuild over the summer.

Rick, do your up pipes fit the stock manifolds? If so, I'll do those when I do the BD manifold and dp.

I'll turn the boost up too, :woott:

Last edited:

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Throw some 4:10 gears in it. With your tire size it will bring it right back to nearly stock rpms.

Should be a little easier on the trans too

turbovan

Too many toys!!!
Mar 4, 2018
Abbotsford, BC, Canada.
Throw some 4:10 gears in it. With your tire size it will bring it right back to nearly stock rpms.

Should be a little easier on the trans too

With my current tires, my ratio is 3.55, which isn't stellar but I've have friends/know people running Dmax's, Cummins and Powerstrokes that have tires that dwarf mine, and no have no issues towing with stock rear gears.

Also, for me, that would be expensive as I have to regear the front, :(

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Well it was worth a try,

For me, when I went from a 31.5" tire to a 34" it went from a good acceleration down to a turd. Well I do believe that I could still have towed a decent load like this, basically just dropping down a gear it was not as "fun" to drive as previously.

Then I re-geared it and man what a difference. Feels like I can pull down a house now. I did the install myself front and rear for about $800 or so. Sure made me a believe in proper gearing

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
I think its in his tuning, but WTF do I know?

That Banks wastegate is a waste of time.

ZeroGravity58

Mar 23, 2008
Maryland
As everyone else has said, build the tranny. You only have $1,200.00 and that's not enough. Expect about $3k-$3600. If your only making 22lbs of boost that really needs to be fixed. Max an LB7 should be set for is 30lbs. When I had the LB7 in the truck it really woke up when I got that adjusted to 30lbs.

He can adjust the wastegate all day, with a almost stock tune there is not enough fuel to drive the charger hard enough to make 30 psi