Help...duramax forum was no help...

Kat

Wicked Witch of the West
Aug 2, 2006
Norco, CA
Have you seen if it does it with the stock tune? That would rule out tuning.

chrisuns

Sep 11, 2009
San Antonio, TX
Start by changing to your stock tune. If it's still doing it, than that rules out tuning as a issue. After that, proceed to check your balance rates. From there check the actual vs. desired rail pressure. Sounds like CP3, FPR, or injectors -- IIRC I think it's higher pressures that cause a rattle and rough idle, but I could be very well wrong and it be the other way around. Either way, you'll be able to tell from the logs.

If it's nothing from there, then you go on a troll hunt unfortunately. :/

dmaxx01

May 28, 2011
parkland florida
thanks guys! first thing i did was tune it back down to stock. no change in sound. i will have balance rates checked tomorrow. you know the cracked flex plate doen't sound that far fetched. the noise is loudest under truck where engine and tranny meet. maybe the injector issue is just echoing through the exhaust or maybe its the flywheel. but if it was the flywheel would it stop rattling after 1000 rpms? the rattle is perfectly timed and consistent with the rpms.

sandsuby

Mar 22, 2011
Rancho Cucamonga Ca.
My uncles truck was making a odd noise . After a bit of checking around ,we found the connection between the down pipe and the front exhaust pipe had loosened up.
we cranked it down and the noise was gone.
or u could remove the serp. belt and eliminate belts and pulleys.
There was a bulliten early in 2002 that had to do with a noise , that would occur right after a oil change.
Just a couple shots in the dark to think about
Good luck

Mike_S

OOPS!
Nov 18, 2009
Idaho
Does the engine lope much at all when cold? If yes then the problem is likely a stuck fuel pressure regulator. This causes too high of pressure at idle, and will increase injection noise and diesel clatter.

DIESELMAFIAPER.LB7

<----new hotness
Jan 17, 2010
idaho
shop.dieselmafiaperformance.com
thanks guys! first thing i did was tune it back down to stock. no change in sound. i will have balance rates checked tomorrow. you know the cracked flex plate doen't sound that far fetched. the noise is loudest under truck where engine and tranny meet. maybe the injector issue is just echoing through the exhaust or maybe its the flywheel. but if it was the flywheel would it stop rattling after 1000 rpms? the rattle is perfectly timed and consistent with the rpms.

Check your tq converter bolts make sure there tight and if they are its probably a flexplate

1chevy02

Jun 23, 2009
I have had the exhaust hanger by the transfer case drive me nuts looking for a rattle. The rubber on that hanger tends to fall out. Flexplate also sounds logical to me.

THEREDDEVIL

A Bad seed
Jul 28, 2010
Godfrey, il
U need to start eliminating parts and pieces. Get some soapy water in a spray bottle and spray down all the potential exhaust leak spots. If nothing, then move on to the flywheel/TC. Then pull the belt off and start it up and see if it changes. It's a novel idea called process of elimination. I think al gore invented it.:spit: