Help...duramax forum was no help...

battlegraduate09

Gearhead
Mar 18, 2010
im in abingdon VA. if you need a hand you can pm me for my number if i can ever get some time off. durallymax (vinny) has an awesome write up on how to pull the trans. You can do it without a lift but it certainly makes it easier

dmaxx01

May 28, 2011
parkland florida
badly cracked flexplate....

just an update for you guys....through the observation panel on the side of the allison, i can clearly see that the flexplate is cracked...bad in multiple places....thanks for your help! who knows where i can get an upgraded flexplate cheap? i saw ats has one for $750. to much $. suncoast has one for $600. that's alittle better. any suggestions? oh and by the way....DF wasn't much help this time :) but you guys helped me figure it out :thumb: seems as though my friend was right....

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
Check with Henry from Creaturesofthenightperformance.com he will hook you up and fast and his prices are very good there is a link to him on the bottom of my sig

Mike_S

OOPS!
Nov 18, 2009
Idaho
Once you start tearing in the thing, look for any signes of missalignment. Sometimes flexplates do crack randomly, but generally if they break out badly its due to some sort of missalignment, loose bellhousing bolts, something trapped between engine and trans mating surfaces, ect. How much HP are you running? If youre not at a high level, i would not feel bad runnin a stock flexplate. Seen them live at the 600 HP range for years without issue. :thumb:

sparepartsracing

spareparts offroad&fab
Mar 17, 2010
i had the same problem but i had loss of power and sounded like i bent all my rods and it was the fuel pressure regulator or something like that the wires got wet

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
Be glad you caught it now,my buddy didnt catch his in time and couldnt get the bolts out of what was left of the flex plate and they had to pull the trans off the t/c :eek:

dmaxx01

May 28, 2011
parkland florida
truck is fixed

so on friday with the help of a friend i pulled the tranny in the apartment complex parking lot. wasn't to bad although it did take all day. first thing we discovered was that one of the 6 tc bolts was broke off. as we pulled out the tranny we found the head to that bolt and another spare bolt laying in the bottom of the bell housing. sure enough the whole center section of the flexplate or drive plate was busted out. so we replaced the flexplate. man those bolts were tight! then we had to drill and remove the bolt that was broken off in the tc, tap the hole and get ready to install the tranny. sunday afternoon it took us about 4 hours to install the tranny( again on jack stands in the parking lot). monday morning picked up some transynd, filled the tranny(it took 15 quarts to bring it to an acceptable level) started it up...everything good. I've got 100 miles on it since we put it back together. no problems. i have noticed a few drips of fluid coming from the small holes in the bottom of the bell housing. maybe its just some residual from the install. i sure hope so. what else could be leaking? i'll monitor it closely to see if it stops.
thanks you guys for your help!

1chevy02

Jun 23, 2009
I have had the sealing rings on the torqur converter break, if you are not careful. Sounds like from your other thread that it is engine oil though.