Hello- Whistling Headache Rack

DirtyMax6speed

May 17, 2012
Hey All,

Just got a new work truck a few weeks ago, 2006 Sierra SLT Crew Cab long bed with just under 70k. We absolutely love this thing- it's very comfortable, nice inside, and of course has gobs of power. The turbo sounds soooo good. We don't tow much weight with it most of the time, just a 16' double axle open trailer, a 20' jet boat and a 16' 2 stroke (yeah my job is cool sometimes :D). After nearly killing our old 97 Yukon with that trailer loaded with a pallet of barb wire and 2 pallets of T posts, we decided it was time for a tow rig.

I'm stoked to read up on this beast but the main reason I joined is because the headache rack whistles like a bitch between 60 and 70. I'm guessing there is something simple to do to break up the air flow?

On to pictures!

a4023f3f.jpg

400c61d3.jpg

469fdcce.jpg

And here is what I drive, 2002 Nissan Xterra

a55c4c7c.jpg

Good to meet you all!

jlawles2

Jan 28, 2010
Danbury, TX
Is that 2 pieces of tubing sticking straight up? If they are open on the top, that is most likely where the noise is being generated. Try capping it with duct tape to see if the noise goes away.

BIG PHIL

32 valve
Aug 24, 2011
Weatherford Texas
Nice truck! Welcome to the site. I agree about the pipes on top of the rack, if they're open thats probably where the whistle is coming from.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

DirtyMax6speed

May 17, 2012
Thanks guys. I'll check on Monday if the tubes have caps.

Anyone else in love with this G80 axle? I've had it engage on a muddy boat ramp and starting on a steep gravel hill, what a nice feature! The only lockers available for my Xterra are selectable air lockers.

AKlowriderZ71

May 14, 2012
Wyoming
I'd take a selectable air locker over the G80 any day.

Nice looking truck though, super clean! Those headache racks are always noisy. If you really don't need it, remove it. You'll get better hwy mileage from the reduced drag with it gone anyway.

If you need it, you'll need to come up with some sort of an air foil for it. I'll see if I can find a pic. The noise isn't coming from the uprights, it's coming from the horizontal bar.

EDIT: I don't need to find a pic for you. Just look at the little air spoiler on the front of the roof rack on your X-Terra. That little ramp looking thing on the front is there to get rid of the wind noise. If you removed it, your Nissan would sound just like your truck!

Darius6t9

I'm the Floater. Lurking.
Aug 23, 2008
Rusk, Tx. Again
Welcome to the site. Nice truck. And clean looking money maker ( I mean Xterra.) That's what we call those older body style Xterra's at my work. If you have any questions about it I might be able to help. I work for a Nissan Dealership.

DirtyMax6speed

May 17, 2012
Those headache racks are always noisy. If you really don't need it, remove it. You'll get better hwy mileage from the reduced drag with it gone anyway.

If you need it, you'll need to come up with some sort of an air foil for it.

Unfortunately we do need it.

It's a high-pitched resonance, not wind noise. So I was hoping there was something I could do to keep whatever is vibrating from vibrating if that makes any sense.

DirtyMax6speed

May 17, 2012
Welcome to the site. Nice truck. And clean looking money maker ( I mean Xterra.) That's what we call those older body style Xterra's at my work. If you have any questions about it I might be able to help. I work for a Nissan Dealership.

Do you call them that because they come in a lot or because they're easy to work on ;)

I've had to do a fair bit of maintenance but I bought it at 97k, they were things that would need to be done on any vehicle at that mileage. Tackling all 4 ball joints next weekend...

Darius6t9

Aug 23, 2008
Rusk, Tx. Again
A little bit of both. With doing the ball joints, you will be doing a hub pack. That is one of the most things to do and easiest. Another issue was the wax valve. Coolant starts to leak from it. Then there is the oil pan gasket. Those can be a pain sometimes. There should be a recall for the steering shaft if it has not been done yet.

DirtyMax6speed

May 17, 2012
A little bit of both. With doing the ball joints, you will be doing a hub pack. That is one of the most things to do and easiest. Another issue was the wax valve. Coolant starts to leak from it. Then there is the oil pan gasket. Those can be a pain sometimes. There should be a recall for the steering shaft if it has not been done yet.

Do you mean a wheel bearing pack? I've read about the wax pellet but it doesn't sound like a tough job. On the other hand there's a bypass hose that leaks which is a pain to get to unless you're doing the timing belt. My oil pan is actually leaking, probably from rust but it might be the gasket. Need to drop the front diff to change either... hopefully waiting until I finish my suspension lift and install diff drop bushings while I'm in there. The steering shaft recall has been done. There are a number of other common issues too... but a ladder frame true 4x4, reliable SUV is hard to come by.

Darius6t9

Aug 23, 2008
Rusk, Tx. Again
Yeah, the wheel bearing pack. And the wax pellet is just under the throttle linkage. Once you pull it out of its cage that it comes in, you have about 10 seconds to get it in its spot and tension back on it or it's ruined. There are a couple of neat tricks I learn to do it without messing it up. Helps to have and extra hand as well. You are right though. They are reliable suv's once you get some of the small crap taken care of.

DirtyMax6speed

May 17, 2012
Yeah, the wheel bearing pack. And the wax pellet is just under the throttle linkage. Once you pull it out of its cage that it comes in, you have about 10 seconds to get it in its spot and tension back on it or it's ruined. There are a couple of neat tricks I learn to do it without messing it up. Helps to have and extra hand as well. You are right though. They are reliable suv's once you get some of the small crap taken care of.

Way off topic, but hey, it's my thread haha... I thought you didn't have to pack the wheel bearings when changing out all the ball joints? Can't you leave it in the rotor?

DirtyMax6speed

May 17, 2012
Well some bad news on the DMax. I had the oil changed on 5/22 then drove it back to the shop. It sat 5/23, then after a couple startups on 5/24, it developed a bad piston slap on cold startups. I had a neighbor (300zx tuner) listen to it and he was pretty sure that's what it is. He thinks the previous owner put in an additive to thicken the oil up, to hide the spun bearing. Then the oil change got rid of it and now it's back. Luckily we got a powertrain warranty from the dealer (VW) and it is still covered. Hoping they don't try anything funny.

Texas Chevy

Feb 14, 2011
Vista, Ca
That really blows. That's part of the reason I don't like buying used vehicles. Good luck to you. Hope the warranty will cover it.

DirtyMax6speed

May 17, 2012
I took a video of it to a GMC mechanic and he said it's totally normal? He said it's play in the wrist pin, when the oil froths up. Said all diesels do it, does this sound right? He knew exactly the sound even before listening to it, described it like someone typing on a type writer.