Allison 5sp: Head scrathcer of the day

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
You should have done it before you called George. I talked to him about your trans today.

I didn't see this until after I had called him. They're in Florida and I can normally get parts from them in a day or 2 for ground shipping costs. I called to order a RAYBESTOS C2 pack and they said they were out and wanted to sell me another ALTO pack. I told them I didn't want to go through that again and they transferred me back to George to run it by him. Just trying to get this thing back on the road as quick as possible since it's my only ride.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Mike wins the bet. Tore it out today and found a nice small tear in the C4 apply piston. One thing I noticed was both the C3 and C4 lip seals of the apply pistons are rock hard. You can't hardly push them down to compress them. I wouldn't expect to see rubber this hard on a 3 year old apply piston. And then there was the unexpected damage to find, my C2 clutches are FRIED! The colonel couldn't make chicken as crispy as my C2's are. A couple of them don't even have friction material left. I did not expect to see that with an ALTO pack with 7 frictions and a wave plate. I'm only pushing about 400 to the wheels to. And it was shifting great on the 3-4 just yeaterday.

Did you measure C2 clearance before you took it apart? Could the wave plate have flattened out or something like that?

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
I came out with the wave plate in '04 to help save the C2 hub from twisting the splines due to bad tuning. Guys were cutting back defuel to get a firm shift back then.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
Did you measure C2 clearance before you took it apart? Could the wave plate have flattened out or something like that?

I had close to .250 clearance when I opened the C2's, they were FRIED!A couple were down to the metal, no friction left. The pack was right at .080 when it went togetehr with no wave plate but a thin steel in it's place. I took the thin steel out and put the wave plate back in. The wave plate actually still had some left in it, but not much.

And I ran it for the 1st 25K miles with 7 altos and 7 stock steels and was not happy with how it shifted. They still look now as I have them out in the shop. I bought the new pack with a wave trying to smooth out my 3-4 shift some over the previous 7 altos with no wave plate.