Head Gaskets

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
Last time the Mahle wave stoppers were the preferred HG, when I did my LMM. Now I'm ordering for my LB7 with Fleece cupless heads... Mahle again or GM "C"'s? Thanks :)

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
Just saw this - A Pop up on the head order shows Fleece recommends GM.

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
That's what I ran at similar levels in my LMM. I just talked to Mark and he confirms as well. Thanks!

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
I wouldn't touch a GM gold gasket. They do NOT hold up anywhere near like the Mahle gaskets. All Mahle Duramax head gaskets are built using the "wave stopper" technology. The grade C PNs are 54582/54585 for standard bore (like up to 0.040"), over that they have the 54597/54598 which is a larger bore same thickness.

Reactions: N2BRK

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
Victor Reinz were actually the ones who coined "wave stopper". Mahle uses the term "combustion load limiter". This was touched on recently in another thread
Correct, but sense I was the A-Hole that brought it up last time, I figured I would let it rest. 🤣

I am curious if any on has used the Victor Reinz Wave stoppers. Was hopping to find some current feedback on them.

I know Mahle is a good product, I use them on other stuff as well.

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
Correct, but sense I was the A-Hole that brought it up last time, I figured I would let it rest. 🤣
Shows how good my memory is, totally forgot that was you. Doesn't bother me at all, I learned something new as well.

Mahle owns Dana I think, not sure how that plays into things. Honestly wouldn't surprise me if Mahle outsourced their head gasket manufacturing to Victor

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
Shows how good my memory is, totally forgot that was you. Doesn't bother me at all, I learned something new as well.

Mahle owns Dana I think, not sure how that plays into things. Honestly wouldn't surprise me if Mahle outsourced their head gasket manufacturing to Victor
HAHA!!! Well since you brought it up... Here was thread about that. Not that we can change the industry or how people list stuff but at least we can use the correct terminology on this site regarding their respective products. https://www.duramaxdiesels.com/forum/threads/gasket-opinions.89809/

Mahle = Combustion Load Limiter
Dana = Wave Stopper - https://victorreinz.us/products/wave-stopper

DANA had a US patent on the Wave Stopper technology at one time. US20120175847A1

Dana owns Victor Reinz, Spicer, Tru-Cool, and a few other brands https://www.dana.com/markets/aftermarket/

Mahle group owns 7 companies. MAHLE Original, Clevite, Behr, Knecht, Metal Leve, Izumi, and BRAIN BEE https://www.mahle.com/en/products-and-services/aftermarket/

Reactions: PureHybrid

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I swear I heard that the Mahle head gaskets where made by Federal Mogul by a long time Federal Mogul employee. But Federal Mogul got bought out so I don't know if that still holds true

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
Where does it say they own them? Sounds like they are using Victor Reinz as the supplier rather than creating something on there own. This often happens.

"MAHLE Clevite Inc. a leading supplier of Victor Reinz® automotive engine gaskets for the aftermarket, introduces new multi-layer steel (MLS) head gaskets featuring advanced Wave-Stopper™ technology for Ford Modular engines. "

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
The ownership was insinuated in a lot of articles, but maybe this sums it up best; rights but not ownership:

Dana To Directly Sell Victor Reinz Gaskets To Aftermarket Network In North America​

For the past decade, MAHLE Aftermarket has held the rights to distribute these gaskets under the Victor Reinz name in North America. Victor Reinz sealing products, engineered and manufactured by Dana, or to Dana specification, are distributed by Dana in all other global aftermarkets.​

https://www.aftermarketnews.com/dan...ecade, MAHLE,in all other global aftermarkets.

And yet some articles really make them sound like they own VR: MAHLE Aftermarket is one of the biggest sponsors here at BangShift.com, and we don’t mean based on how much they spend with us. We mean the size of the company. MAHLE is one of the largest automotive systems providers in the world. In normal speak that means they provide more parts, pieces, and components for the cars you know and love than almost anyone in the world. Do you like all the latest and greatest that GM has to offer? Well all the hipo stuff coming out of Chevrolet these days features MAHLE pistons and rings. Same for Mopar and Ford! And Clevite bearings? Yep, that’s them too. Victor-Reinz Gaskets? Them again. They make anything and everything you can image for internal combustion engines and are the largest manufacturer of piston rings on the planet. Period.

https://bangshift.com/general-news/...ow-mahle-clevite-and-victor-reinz-came-to-be/

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
The ownership was insinuated in a lot of articles, but maybe this sums it up best; rights but not ownership:

Dana To Directly Sell Victor Reinz Gaskets To Aftermarket Network In North America​

For the past decade, MAHLE Aftermarket has held the rights to distribute these gaskets under the Victor Reinz name in North America. Victor Reinz sealing products, engineered and manufactured by Dana, or to Dana specification, are distributed by Dana in all other global aftermarkets.​

https://www.aftermarketnews.com/dana-to-directly-sell-victor-reinz-gaskets-to-aftermarket-network-in-north-america/#:~:text=For the past decade, MAHLE,in all other global aftermarkets.

And yet some articles really make them sound like they own VR: MAHLE Aftermarket is one of the biggest sponsors here at BangShift.com, and we don’t mean based on how much they spend with us. We mean the size of the company. MAHLE is one of the largest automotive systems providers in the world. In normal speak that means they provide more parts, pieces, and components for the cars you know and love than almost anyone in the world. Do you like all the latest and greatest that GM has to offer? Well all the hipo stuff coming out of Chevrolet these days features MAHLE pistons and rings. Same for Mopar and Ford! And Clevite bearings? Yep, that’s them too. Victor-Reinz Gaskets? Them again. They make anything and everything you can image for internal combustion engines and are the largest manufacturer of piston rings on the planet. Period.

https://bangshift.com/general-news/...ow-mahle-clevite-and-victor-reinz-came-to-be/
Correct. They had rights to distribute.

As far as I can tell both companies are still independent per there own websites. Best I can tell Dana corporation as whole is owned by one of those global investment firms and Mahle Group is completely separate from that.

But its not uncommon for 1 company to manufacture a part for the other.

Same thing with the electronic components like sensors.

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
Mahle is still on B/O for one side on the C's. Fingers crossed that it might be in stock soon. I'll know next week.

chevymec

Aug 8, 2020
Mahle is still on B/O for one side on the C's. Fingers crossed that it might be in stock soon. I'll know next week.
I received my RH Mahle grade C last month after being on B/O for 4 months. I found another on Ebay and purchased it just if I never got the 1st one I ordered. Looks like they are slowing coming in.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I’ve been getting the Mahles pretty easy lately from my parts houses we use. C’s aren’t an issue. A’s and B’s are a little tougher

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
Thanks, I managed to get what I needed. Not the easiest find! Hopefully it's a temporary issue.