Gasket opinions

mamu

Mar 14, 2010
arkansas
Looking to put a motor together for my lly. Having trouble finding a mahle set for it. I can buy all the Fel-Pro gaskets i want but i have reservations about them. Never used them before so I'm not sure i want to start now. Anyone had any good or bad luck with them?

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Fel-Pro is fine for their gasket kits.

For the actual head gaskets I would still ONLY use Mahle. Cometic has been pretty damn solid on other engine platforms but I don't have enough first hand experience to say "yeah they're great head gaskets for the Duramax platform".

GM gold suck.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Look up the part numbers for the top end kits in the Mahle catalog and order through Summit
They don't have anything Mahle stock.

Head Set (04.5-07): HS54580A, zero stock at the USA's largest distributors (including Summit)
Right HG (C, wave stopper): 54582, zero stock at the USA's largest distributors (including Summit)
Left HG (C, wave stopper): 54585, quite a few in stock (dozen +)

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
And? Never had trouble with Summit when the order is MFG direct
Every WD states its a 30-60 day wait time I doubt the OP would see it quickly. This is coming from WDs like Turn14, Premier, Meyer, XDP, Thoroughbred, ATech (Summit), etc. I sent an email to my Mahle rep and he's stating around 40 days for those PNs above.

I have 20 sets of gaskets, 5x LB7, 10x 04.5-10, and 5x 11-16 Mahle kits on order across various WDs all of which report the same. Mahle is behind and can't fill orders.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I have 20 sets of gaskets, 5x LB7, 10x 04.5-10, and 5x 11-16 Mahle kits on order across various WDs all of which report the same. Mahle is behind and can't fill orders.
I was under the impression that those gaskets were all the same not counting thickness for each of the generations listed. Is this not the case?

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
I was under the impression that those gaskets were all the same not counting thickness for each of the generations listed. Is this not the case?
The “head gasket kits” contain every seal needed to do the job except the HGs themselves.

So an LB7 takes different gaskets for the ancillary components than an 04.5-10 truck which is again different than 11-16.

The HGs themselves are interchangeable 01-16 and the only selectable option is thickness.

Reactions: 2004LB7

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
The “head gasket kits” contain every seal needed to do the job except the HGs themselves.

So an LB7 takes different gaskets for the ancillary components than an 04.5-10 truck which is again different than 11-16.

The HGs themselves are interchangeable 01-16 and the only selectable option is thickness.
Ah, thanks. Missed the "kit" part

Reactions: Bdsankey

mamumtsllc

Sep 4, 2014
I had my parts guy at gm order a pair of gaskets. Said acouple days to get them. Are they not a good option? I'm not really on a time crunch but I would like to have it together by spring. Truck has been down a year and I've been jumping from truck to truck this year and I'm tired of it. So im ready to get it back together.

My local napa had the fel-pro in stock for some reason. Just thought I'd ask before I dove off in it and ended up doing this again in a few months.

Thanks for the replies guys!

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
I had my parts guy at gm order a pair of gaskets. Said acouple days to get them. Are they not a good option? I'm not really on a time crunch but I would like to have it together by spring. Truck has been down a year and I've been jumping from truck to truck this year and I'm tired of it. So im ready to get it back together.

My local napa had the fel-pro in stock for some reason. Just thought I'd ask before I dove off in it and ended up doing this again in a few months.

Thanks for the replies guys!

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
The GM gaskets are terrible IMO. They are far more failure prone than the Mahle wavestopper gasket.

If you're not in a rush (IE trying to get it together in a few weeks) I would absolutely return the GM gasket.

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
They don't have anything Mahle stock.

Head Set (04.5-07): HS54580A, zero stock at the USA's largest distributors (including Summit)
Right HG (C, wave stopper): 54582, zero stock at the USA's largest distributors (including Summit)
Left HG (C, wave stopper): 54585, quite a few in stock (dozen +)
Do me a favor, Look back at my history around 2020. If those are C's, I still have both un- opened and I can send them back to you...

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
54597 & 54598 are mahle wavestopper part numbers for grade c. ?

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

Those are the PN for the overbore gaskets (106mm).

54582 and 54585 are the OEM bore gaskets grad c thickness, wave stopper tech.

I’ve used 54597/54598 many times without an issue on OEM bore engines. It’s what I use when I can’t get the other PNs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
No Disrespect to any one in this community because I know how this is going to come off. But since we hare on the topic of head gaskets, I would Like to discus or clarify something about the name Wave-Stopper in relation to Head gaskets and the Duramax.

From what I found, Mahle Does not make the "Wave-Stopper" head gasket. Dana Spicer under Victor Reinz does and they have a patent on the name. https://victorreinz.us/products/wave-stopper

Mahle / Cleveite is listed as an OEM with Enhancements from what I have found. Not to take away from Mahle as they make great products as well. I much prefer them on alot of things over the Felpro option.
On Rock Auto they list the Mahle head gaskets with a Combustion Load Limiter

I can only find 1 document from Mahle where the list a head gasket as having "A patented stopper design featuring concentric waves around the combustion chamber"

That being the Case, I see at least one diesel parts web site listing the Mahle as a "Wave-Stopper" head gasket.

So Why are people referring to the Mahle as the Wave-Stopper head gasket??? Only Asking about the name, not trying to get in a pissing contest over which gasket is better.

Attachments

• Mahle ga-3-311a-duramax.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 5

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
When you see stuff like this you just assume wave stopper is Mahle.
Screenshot_20231215-120346.jpg

But I didn't see anything on Mahle's site that actually said wave stopper

Reactions: 1FastBrick