head gasket issues after water pump replacement?

ecc_33

Aug 10, 2006
Amanda, Ohio
So often pondering ideas in my stupid head. Who on here has blown a head gasket shortly after a new water pump? I know this c5500 i just did blew one. I know Smokin D's son just blew one or more and it just had a water pump replaced? Then Ed just said the same happened to one of his trucks at work.....So how many have had head gasket failures after a water pump replacement?

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
I blew 1 rite after the w/p replacement and tommywaston just blew his bad and i know he just did a w/p a couple months ago.As odd as it sounds you may be on to something here

05smoker

I'm officially done!
Mar 30, 2007
Lebanon, OH
Our shop truck is an 05 with a 50 hp tune roughly and about 125k on it. Owners son so it gets driven like a rental. They put a pump on it and shortly after it started to show gasket symptoms. Both were blown.

Any possible way the pressure can push water out near the pump and that the pump was actually still good?

JDPlowboy

Feb 6, 2011
I put a water pump on a friends lb7, he brought it in thinking it had hg problems but we started with a w/p and that stopped his coolant leak, then a couple weeks later he brings it back saying I didn't do it right because it was leaking, so I pulled it in one night and as I was taking overflow cap off, it had so much pressure behind it the cap blew off on the last 1/4 turn of threads and hit the hood an blew coolant everywhere after sittin for 24 hours then running 2 min. I think your on to something

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=38.654495,-92.663936
2011 Ferd F-teenthousand

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vern

May 25, 2008
PA
Is it possible the head gasket was leaking, pressurizing the cooling system,and making the water pump leak?

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
It's an interesting idea, but I don't see how a water pump is going to knock out a head gasket. For the record, I've changed water pumps many times without the truck coming back later with a blown head gasket. If I was to guess, I would say that vern is on the right track. Early stages of a bad h/g causing old seals in the water pump to leak. Once a pump is replaced and is sealed up good, the pressure has no where to go.

edit: I did have a truck come in once for a water pump, and I found that it had bad head gaskets.

Last edited:

Skyhigh4by

Goin to Poochisloose
Apr 13, 2008
Powell River, BC
Waterpump was leaking didnt replace it because it mysteriously stopped then suddenly headgasket symptoms appeared. now I have a new waterpump still in box until I do gaskets.

TeaBagger2006

Im a Garrett Nut Swinger
May 11, 2008
Bis ND
My water pump leaks intermittently, leaks for a couple weeks and right when I'm going to replace it, it stops leaking. My radiator hose has never been hard nor do I have any soot in my coolant. I'm not even sure it's my water pump that's leaking, it is coming out right inder it though. It's been about 2 years now with this leak, but as I said it will leak for a couple weeks then stop for several months than leak a lil mo', just enough to piss me off. My damn trans line leak more:eek:

I'm at 160k reliable miles all original except t stats
good thing my truck ain't one of them head gasket poppin, lly's

Cornell

LBZ for life
Sep 11, 2006
Minnesota
^^^^ you just have screw drivers lodged n the turbo :p

weird.

my Dad replaced his bad waterpump and his HG's blew a week after.

happened this summer, 2005 lly.... 108k miles.

coolant just blows out the overflow as soon as he shuts the truck off till the system is empty.

Columbus450

Aug 24, 2017
Louisiana
Any body else have this happen after water pump swap?

I thinking these were all early headgasket failures, I know one way to tell is test for hydrocarbons in the cooling system for early signs if hg failures

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk