hazing or smoking at idle lose of oil out exhaust

Yngdmax92

Sep 26, 2013
ive been through this same exact scenario... head gasket job on a customers truck. got it running and same thing, cloud of smoke and burning oil. only visible at idle for cloud of smoke but would clear up. Come to find out, machine shop messed up the installation of the valve seals, how i diagnosed this was, run the truck and get it good and hot. then let it sit over night, pulled both manifolds and saw oil in the manifolds. pulled valve covers. took a good look at the valve seals. appears that they took a long socket and drove them on with a hammer. non the less..... changed the valve seals in the truck with heads on and i no longer use that machine shop... never been so mad in my life. hope this helps

edit... it made perfect sense to me after as well, cause the valve seats wont leak enough oil to visually see generally while its running, but when you let the truck sit, oil pools up in the manifold and thats where you get your start up smoke until it burns it completely out of the manifold again.

Reactions: LBZ and malkintent

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
ive been through this same exact scenario... head gasket job on a customers truck. got it running and same thing, cloud of smoke and burning oil. only visible at idle for cloud of smoke but would clear up. Come to find out, machine shop messed up the installation of the valve seals, how i diagnosed this was, run the truck and get it good and hot. then let it sit over night, pulled both manifolds and saw oil in the manifolds. pulled valve covers. took a good look at the valve seals. appears that they took a long socket and drove them on with a hammer. non the less..... changed the valve seals in the truck with heads on and i no longer use that machine shop... never been so mad in my life. hope this helps

edit... it made perfect sense to me after as well, cause the valve seats wont leak enough oil to visually see generally while its running, but when you let the truck sit, oil pools up in the manifold and thats where you get your start up smoke until it burns it completely out of the manifold again.
This is a very likely scenario also!

malkintent

Mar 27, 2022
This is a very likely scenario also!
so turns out you hit the nail on the head--so to speak turns out 7 of the 8 cylinder's valve seals were ripped in half! top part of the seal were all the way up the valve to the keepers, still not sure it could happen, bad batch of seals? they were oem gm seals!

Reactions: LBZ