hazing or smoking at idle lose of oil out exhaust

malkintent

Mar 27, 2022
so i 2015 and had head gasket go out 2 months ago 188k miles on it had it repaired and did a buch of other stuff to it while it was apart and now i have a couple of issues.

first heres what i had done

head gaskets replaced
head gone through valves done, new seals and 135lb springs
arp studs
egr delete
new down pie
cp4 to cp3 swap
new glow plugs
cold air intake
def delete new exhaust

things i had checked

pistons are good
cyl walls good

after truck was back together things i had checked

comp great
injector balance rates are great
no code runs awesome

then 1 week after rebuild started smoking blueish at idle when you give it gas big smoke till its running and clears out till you idle for 5 min or so.
also went through a gallon of oil in 1000 miles

took it back in and had it diagnosed as bad turbo, replaced it with a bd stage one

back together runs great but it went through another gallon in 1000 miles still smoking at idle.

plus i have what apears to be a fuel leak in the fuel return sys somewhere it looses fuel prime over night if i park it nose up hill but not nose down hill.

any thoughts on the smoking and oil pushing out the exhaust?

thanks

08lmm72mm

May 13, 2019
Saskatchewan, Canada
Well if it's running perfectly normal and the compression is good I'd say if you have pcv reroute done the line is either partially or fully kinked. I'd check that out.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Wet all the way to the tailpipe
Are you sure that new turbo of yours isn't the culprit? Is your oil drain line blocked/kinked at all where oil would backup in the drain and be pushed out the seals?

Any oil on the compressor side, like in the hot side charge pipe?

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Are you sure that new turbo of yours isn't the culprit? Is your oil drain line blocked/kinked at all where oil would backup in the drain and be pushed out the seals?

do those turbos require an oil restrictor? would it be possible to accidentally leave it out? looks like Garrett's tech info recommends one for oil pressure above 40-45 psi

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
do those turbos require an oil restrictor? would it be possible to accidentally leave it out? looks like Garrett's tech info recommends one for oil pressure above 40-45 psi
If he's using an OEM feed line he should be good to go. That said I don't recall the orifices on the aftermarket feedline kits being restricted at all as there is a restriction built into the turbo.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
What kind of driving are you doing over this 1000miles? Mixed highway/city? Towing? Sustained higher rpm?

malkintent

Mar 27, 2022

checked all pvc lines clear!

malkintent

Mar 27, 2022
so mechanic has checked the following

no blow by
no restricted or blocked lines, oil, pvc, drains, crank case,
perfect compression,
perfect leak down
ran it with out up pipes no visible oil out exhaust
rechecked injectors

he did notice oil leaking out #7 glow plug

the thing runs like a champ no other system but the idle cloud and using oil

only thing i can think of is a cracked head in the glow plug area!