LBZ: Grid heater. Ditch it or keep it?

metron

Sep 13, 2012
Buffalo, NY
Been looking at full egr deletes. I see All Season has one that retains the factory grid heater. I live up in the northeast. winter wind chills can get into the negative teens. So im curious if I can get away with out it all year or save a lil extra cash and but the one to have the option to throw it back in in the winter?

Last edited:

TLyons90

Apr 22, 2013
Greenville, SC
I would say if it is only getting down that low you shouldn't have to worry about it just might wanna keep your truck plugged in over night and let it warm up a little bit longer then normal!

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
its for cold-start emissions, not really necessary to actually help the engine start in the cold.

In other words, you might see a LITTLE more smoke upon cold start-up, but the engine will have no trouble starting in the cold.

04-05 LLY's dont even have an intake heater.

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
Deleted mine. Starts fine at -20°F. Well, makes a little bit more noise than usual but I think it would do that regardless at that temp lol.

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
what about the 01-04 LB7's? i know they have a heater coil or whatever its called im assuming its basically the same exact thing?

and is the wait to start light based on that heater element or something else?

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
what about the 01-04 LB7's? i know they have a heater coil or whatever its called im assuming its basically the same exact thing?

and is the wait to start light based on that heater element or something else?

Don't need it.take it out and get yourself a Cummins drain plug for a few bucks from the local auto parts store and free up a little flow.I ask for a 98 Cummins drain plug I know others fit but not sure if they ever changed the design or size.I think it's a 24 mm iirc.

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
Don't need it.take it out and get yourself a Cummins drain plug for a few bucks from the local auto parts store and free up a little flow.I ask for a 98 Cummins drain plug I know others fit but not sure if they ever changed the design or size.I think it's a 24 mm iirc.

oh ok right on, i didnt think it was as bad as the grid heater but i will have to check it out now.

so is the wait to start light based off the intake heater or the glow plugs? because the truck obviously starts fine waiting for the stupid light or not.

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
all wind chill means is it gets to ambient temp faster.. i have no problem not having mine
i'vs had more issues with bioblend diesel in the winter then the truck not starting due to temp

Last edited: