got a BIG problem.... p0090 won't go away

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
What were they clogged up with? Might want to make sure the source of that stuff is removed/remedied/repaired so it won't happen again. Just a thought. ;)

C-ya

1lowdiesel

<- wish i was there
Sep 18, 2008
In
yea we already purged all the lines through the filter housing, now the Airdog is on it as well so that should help.

i looked on industrial injections site for the direction on how to take it apart but didn't see anything, any other place to look?

1lowdiesel

<- wish i was there
Sep 18, 2008
In
ok cleaned the valves out last night put everything back together minus the belt, turned the key on and got the code, tried to clear it w/ a bully dog programmer and the light just flashes still then stays on. other thing is that is doesn't seem to be as loud anymore but it's still at 13k psi at idle.

do you think i need to get it cleared w/ an actual Tech II? WTF!

1lowdiesel

<- wish i was there
Sep 18, 2008
In
well i got the FP down, seems the fprv on the junction box was to tight causing the pressure to be too high, i loostened it up and it's fine now. BUT the cel won't go off, it's stuck in reduced power and the reg isn't getting any voltage when the key is turned on. i'm thinking it's the ecm not sending a signal to the reg, i got a repair sheet from GM on the 0090 code and "replace the ecm" was on there a few times after certain tests. so, off to the dealer it goes, if they don't warranty the thing, i told the guy to just buy a new pre-programmed ecm w/ DPF delete already done, or i would try and find a stock ECM for cheap and just have it reprogrammed.

so what do you guys think?

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
well i got the FP down, seems the fprv on the junction box was to tight causing the pressure to be too high, i loostened it up and it's fine now. BUT the cel won't go off, it's stuck in reduced power and the reg isn't getting any voltage when the key is turned on. i'm thinking it's the ecm not sending a signal to the reg, i got a repair sheet from GM on the 0090 code and "replace the ecm" was on there a few times after certain tests. so, off to the dealer it goes, if they don't warranty the thing, i told the guy to just buy a new pre-programmed ecm w/ DPF delete already done, or i would try and find a stock ECM for cheap and just have it reprogrammed.

so what do you guys think?
Sounds like more of a bandaid fix than anything. There is more than likely one thing wrong somewhere causing both the code and the high rail pressure. Fix one problem and I would be willing to guess you will fix the other as well. Did you say you plugged the ECM harness directly into stock CP3 and still had the code (unable to be cleared)? If so, I would think it is a shorted wire/bad connection somwhere, a bad FPR, or it could possibly be a bad ECM.

1lowdiesel

<- wish i was there
Sep 18, 2008
In
yup unplugged it and the pressure didn't change. but i'm also not getting any voltage to the reg. i swapped the reg w/ the one that came w/ the PPE and it didn't do a thing different. the wiring harness is completely fine though. now my dumbass move of the month i think was welding on the truck w/ the batts still hooked up and i'm betting the ecm caught the wrath, i know i know.:mad:

Dan@PPE

Diesel Enthusiast
Aug 8, 2006
So Cal.
The reason the fuel pressure went down when you loosened the PRV is.... You made a huge leak in the fuel system. Pull the small black rubber line off the junction block and I bet a bunch of fuel is going to pour out. Make sure you keep you finger over the rubber line to keep rest of the fuel going back to the tank.

My guess.... ECM

1lowdiesel

<- wish i was there
Sep 18, 2008
In
yea i'm guessing ECM as well.

it's at the stealer now. they called me yesterday and said "well we checked the computer and it has the newest flash in it, not sure what else we can do, it's also throwing egt codes" no $hit retard! why is the 0090 code staying on? i then told him i had the same tech sheets his guys did and i did all the tests on there and it's pointing towards the ECM not putting voltage to the reg.... "ok well we'll get on it tomorrow then". retards i swear.

Dan@PPE

Diesel Enthusiast
Aug 8, 2006
So Cal.
Stewie posted this in another thread...

DTC P0090
Diagnostic Instructions
• Perform the Diagnostic System Check - Vehicle prior to using this diagnostic procedure.

• Review Strategy Based Diagnosis for an overview of the diagnostic approach.

• Diagnostic Procedure Instructions provides an overview of each diagnostic category.

DTC Descriptor
DTC P0090: Fuel Pressure Regulator Control Circuit

Diagnostic Fault Information
Circuit
Short to Ground
High Resistance
Open
Short to Voltage
Signal Performance

Solenoid Supply Voltage
P0088, P0090
P0088
P0090
P0087, P0191
--

Solenoid Control
P0088, P0090
P0088
P0090
P0090
--

Circuit/System Description
High pressure fuel is regulated by the fuel rail pressure (FRP) regulator mounted on the fuel injection pump. The FRP regulator is controlled by the engine control module (ECM). The FRP regulator has a solenoid supply voltage circuit and solenoid control circuit. The ECM monitors the current on the circuits to detect a failure.

Conditions for Running the DTC
• The ignition is ON.

• The commanded FRP regulator current is between 40-1,500 mA.

Conditions for Setting the DTC
The FRP regulator circuit current is not between 40-1,600 mA.

Action Taken When the DTC Sets
• DTC P0090 is a Type A DTC.

• The ECM commands the engine to operate in the Reduced Engine Power mode.

• The message center displays Reduced Engine Power.

Conditions for Clearing the DTC
DTC P0090 is a Type A DTC.

Diagnostic Aids
• There are no driveability concerns associated with the FRP regulator unless a DTC is present. The most likely cause of this DTC is a sticking FRP regulator.

• If the fuel system pressure is actually too high, a fuel knock condition will exist.

• If the fuse that supplies voltage to terminal C1-76 of the ECM is open, this DTC will set.

Reference Information
Schematic Reference
Engine Controls Schematics

Connector End View Reference

• Engine Control Module Connector End Views

• Engine Controls Connector End Views

Electrical Information Reference

• Circuit Testing

• Connector Repairs

• Testing for Intermittent Conditions and Poor Connections

• Wiring Repairs

DTC Type Reference
Powertrain Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) Type Definitions

Scan Tool Reference

• Scan Tool Data List

• Scan Tool Data Definitions

• Scan Tool Output Controls

Special Tools Required

• CH-48027 Digital Pressure Gage

• J 35616-200 Test Light Probe Kit

Circuit/System Verification
Turn ON the ignition and observe that the Desired FRP Regulator parameter and the FRP Regulator Command are at the same mA values. The FRP Regulator Command should be at 16 percent.
The fuel pressure difference between the Actual Fuel Rail Pressure and the Desired Fuel Rail Pressure should be less than 5 MPa.
Operate the vehicle within the Conditions for Running the DTC. You may also operate the vehicle within the conditions that you observed from the Freeze Frame/Failure Records data.
Circuit/System Testing
Important: Failure to allow the ECM communications to completely terminate with the scan tool may result in misdiagnosis.

If DTC U0105, is also set, refer to Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List - Vehicle .

Turn OFF the ignition for until the ECM is powered down.
Disconnect the FRP regulator in-line connector.
Probe the solenoid control circuit terminal 2 with a test lamp connected to ground. The test lamp should not illuminate.
Important: A solenoid control circuit that is shorted to voltage will illuminate the test lamp on both the supply voltage circuit and the solenoid control circuit.

⇒ If the test lamp illuminates , test the solenoid control circuit for a short to voltage. If the circuit tests normal, replace the ECM.

Turn ON the ignition.
Connect the test lamp between the solenoid supply voltage circuit, terminal 1 and a ground. The test lamp should illuminate.
⇒ If the test lamp did not illuminate, test the solenoid supply voltage circuit for an open or short to ground. If the circuit tests normal, replace the ECM.

Connect the test lamp between the solenoid supply voltage circuit, terminal 1 and the solenoid control circuit, terminal 2. The test lamp should illuminate.
⇒ If the test lamp did not illuminate, test the solenoid control circuit for an open. If the circuit tests normal, replace the ECM.

Test the harness between the inline connector and the FRP regulator for an open or short to voltage. If the circuits tests normal, replace the FRP regulator.
Repair Instructions
Important: During code clearing, the ECM must be powered down. Power down is achieved by turning off the ignition key and waiting for loss of communication, indicating power down. The time to power down may vary from vehicle to vehicle. After power down is achieved, turn the ignition key to the ON position and clear the trouble code using the scan tool clear code function and power down ECM. Repeat power down if the trouble code does not clear on first attempt.

Perform the Diagnostic Repair Verification after completing the diagnostic procedure.

• Control Module References

• Fuel Pressure Regulator Replacement

1lowdiesel

<- wish i was there
Sep 18, 2008
In
lol i have the same print out, thanks though b/c i don't have it w/ me.

i just got off the phone w/ the dealer, i stopped by there after work yesterday and explained how the kit works and how it's all direct plug in using factors GM plugs and how the pump is a stock brand new LMM CP3. i also explained how it doesn't add pressure it just keeps a constant pressure on both rails. and mind you i explained this all to the tech who was working on the truck. they tell me this morning that they tried everything they could and can't figure out the problem b/c of the other parts on the truck, BS. i told him that it's impossible for him to have done all the test and found that everything is fine or that the other parts are inhibiting him from testing it properly. they told me that the tech sent something to GM saying that parts were reloacted and removed and he couldn't figure the issue out b/c of that. god damn i can't wait to go over there today.

1lowdiesel

<- wish i was there
Sep 18, 2008
In
holy crap just talked to the dealer. they are saying that they can't diagnose the problem b/c of the aftermarket parts, i am sofa king pissed. i went there yesterday and explained everything to him and even told him to call me if he had any questions about anything. then they pull this shit.:mad::mad:

1lowdiesel

<- wish i was there
Sep 18, 2008
In
don't know yet, gotta see what they put in the GM file, i have a buddy that works at a service dept in north jersey i just don't wanna have to bring the truck all the way up there. i'm gonna give them an ear full tonight though. they're used to dealing w/ "joe consumer" not someone who knows what they are talking about. hell i'll bypass the 2nd cp3 in 2 min and then tell them to look at it and see what they say.

oh and i feel really sorry for anyone that has every had to talk to the asshats they have working at the GM cust service center.

slowlmm

Mar 2, 2008
so cal
don't know yet, gotta see what they put in the GM file, i have a buddy that works at a service dept in north jersey i just don't wanna have to bring the truck all the way up there. i'm gonna give them an ear full tonight though. they're used to dealing w/ "joe consumer" not someone who knows what they are talking about. hell i'll bypass the 2nd cp3 in 2 min and then tell them to look at it and see what they say.

oh and i feel really sorry for anyone that has every had to talk to the asshats they have working at the GM cust service center.

Althoe tht sucks you cant get mad at them becuse u have a dual cp3 setup on your truck thts not factory and they no nothing about it sorry to say. put it back to stock then take it in i would never take my truck to the dealer unless i new the tec personally or he feels comfortable working on a modded truck . jmo thoe. hope you get it fixed. seee if you can find someone else with a lmm a switch ecm for 5 mins and see if it fixes your issue.

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo

Leave vin # in the Vin check area and I will post a vin check I bet they void the warranty on the truck for aftermarket parts.