Glow plug question

Duroman

Jan 14, 2015
The last few years I had my service engine light on all the time. I checked the code and it said the glow plugs aren't working. The truck always starts even in 20 degree weather.So I never worried about them. Tonight I went to a few places to shop and the last place I started the truck and the light was off. Maybe me but it felt like it had so much power than normal. Could the glow plugs have that much control over how my engine runs. If it does then I need to fix my plugs.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
They shouldn't run for more then a few seconds. And maybe a little bit afterwards. But once there is a little bit of heat in the engine they are always off

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
The last few years I had my service engine light on all the time. I checked the code and it said the glow plugs aren't working. The truck always starts even in 20 degree weather.So I never worried about them. Tonight I went to a few places to shop and the last place I started the truck and the light was off. Maybe me but it felt like it had so much power than normal. Could the glow plugs have that much control over how my engine runs. If it does then I need to fix my plugs.at

At least for the 01-10 trucks.. glow plugs and intake air heater..have two conditions that control them.. engine coolant temp and air temp. Pending those temp, depicts how long they're on before starting and how long the stay on after started.

Generally they don't effect a warm engine's performance

Duroman

Jan 14, 2015
At least for the 01-10 trucks.. glow plugs and intake air heater..have two conditions that control them.. engine coolant temp and air temp. Pending those temp, depicts how long they're on before starting and how long the stay on after started.

Generally they don't effect a warm engine's performance
I think you misunderstood what I was asking. My glow plugs set a code saying they are not working. Last night I left work and the light was on. Stopped at a store for a few minutes and when I left light was on.Stopped to fuel up and when I left light was off. Truck with light off seemed to run better and have lots of power. I am wondering with the truck not showing a glow plug issue if it effects the way the truck runs? So now I am wondering if I need to fix the glow plugs so they work and truck will run better I know after so may starts the light and code go away.

Ron Nielson

Oct 11, 2009
Berryton, KS
I think Malibu795 gave you the correct answer. See the attachment. Maybe there's more going on than just a glow plug problem if your truck isn't running well.

Attachments

• Glow Plug System Description.pdf
    308.1 KB · Views: 4