Gas Tuning

dmaxfireman

'Can do' kind of guy
Apr 8, 2007
CT
OK, so duramax tuning is a breeze compared to the gas tuning on LS motors. Anybody here well versed in what sort of parameters and limitations I should start playing around with in a 5.3L tune? Been looking into getting a wideband and dialing in the VE (found a tutorial) but not sure if its worth it on a stock truck or how accurate the factory tuning is or if there are other areas I should worry about first.

Considered calling Black bear to get a tune but have not payed for a tune yet and would prefer to learn how to do it myself rather than pay for somebody to do it for me. Finding forums like ours that will actually walk you through how to start and what each change does are very hard to find for the gassers.

DBUSHLB7

Team DMAX
Mar 9, 2012
Albuquerque, NM
I'm interested in this as well. Been wanting a better tune for MPG for my wife's 09 Tahoe with the 5.3 as well. Blackbear is the tuner of choice I hear and after calling them I was a little disappointed to hear they could only promise 1 mpg improvement with their tune. Didn't think it was with the money myself but if there is other info I'm all ears!

dmaxfireman

'Can do' kind of guy
Apr 8, 2007
CT
Not terribly concerned with MPG, I can handle disabling the AFD / DOD on my own but I am more worried about how accurate the volumetric efficiancy is when tuned by the factory and whether it is worth it to mess with it.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
From what I understand, the OEM set A/F at around 11.5-12:1 for safety sakes at WOT. You can safely go up to around 13.5: without many adverse effects and gain some power there. Many copy in the high octane timing tables to the low octane tables and let the knock sensor keep it under control for knock. There are gains to be had, but I also haven't played in it. I just sent somebody to blackbear for a tune for his truck as it was to heavily modified for me to delve into, and just charged him for dialing it in and flashing it for him so he didn't have to send the ECM back and forth.

GeneralTJI

Turbo Todd
Jun 1, 2010
Colorado
As mentioned.. they run them rich generally... and usually you can add a little timing safely.
Also look at trans tuning if it's an auto, there are some things in there that can be tweaked

You need a wideband if you are going to tune VE tables, honestly it's needed to tune A/F properly period. Sounds like you were already thinking this anyway, just wanted to confirm. You can get an AEM wideband for $150 or less... is it worth it on a stock truck... questionable, but if you plan on doing any other upgrades, even little stuff, you will then be able to tune and take full advantage of those mods.

TROJAN366

Gold Rush
Jan 13, 2012
MASS
I had my truck tuned for 93 octane by slohawk in Bridgewater MA. I noticed a bit better mileage maybe 1 mpg or so. Power was way up though. It was an extended cab short bed 4wd with 4.10s. You could jump on it downshift and blow the tires off at will.

dmaxfireman

'Can do' kind of guy
Apr 8, 2007
CT
From what I have read (may be way off) the 6l80e is not very friendly compared to the 4l60e and 4l80e once you start messing with it. Like I said duramax, allison, no problem. This stuff is a whole new ball game for me and like learning chinese instead of spanish.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
From what I understand, the OEM set A/F at around 11.5-12:1 for safety sakes at WOT. You can safely go up to around 13.5: without many adverse effects and gain some power there. Many copy in the high octane timing tables to the low octane tables and let the knock sensor keep it under control for knock. There are gains to be had, but I also haven't played in it. I just sent somebody to blackbear for a tune for his truck as it was to heavily modified for me to delve into, and just charged him for dialing it in and flashing it for him so he didn't have to send the ECM back and forth.

yeah the first and last time i tried tuning a gasser was the little HHR rental i had. Steve shot me a better tune than i could come up with lol. that little 2.2 ecotec did not like any more timing than stock though when ran on 87. knock sensor would kick in as soon as i got over 2000rpm. it was also 110* outside too so that really didnt help. Only thing i did myself was kill torque managment and mess with shift points. its amazing how much better the thing pulled just by upping the shift points 500rpm. For some reason i couldnt get it to go over 7000rpm though, i think it was floating valves :roflmao:

i really wished it was a flex fuel HHR, that would have been more fun/power to build a tune on.

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
Blackbear did my Colorado tune. Gained 20 rwhp on 91. Havent dyno'd it since after I put the 4.10's in, it had 3.23's in it before. I can go WOT 2-1 downshift at 45mph and get it sideways still around 60. Hauls the mail for a inline 5 :D Also tuned the 4l60. No torque management, 6500rpm shifts, and bumped line pressure. Has ran 14.7 @ 96.

TDFDiesel

I'm That Guy
Jan 6, 2011
Mesa, AZ
Blackbear did my Colorado tune. Gained 20 rwhp on 91. Havent dyno'd it since after I put the 4.10's in, it had 3.23's in it before. I can go WOT 2-1 downshift at 45mph and get it sideways still around 60. Hauls the mail for a inline 5 :D Also tuned the 4l60. No torque management, 6500rpm shifts, and bumped line pressure. Has ran 14.7 @ 96.

Hmm.....:hello:

I've been doing a lot of reading on tuning a 5.3 as well and it can be done, just takes a lot. Also you need to be careful of detonation as that will kill it quick.

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
From what ive seen on the colorado's, I run the high octane timing table, then based on knock (which ive never heard except once) it will pull timing from the low octane tables. As long as I have 89 octane in it, the knock sensors dont pick up anything. 87 they do, but my tune in the truck is like a stock dmax then tuned with a superchip on tow... nothing special.

Im currently tossing aorund the idea of a V8 gen III LS swap.

ltr450ryder

Jul 12, 2012
racine WI
when i some what tuned my dads truck i copied and paste the high octane over the low octane and got rid of the phantom knock stuff too

kmax05

Jun 15, 2008
OK, so duramax tuning is a breeze compared to the gas tuning on LS motors. Anybody here well versed in what sort of parameters and limitations I should start playing around with in a 5.3L tune? Been looking into getting a wideband and dialing in the VE (found a tutorial) but not sure if its worth it on a stock truck or how accurate the factory tuning is or if there are other areas I should worry about first.

Considered calling Black bear to get a tune but have not payed for a tune yet and would prefer to learn how to do it myself rather than pay for somebody to do it for me. Finding forums like ours that will actually walk you through how to start and what each change does are very hard to find for the gassers.

Give don @ slowhawk performance up in mass a call, he will get you going in the right direction. He did my Z06 and a cpl 5.3 and 6.2's :thumb: