Gale Banks reacts to Hoonigan 1000hp build

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
I remember reading cover too cover Super Chevy, Chevy HiPerformance, 4Wheeler, 4Wheel&Offroad and HotRod and thinking I want want one of those one day. It is just the same in the information age. Sell advertising get money, you do this by putting out outlandish builds.

I have never bought any product from Guy or Gale. I believe Gale is more wrong for attacking an incomplete project. Guy is wrong for putting out a project that is beneath him. Both of them are trying to make money in their own way.

Of course this is out of reach of the majority of diesel enthusiast, but this is why we do it. I love it and hate at the same time. Even if I had 1 Billion dollars, there will always be somebody out there more knowledge making less money that can out race me. That is the whole point of this "feud".

It all boils down too: If they make a good product buy it, if not don't

Or you could cry about on Bookface.

Not a personal attack just my $.02

Guy was there to start the motor dumbshit. It would never have run without his help.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
From a business stand point Guy is involved, and he chose to be. This is what comes from social media. Put out a good product and and he will win. From what I have read he has no problem.

Incase you haven’t noticed SoCal Diesel does put out AMAZING products. You might want to read post #34 in this thread before you comment again. Guy clearly stated it is not his project and was only consulted to simply get things to run. It is not Guys engine, it is not Guys turbo setup, it is not Guys tuning etc.

Trimox

Aug 31, 2017
Guy was there to start the motor dumbshit. It would never have run without his help.

I respect your knowledge Mike. Please look at what I wrote.

I have never bought any product from Guy or Gale. I believe Gale is more wrong for attacking an incomplete project. Guy is wrong for putting out a project that is beneath him. Both of them are trying to make money in their own way.

So might should have said "joining a project that was beneath him"

Guy does great work and I would send my motor to him if I had the money.

Social media is all about pissing someone off which is not what I was trying to do.

Trimox

Aug 31, 2017
Incase you haven’t noticed SoCal Diesel does put out AMAZING products. You might want to read post #34 in this thread before you comment again. Guy clearly stated it is not his project and was only consulted to simply get things to run. It is not Guys engine, it is not Guys turbo setup, it is not Guys tuning etc.

I read post #34 when it was posted and evidently you just want to jump me because that is how social media works.

I was trying to stick up for Guy but nobody wants to see that they just see attack.

From a business stand point Guy is involved, and he chose to be. This is what comes from social media. Put out a good product and and he will win. From what I have read he has no problem.

It all boils down too: If they make a good product buy it, if not don't

That is still what what is boils do to where did I say Guys products were bad?

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I read post #34 when it was posted and evidently you just want to jump me because that is how social media works.

I was trying to stick up for Guy but nobody wants to see that they just see attack.

That is still what what is boils do to where did I say Guys products were bad?

So tell me.... what did Guy do, build, put together that makes that video beneath him?

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
Just to clear up what I was trying to say in my earlier post, I fully understand that 6 hours of dyno and discussing was trimmed down to just a few minutes. I also understand that from the social media side of things hoonigan has to stay “cool” and cater to the masses. Most people think smoke is power. And I’m 100% sure what guy said about that was taken out of context but edited to make it sound as if that was fact. Which of course gale did jump on. I do agree that gale has done major pioneering in the diesel field. When I was 14 all I wanted was a cummins with a banks system because of all the hype I thought that was the best of the best. Again. All marketing. It’s thanks to everyone here that I’ve learned what little bit I actually do know about the diesel world. And as a lot of you know the things discussed here are generally the complete opposite of the masses on Facebook. Wasn’t trying to say that Guy was in the wrong here at all. Just pointing out the two factors I saw that gale did take shots at.

Also as far as double intercooling and korys comment I fully see how in theory that would be an excellent way to build more power more efficiently. Cooler air does exactly that and that’s what inter coolers are for in the first place. My gripe was that he made it sound like that’s something feasible to do in this build and any compound build. This camaro barely has room for one intercooler. Our trucks are the same. Don’t berate someone else’s work when even the products YOU SELL do not fall in line with your clickbait marketing scheme. Banks sells a single intercooler. If he comes out with a dual bolt on intercooler for a compound build, then he can talk his smack on this one.

The entire hoonigan build falls perfectly in line with what most people think are the highest top quality parts money can buy. Yeah some are some aren’t. But it falls into marketing. Most people google the parts they want to make more hp with. Whoever has paid the most marketing and has their products in the most places and at the top of the google listings will get that business. Which is a large portion of how the big name companies get a majority of their business even if their parts are sub par or there are better out there. What I got out of gale here is “wow these guys don’t know their butt from a hole in the wall I could have done better so everyone should buy my stuff instead”

Animals1234

Jun 8, 2017
Does Banks actually support their product? I remember a few years back a friend of mine had their banks tuner in his duramax and was constantly having issues with wiring from their products. I’d come over to help every so often. Eventually I got him to take off that massive wiring they include with their tuning and it was great after. Not sure how their customer support is now or product quality is since I don’t really see their name out in public anymore, just seen all over the internet

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
I can safely say no truck ive built or worked on has had anything from banks on it. Maybe im just different or all the trucks ive built were pieces of shit lol

Honestly I’m a huge fan of banks hard parts. Their intercoolers are kick ass and their iDash 1.8 datamonster imo is one of the best dataloggers that we have as an industry.

KyleC4

Tech
Dec 30, 2016
Bay Area
I have a question. Did Banks only mention intercooling the air between the two compressors because they are building for something to go 200mph? Is it cause a long WOT pull to reach 200mph?

Just trying to keep it technical here. Annoyed with the misunderstandings and misinterpretations

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
My biggest gripe was Gale made this video with no details or backstory. He ran Guy into the ground and it wasn't even one of his, he was just there because he is the efilive distributor, and came in to help get it started up. To me it sounds like it did pretty good for being a hodge podge slapped together.

I know the stuff Gale was saying wasn't all wrong, but he needs to come out of his dyno cell, and realize not every build can be optimized in every area. Some builds have to have compromises taken to make it fit. There can be growing pains in getting a build to where you want it. And from what I was reading, he might not want to throw rocks as some people who work for oshkosh are saying there's some pretty serious problems with his engines he supplied. Don't know it to be fact, but it's just as credible as his response to this build.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
I watched the Hoonigan vid and it looked pretty good for all things considered. They sure didn't edit it to make Guy look to good. Not everyone can pay Banks to do a build for them, and considering what they have into it and their experience. It made more power then Banks current killing the Dmax vid. I don't see him showing any footage of the exhaust of that thing doing a pull.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
It would be interesting to see videos of Banks' test firings of new engines. Betcha it looks very similar to the Hoonigan vid. But their marketing dept would never allow that. Gotta keep that squeeky clean image going....

Again, Banks does what Banks does strictly for their own benefit, period. They care very little for the diesel industry as a whole. Wouldnt surprise me one bit if it was found they had a hand in reporting all those diesel companies to the EPA, either.

RickDLance

Feb 14, 2007
Guy was just trying to help out.

As far as I could see there were NONE of his products on the engine.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
My biggest gripe was Gale made this video with no details or backstory. He ran Guy into the ground and it wasn't even one of his, he was just there because he is the efilive distributor, and came in to help get it started up. To me it sounds like it did pretty good for being a hodge podge slapped together.

I know the stuff Gale was saying wasn't all wrong, but he needs to come out of his dyno cell, and realize not every build can be optimized in every area. Some builds have to have compromises taken to make it fit. There can be growing pains in getting a build to where you want it. And from what I was reading, he might not want to throw rocks as some people who work for oshkosh are saying there's some pretty serious problems with his engines he supplied. Don't know it to be fact, but it's just as credible as his response to this build.

There are not major reliability/durability issues on the JLTV engines.

Yngdmax92

Sep 26, 2013
I don't really understand the gripe that Gale banks had with this whole scenario even if Guy did have a hand in it.. doesn't appear that he did on the engine, but he did have a hand in helping out a couple people make some hp on a engine.

All these big name cats came from the exact place the rest of us did. Throwing parts at something and turning it up rings a bell. Wether it be Gale banks, Kory , socal and many other large names in the industry.... They can't tell me they have not put something on a Dyno, a track or in someones back yard and turned the dial from mild to wild and seen what what things could do. Yup, that included tons of smoke, tons of leaks and tons of little critiques to perfect an engine. And they had far more then 6 hours into something with much less progress. Gale claiming he was making 912hp with a single on a completely stock l5p vs this ppe engine was a little ridiculous just cause of the fact of the amount of time he has invested in that engine, the tune and so on. I see absolutely nothing wrong with this video, just someone helping out someone else. Having fun, making some power and trying to help someone achieve some goals.