Gale Banks reacts to Hoonigan 1000hp build

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
Anybody else watch this? Thought it was very unprofessional of Gale to be talking about others like this. Looks to me like he has gotten high on his fame from his fakebook videos. Granted the engine had some issues and some obvious constraints because of what it's going into, but totally uncalled for IMHO.

https://youtu.be/TjumzxI-Kko

Last edited:

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
I personally think there is some room for improvement on what they had in the dyno cell but I also don't think Banks Power had to produce that video and take a stance/comment the way they did as I feel that was unprofessional. IMO all the suggestions Gale made will definitely pick up power but intercooling between the turbos is not really feasible in the car due to space constraints. Also, let's be honest, all of our builds have room for improvement somewhere or something we would have done differently. I do know I picked pretty big gains by making sure my air filter was properly sized for the airflow requirement I was trying to pull through it (which I personally don't think theirs is).

I would assume that SoCal/Hoonigan is using the stock ECM which Banks does not, they use their "Automind" ECU which allows them to run whatever sensors they want. The stock ECM cannot (to my knowledge) support a MAF reading over 500g/s (~66lb/min) which will limit their ability to do MAF based fueling above that airflow which Banks did not point out.

Last edited:

MAXX IT OUT

<<<IT WORKS
Mar 1, 2013
Des Moines, Iowa
I personally don't give Gale banks the time of day for his videos and quite watching them a long time ago, most of them are back patting session. After watching the hoonigan videos, I was impressed with how well they did for diesel newbies.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
:banging: this isnt how you bring the diesel community together... something he was striving for not too long ago

ikeG

Oughta Know Better
Apr 19, 2011
Western PA
www.facebook.com
It's been his mo to be a prikk last few years I've noticed. With the rear diff cover vids and 'killing a dmax' stuff. Hes taken shots at wagler too, over the monster jam truck. Whether he's right or wrong, hard to stomach his attitude and approach. Attention deprived poor old guy. If you follow Jeremy wagler on Facebook, it's good discussion about it right now

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
There is a past between gale and jeremy before jeremy's business even came about. Those two will never get along

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I usually enjoy Gale's videos, but that was pretty lame. He should stick to talking about his own builds instead of being a commentator on other people's videos. Everyone knows you sometimes have to make compromises on a build due to several factors, but Gale seems to forget that after doing a bunch of engine dyno builds instead of real vehicle builds. He also blatantly takes stuff out of context or ignores things in the video (he kept harping on the intercooler when there is a note that says they are running an old setup because they aren't finished welding the tanks on their new intercooler). This meme is pretty fitting for how I felt after Gale's video.

94a.jpg

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Maybe he’s just Salty they consulted every Diesel shop in Cali but skipped Banks? Although he made some valid points on the setup he definitely threw tact out the window:spit:

coker6365

Coker6303's ***** Daddy
Dec 4, 2011
I was certainly a little disappointed as it was not comparing apples to apples. Those videos are meant to target audiences that do not have the technical background or experience, therefore it will have comments that can certainly be worded differently. As far as the dyno setup, several constraints are in place and likely for a reason. That doesnt mean they are wrong to simply run what they have using the tools they have in front of them.

I mean, it's like watching Diesel Brothers and thinking they are technical guys. Catering to the audience is marketing 101.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Glad this is here now I won’t bother to watch it, but I will watch the dyno vid Gale was bad mouthing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk