Front axle limited slip

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I'm hoping maybe someone can help me out here because trying to get information from manufacturers and suppliers on this subject is almost impossible. I'm working on a truck that is a track only drag racing application, and I want to do something to help out traction in the front end a little. I know ARB makes a locker and Eaton used to make the E-locker, but I would prefer to not have this thing locked up solid for safety reasons. Detroit used to list the Truetrac 9.25 diff as working in our axle, but they no longer do and when I called couldn't tell me why. Nitro Gear makes a similar front diff that was originally listed as working for that application according to Dmax Store, but they say it doesn't fit and never was listed for that application. Does anyone why they claim to not fit or work, or can anyone tell me a diff that does fit and work? I don't mind doing some light modification to make it fit, but I want to get some idea about what I'm getting into before I buy parts and have to start taking measurements. I did a search and found some old threads that briefly discussed this topic, but there was no real useful information.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
The true track should drop in. the only issue i could see is the stub axle may not go in and pop the circlip out or may be too loose and let the axle slide back and forth? i cant see why the carriers are different between the two diffs but im going off memory.

they may have pulled it for the dmax because of it causing the driveshaft to constantly turn and create vibrations

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
The true track should drop in. the only issue i could see is the stub axle may not go in and pop the circlip out or may be too loose and let the axle slide back and forth? i cant see why the carriers are different between the two diffs but im going off memory.

they may have pulled it for the dmax because of it causing the driveshaft to constantly turn and create vibrations
I'm thinking the same thing, but the only answer I get from anyone is "it doesn't work." with little to no further explanation. I'm to the point now of buying one and taking some measurements and looking for the retaining clip groove myself (I considered that to be a possibility on why they claim it doesn't work). This is beyond frustrating.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I’d buy one and try it in your instance for damn sure.

Hell if I had a diff on hand, I’d try it just to do a write up on it for the site

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Josh, its my understanding that the 9.5 rear diff works in the 9.25 front. Ive got a 9.5 G80 out in the garage, brand new. You can have it if you want.

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Josh, its my understanding that the 9.5 rear diff works in the 9.25 front. Ive got a 9.5 G80 out in the garage, brand new. You can have it if you want.

hmmm. This would be a viable option for easy if it works well. I’d be curious on this.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
the only issue with the G80 up front is you must have tire slip for it to engage or be turning (differential speeds between each tire to cause lock up). putting it in the front on a drag setup means a front tire must slip/spin to lock the G80 and that shock isnt good to keep traction.

id also hate to see the governor latch try to stop the locker while its engaging at high speed, catch, blow apart and create the infamous "gov bomb" in the front end of a drag truck. At min, id delete that feature! lol

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I found the same info about the 9.5" rear taking the same carrier as the 9.25" front. I appreciate the offer, but if I was going to resort to being locked, I would try to get his elocker working or get a lunch box locker before I did a G80. Those things are ticking time bombs, and for the reasons James mentioned, probably not what I would want for a drag truck.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
I am definitely following for the future on my project. I have an e-locker at the moment in my street/drag truck, I wouldn't mind putting an LSD in it and putting the e-locker in my dd/tow rig.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Well, it was just an idea. I did not know that the smaller G80s would cause problems like that.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Well, it was just an idea. I did not know that the smaller G80s would cause problems like that.

It’s more just an issue due to being the front. Good idea none the less for another application in the front though!

kaylabryn

May 18, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Wouldnt the G80 cause the "herky jerky" if turning with some speed behind it? Be a rude awakening to whip it into a parking stall and bam it tries to lockup.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Wouldnt the G80 cause the "herky jerky" if turning with some speed behind it? Be a rude awakening to whip it into a parking stall and bam it tries to lockup.
The G80 needs to see something like 30 RPM difference between the two tires and less then 25 MPH to lock up. Unless you do a spring mod on it, it is unlikely to lock up while parking