Finding my drag truck

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
No, please dont do that. ^^^ It doesnt look right. You should be able to remove all the bracketry from the current bumper and reinstall on the new chrome metal bar. You can buy bumpers all day long online.

As for interior pieces, its all yard stuff, 1500 or 2500 the same. I did find the 01-02 "black/dark grey" interior pieces are just a slightly different color than the 03-up. Everything will fasten the same, though.

Last edited:

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I'm not familiar with all the laws of California when it comes to emissions and registration. Obviously an LB7 truck that was originally equipped with EGR and cat must still have the equipment in place and functional, but is it legal to bring a federal emissions truck into the state and register it? I assume when they were new, you weren't allowed to do that or they wouldn't have made different versions in the first place, but maybe it's ok to own and drive them in the state but not sell them?

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
No, please dont do that. ^^^ It doesnt look right. You should be able to remove all the bracketry from the current bumper and reinstall on the new chrome metal bar. You can buy bumpers all day long online.

As for interior pieces, its all yard stuff, 1500 or 2500 the same. I did find the 01-02 "black/dark grey" interior pieces are just a slightly different color than the 03-up. Everything will fasten the same, though.
No plans on making it look funky. Bit I do like the look of the GMC front end better and was thinking if I have to replace it all then could I swap over. Still kinda getting ahead of myself as I don't even have the truck yet

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I'm not familiar with all the laws of California when it comes to emissions and registration. Obviously an LB7 truck that was originally equipped with EGR and cat must still have the equipment in place and functional, but is it legal to bring a federal emissions truck into the state and register it? I assume when they were new, you weren't allowed to do that or they wouldn't have made different versions in the first place, but maybe it's ok to own and drive them in the state but not sell them?
As far as I know. There are no laws for individuals bringing their own vehicles in. I think they are only preventing dealerships and manufacturers from selling them here. When one brings a vehicle from out of state in, DMV doesn't care one bit what emissions compliance it is. They just want to know the vin matches the paperwork and weight of the vehicle. They will often have you bring the vehicle to one of the offices so they can match the numbers and make sure it's correct in their system. Then they want to see the printout from a dot certified scale so they can calculate the registration fees.

The only time it can get tricky is when you have to take it get your biannual smog. From the few I've talked too about it. The smog check guys tend to miss the fact it's a federal and either miss configure their computer or they wrongly assume it's missing the EGR/CAT. But once they have it right, and their computer tells them they don't check for those then they pass no problem

Here we have something like a five vehicles a year limit per a person or you need a dealer license. Then the restrictions kick in. Many shady mechanics and car flippers will not register the vehicle in their name to avoid this. But it creates additional problems because they are trying to sell you a vehicle in someone else's name and the signatures won't match up. DMV will flag these and it can be difficult to correct

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
I think it's only 3 cars a year and then you need a dealer license after that.

FYI, the Key is not to get flagged in there system. Make sure the person testing it corrects it before submitting it to the DMV. Once you get flagged, They start taking a closer look. They can end up sending you to a state ref for an inspection to clear it up. He will pull out his book and look at everything they info on including the operating system and the CVN's... They will look at everything visible and make sure its OE or OE replacement legal...

With the current way they do the OBD2 inspection, it records what is in the ECU at the time of the inspection...

Reactions: 2004LB7

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I think it's only 3 cars a year and then you need a dealer license after that.

FYI, the Key is not to get flagged in there system. Make sure the person testing it corrects it before submitting it to the DMV. Once you get flagged, They start taking a closer look. They can end up sending you to a state ref for an inspection to clear it up. He will pull out his book and look at everything they info on including the operating system and the CVN's... They will look at everything visible and make sure its OE or OE replacement legal...

With the current way they do the OBD2 inspection, it records what is in the ECU at the time of the inspection...

So, there is perhaps one way to get around the CVN check at the referee.

Per the BAR site: https://www.bar.ca.gov/industry/obd-test-reference

98 to 2005 federal diesel vehicles where not OBD2 compliant so the test would not check for CVN and instead would use the OIS inspection method. Basically just a visual

Here's the excerpt from the site. It repeats for GM too
Chevrolet1998-2005DIESEL C/K2500 & C/K3500 (including Silverado and Suburban), G30, G3500 (including Sport Van, Express Cut-Away & Cargo), P30Federal diesel vehicle over 8,500 GVWR is not OBD-II certified.Federal diesel vehicles over 8,500 GVWR were not built to comply with OBD-II or Fed OBD standards.Test normally.
BAR-OIS will ignore incomplete continuous monitors. If the vehicle fails to communicate, use the result of the bulb check for the overall result of the OBD Test if the analyzer offers this option.

So one could have an OBD port that just "doesn't work" so the inspector would default to the visual inspection.

There is also the possibility that the LB7 ECM doesn't even display or report the CVN per Ross with EfiLive: https://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?9508-CVN-s-Explained

"Many early controllers did not support CVN reporting, it really came to light after about 2006"

I don't remember when I had my previous LB7 if I was able to read the CVN. Someone here should be able to check that if they have the tools

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
All the LB7 OSes I use report CVNs accurately to the V2 and Tech2, but I only run 2003/2004 (late LB7) OSes. Though even then they sometimes just do weird things lol.

Glad I don't live in CA, but that does sound like something that could be worked around as you said, or with perhaps some clever programming of the ECU...

Sent from my FlashScan V2 using Tapatalk

darkness

Jul 15, 2009
vegas
My Kodiak (lly) is a federal emissions truck with tier one phase out emissions. From some of the reading I’ve done, if the EGR falls off it doesn’t set any codes. Which I guess falls in line with the smog place putting in the right info.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
My Kodiak (lly) is a federal emissions truck with tier one phase out emissions. From some of the reading I’ve done, if the EGR falls off it doesn’t set any codes. Which I guess falls in line with the smog place putting in the right info.
??? I thought tier 1 didn't have an EGR

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
Heck, Tier 2 phase-out didn't even mandate EGR. That's how we built my 2003 Suburban with a federal LB7 and got it through the CA referee.

But I think EGR was allowed, not mandatory, for both Tier 1 and Tier 2 phase-out. Hence why it could fall off and still pass ;)

Sent from my FlashScan V2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: 2004LB7