Finally putting a motor together for my truck...

bigmackmiller

Nov 30, 2008
Kokomo, IN
Hope not, lol! Grid heater and glow plugs should help keep it semi happy. Treat it like an old Ford and cycle the key a couple of times should be just fine.

Haha there ya go, I know exactly what you mean we have a older power stroke at work have to do that everytime it gets a little cold out

2006 LBZ

Feb 8, 2011
Calgary, Ab.
Hope not, lol! Grid heater and glow plugs should help keep it semi happy. Treat it like an old Ford and cycle the key a couple of times should be just fine.

Lmao, I was just doing this tonight.... currently -10c outside and a bit of a ice storm. I definately wish I had of left the grid heater in though!

jkholder09

Jan 8, 2012
Maryland
Hey Mark if you ever mag that crank that was in the engine when tc failed let us know. mine ended up cracked at number 1 main and i still have not determined root cause.

MarkBroviak

DMax Junkie
May 25, 2008
Danville Indiana
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update- I have put some miles on it today and had to completely revamp my tuning. It is truely a different animal. My base tune was originally 495hp on my stock motor and ran26-30psi boost/35psi drive. With the new motor and same tuning it hits 40psi boost/60-75psi drive and is violent to say the least. I dialed the vane tables back and pulled some fuel out of it and it calmed down to 30psi/35-40psi drive and is much happier. Feels like it is still well over 500hp on this tune and the exhaust note is definitely different and I love it!!! This bitch is mean!

Even at a much lower 15.5:1 compression ratio this thing fired right up this morning without missing a lick or smoking! My stock motor smoked more! I didn't even plug it in and it only rolled over twice on a fresh motor with 30degree air temp and fired right off. I'm beyond inpressed with it. Jon and I don't always see eye to eye on the compression ratios but I could have gone alittle lower without issues.

dracing70

SH--- GETTING EXPENSIVE!
Jun 12, 2007
mantua, oh
That's awesome that your finally getting to work on your own stuff. How r the wintèrs there?? If its like northern Ohio u better get some chains on that 2wd sled. Lol. It will be like driving a NASCAR in the snow. Lol

dmaxbowtie

Duramax fiend
Jun 2, 2011
RI
Curious to know why you went with a lower compression ratio and your comment about preferring a cast piston over forged?

X2 on the choice of compression ratio, I assume you went with cast over forged for better ring wear?

MarkBroviak

DMax Junkie
May 25, 2008
Danville Indiana
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaNM8fiKNPc&list=UUXn_OZIzpAd7YmbxZRIyaxA&index=1

Not the best quality video but I think it may help some with your questions. This is the smallest tune that I have had to detune twice to get it to calm down some. Regardless it is a blast and traction is always an issue for me even on the smallest tune. Hope you enjoy!:hug:

Last edited:

DURAMXD

BOB SAGET!
Apr 24, 2012
Wichita, KS
Not the best quality video but I think it may help some with your questions. This is the smallest tune that I have had to detune twice to get it to calm down some. Regardless it is a blast and traction is always an issue for me even on the smallest tune. Hope you enjoy!:hug:

Every time I see a video of your truck, it makes me want to swap a LLY top end on mine just to run your 72mm VGT. Love the truck.

jacobdewey

This won't last long...
Jan 14, 2011
It almost sounds like more of a v8 thump with those oval bowls. Excited to see how it does for longevity. Any mileage tests or is your foot still to heavy? :)

MarkBroviak

DMax Junkie
May 25, 2008
Danville Indiana
It almost sounds like more of a v8 thump with those oval bowls. Excited to see how it does for longevity. Any mileage tests or is your foot still to heavy? :)

Still to heavy, lol! Ohhhhh, I have a lead implant in it so im not the guy to ask about mileage with a truck like this...:D

16.5mpg is probably about the most I ever see!