Finally got the truck running, help

Leadfoot

Needs Bigger Tires!
Dec 27, 2006
Western MA
www.matpa.org
Here is a more recent video that he just sent me.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zn6e7_7MiaU

Definitely hear something that is not the usual sound. Considering it's on one side, could it be something as simple as a tiny exhaust leak? I know I chased a strange (and freaking annoying) noise on my gasser once and it ended up being a TINY leak at one of the exhaust ports where it met the stock manifold. Several "good" mechanics couldn't figure it out. Even with a gasket, it took having the mating surface machined flat to cure the leak.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
My initial thoughts when he sent me the video were an exhaust leak but we all know things don't come in 100% accurate over the phone.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
the sound comes across, it sounds like a leaking injector copper seal but the mic on the phone may be softening a metalic noise that you are hearing? not sure, either way, im not 100% sure we can lead you in the right direction.

id highly suggest getting a second set of very knowledgable ears on it to see first hand. whether its mark or heading to Tony's or someone else.

OleBlackyLBZ

May 22, 2020
the sound comes across, it sounds like a leaking injector copper seal but the mic on the phone may be softening a metalic noise that you are hearing? not sure, either way, im not 100% sure we can lead you in the right direction.

id highly suggest getting a second set of very knowledgable ears on it to see first hand. whether its mark or heading to Tony's or someone else.
I'm coming to the same conclusion, it's hard to tell in a video. Mark is much closer so I'll take it to him first.

OleBlackyLBZ

May 22, 2020
Got 1,000 miles on the engine now at 550ish hp been driving it pretty hard. I just changed the oil yesterday for the second time. No change in engine sound since fireup, going to be headed to Mark's soon to see what he can do. At this point I'm pretty much used to it being a little noisy....

aaro9991

Oct 1, 2019
Yeah I’d also like an update I’ve been watching this. Has it been running like a champ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OleBlackyLBZ

May 22, 2020
Guys, I'm sorry I didnt update this sooner. I was honestly so happy to have figured out the issue that I kinda forgot to let everyone know. So the first 3-4 oil changes were fairly close together like less than 1500 miles apart but getting lengthier as the engine got more miles on it. So I had finally let it go a couple thousand miles or so on an oil change and noticed it had quietened down some. So I changed it again finally and what do you know, it sounded rough as crap again soon as I fired it up with the fresh oil. So it was just simply typewriter tick louder than my other engine or what I was used to. About 3,000 miles into an oil change it purrs like a kitten again. It seems to be a very stout engine, I have 20,000 miles on it now of mostly racing and towing. 👍🏼