Finally got the truck running, help

ZeroGravity58

Mar 23, 2008
Maryland
Did you check all the glow plugs by chance? I had a truck making a hell of a knock and the glowplug was buggered up and not sealing in the head. It took me awhile to find as it was only on the driverside.

OleBlackyLBZ

May 22, 2020
Did you check all the glow plugs by chance? I had a truck making a hell of a knock and the glowplug was buggered up and not sealing in the head. It took me awhile to find as it was only on the driverside.
Thank you, I wouldn't have thought of that. Will check those out

Reactions: juddski88

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
was piston protrusion checked or did DHD give you headgaskets to run?

definitely hard to hear what the issue might be

OleBlackyLBZ

May 22, 2020
was piston protrusion checked or did DHD give you headgaskets to run?

definitely hard to hear what the issue might be
Evan told me to run C gaskets, so I got those from Brad Sankey. My mechanic said it will be next week before he has time to look in there with a borescope.

OleBlackyLBZ

May 22, 2020
Listen to one video and then the other and swap back and forth... they were taken in the same location and the passenger side is much much louder.

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
Yea I did... Passenger side sounds the same as driver's side, just louder volume wise.

Just go run the piss out of it. You'll find a problem if there is one

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
It sounds like a fuel noise to me as opposed to something in the bottom end.

Do you have a scan tool able to kill independent cylinders? That would be one good way to shut off each injector individually and see if the noise goes away.

OleBlackyLBZ

May 22, 2020

Do you have a scan tool able to kill independent cylinders? That would be one good way to shut off each injector individually and see if the noise goes away.
Good idea. He turned them off one at a time, no change in knocking sound. He thinks its a loose wrist pin.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Its louder on the one side for sure but I highly doubt it’s a wrist pin.

If you rev it up slightly does the sound get louder and speed up or go away or does anything change?

Do you hear a thumping in the exhaust if you put a stethoscope or long screwdriver against each exhaust port in the manifold?

OleBlackyLBZ

May 22, 2020
Its louder on the one side for sure but I highly doubt it’s a wrist pin.

If you rev it up slightly does the sound get louder and speed up or go away or does anything change?

Do you hear a thumping in the exhaust if you put a stethoscope or long screwdriver against each exhaust port in the manifold?
If you rev it slightly the noise does get faster but it also gets quieter or either u just cant hear it anymore over the engine noise, once you hit like 1200-1500ish rpms you cant hear it anymore. Havent tried the stethascope yet may give that a whirl

OleBlackyLBZ

May 22, 2020

He does have a tool and he did shut off each cylinder one at a time, didn't change the noise. So DHD told said they are running out of things for me to try, they said just run it and see what happens. So I started driving it lasnight, I have about 70 miles on it so far. Runs great, just noisy as crap! My friends (even the females that know nothing about engines) first thing they said when I pulled up, "why does your truck sound like that now?" lol. I know the video quality we posted wasn't the best but something is definitely not right. It's not just your typical high compression noisy lb7 pistons.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
i would suggest having someone that can sit in the truck and tune it, do so. if you can get the truck to mark, it would help. you may need pilot fuel and timing adjusted for the new engine. possibly just main timing and fueling. Generally that has to be done on Fingers pistons to quiet it down but yours may be sensitive to the new setup.

Reactions: juddski88

OleBlackyLBZ

May 22, 2020
i would suggest having someone that can sit in the truck and tune it, do so. if you can get the truck to mark, it would help. you may need pilot fuel and timing adjusted for the new engine. possibly just main timing and fueling. Generally that has to be done on Fingers pistons to quiet it down but yours may be sensitive to the new setup.
Thanks James, taking it to Mark had crossed my mind, probably will wait until the engine is broken in first. How much material should I see in the oil on a new engine?

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Thanks James, taking it to Mark had crossed my mind, probably will wait until the engine is broken in first. How much material should I see in the oil on a new engine?

very very little, if at all. depending on the engine assembly lube, it can give a false look to it. Oil filter is a better indication. expect some metalic looking stuff in there from ring break in but should hardly see much in the valleys of the pleets.

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
Why in the F would you keep driving this thing? Obviously something is NOT right. You are putting a lot of parts at risk. This Truck NEEDS to be towed to a reputable shop.

OleBlackyLBZ

May 22, 2020
Why in the F would you keep driving this thing? Obviously something is NOT right. You are putting a lot of parts at risk. This Truck NEEDS to be towed to a reputable shop.
O trust me it bothers me too, but dhd wants proof its the engine before they tear into it on their dime and I cant really blame them. On the other hand ive already paid for the short block and the labor to have all the parts swapped from my other shortblock to this new one. So im $10,000 in and, and Im out of funds that can go towards the truck. I cannot pay to have it all torn apart again right now, so the truck is either going to sit or im going to drive it like it is and dhd said drive it and if it breaks they will fix it. So here I am with about 175 miles on it so far...

Last edited: