extra ECM for LML?

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
I have a friend with an LML. He wants to install a tuner and his dealer said it would definately end his waranty on his powertrain. Could he buy an extra ECM and install it to be used when runing the tuner and leave his original ECM stock to be reinstalled for dealer visits?

duramaxzak

Wanna be puller!
Nov 22, 2008
Minnesota
I think the dealer takes torque reading's off the tranny to see if the are out of factory spec's. Not sure if they are stored in the ECM or TCM though.

Bobo

Aug 27, 2006
If thats the case maybe he could get an extra TCM?

How's he gonna explain his lack of regen cycles per mile to the dealer? Who is going to program the spare ECM and TCM to work on his truck?

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
Get a spair ECM and TCM
If the dealer asks about regen cycles tell them you had a parts store clear your codes.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
Get a spair ECM and TCM
If the dealer asks about regen cycles tell them you had a parts store clear your codes.

This does NOT work. GM has caught on to ALL of the tricks, hence why the ECM logs the last 10 flashes(and wether or not ANY of those were NON stock flashes), the TCM logs peek torque input, and I believe they can now keep track of what should be in your ECM via the TIS system as all flashes pretty much require GM authorization. Don't play if you can't afford to pay.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Get a spair ECM and TCM

clearing the codes will not clear the number of regen cycles.

So if you really wanted to get tricky, you would have to buy a new ECM, a new TCM, get them programmed...and then if you need to take your truck in for service, you would have to put the original ECM/TCM back in, and drive the truck for at least a couple hundred miles to get the regen counter back in spec.

But really, is it worth the trouble? And they might even be able to tell other ways too, im not sure.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
I don't know it for certain, but I was told the BCM also logs fuel consumption(again this is just arumor I heard at the dealership). And doesn't the airbag module keep track of flashes since it is the service programming module? the old days of pulling a fast one are over, and I feel it is about time. Why should GM pay for a repair bill if you wan more than the 397HP they already give you?

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
I don't know it for certain, but I was told the BCM also logs fuel consumption(again this is just arumor I heard at the dealership). And doesn't the airbag module keep track of flashes since it is the service programming module? the old days of pulling a fast one are over, and I feel it is about time. Why should GM pay for a repair bill if you wan more than the 397HP they already give you?

No, the BCM doesnt keep track of that.

As far as the airbag module, im not sure what you mean...all modules are programmed individually. Thats the way its always been.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
How would he even get a spare ECM and TCM? I thought gm wouldnt sell these to anyone.

The ECM's were on parts restriction (IE, warranty only) when the LML's first came out....im not sure if that parts restriction has been lifted or not by now??? Theres always the junk yard too. Ive seen a couple LML ECM's go for cheap on ebay.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
clearing the codes will not clear the number of regen cycles.

So if you really wanted to get tricky, you would have to buy a new ECM, a new TCM, get them programmed...and then if you need to take your truck in for service, you would have to put the original ECM/TCM back in, and drive the truck for at least a couple hundred miles to get the regen counter back in spec.

But really, is it worth the trouble? And they might even be able to tell other ways too, im not sure.

Not to metion, if the truck isnt drivable for the reason you need to take it back in, your screwed.

Really, even if you went through all that trouble to make it "look stock". if the dealer felt that thing had been tampered with, it wouldnt take much for them to black ball his warrenty. Mine was black balled for having an EGT probe in the exhaust manifold but absolutly nothing hooked to it and no programmer on the truck so i couldnt have my injectors replaced under warrenty long ago.

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
It does look like it's going to just be too much trouble, and as far mutiple flashes the spare ECM will be flashed with an H&S or Quad once and probably never again. It will be removed and replaced with the original if waranty work is needed. And as far as "trying to get over on the dealer" he's doing nothing more than the majority of us have done in the past. It was just easier for the guys with older trucks. He's just trying to avoid having the entire power train and possibly more not be covered simply because of a programer that may or may not be the cause. I told him I would look in to this for him and I apreciate everyones input. Although he will probably not do anything after I explaing the problems you guys have brought up, it would still be cool to hear more ideas on the subject.

Kennedy Diesel

Mar 13, 2009
Has anybody making these claims of TQ readings and Regen records ever actually looked at one with a Tech 2? Most of whst is claimed in my experience is just verbatim regurgitation.

Let's start with the basics:

You have a problem with the truck. It's something simple like a tensioner pulley. Put it back to stock (ECM and exhaust) and take it in to be fixed. No problem

OK let's say you smoked the trans. That's on you. Roll the dice if you feel right about trying to get coverage for your doing. There's a good chance you'll get warranty.

Let's say it was a head gasket. Same thing put it back to stock and take it in.

The first thing that will be checked is the ECM programming history. That WILL check out if you have never programmed the stock ECM. Why would teh dealer need to go further?

Think about this: How does the TCM know the max TQ input? Is there a strain gauge on it?

I'll be messing more and more as time goes on. I've done a few ECM swaps to test on my own LML so we'll see what it says.

MMLMM

Tunergeek
Mar 2, 2008
Reno, NV
www.dyncal.com
Putting a tune on the truck does not void warranty. Breaking the truck because you tuned it does void warranty.

Either be happy with the way it is, or be prepared to pay the bill when you break it. :thumb:

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
We have had tune/deleted trucks come though my dealership all the time. They all come to me being I'm the diesel tech here. Your warranty wont be void at all unless it's something major that GM has to get involved with. The dealership wants your business and will usually take care of you as long as it's a normal warranty claim that GM wont throw a red flag on. Major engine/transmission seems to only be where GM really gets involved.. So far my experience is GM thinks these engines are bulletproof. If an engine blows they WILL send out a rep (two came last time) and they will have a checklist. If they see at least two signs of modifications they cancel all warranty.

We had a work truck LBZ come in with a snapped crankshaft. Had an EGT gauge and straight piped exhaust. Engine showed no other signs internally of being tuned/abused. Customer swore it wasn't tuned. GM threw a fit over those two things and it took almost a month to get the engine warrantied.

But besides that, normal warranty work should still be processed fine. I laugh at the customer's that unplug their Edge but leave their connectors sitting there and still have the Edge on the dash. Us technicians aren't idiots.

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
I also need to add that this is just how we handle things at this dealership. Each one is different. Others could have asshole techs/managers. How your attitude is when showing up plays a key part as well.

We warrantied out an automatic transmission in a brand new Camaro SS with a Paxton supercharger/intercooler on it when the customer smoked the trans at 15k miles. The customer was a usual and always in a great mood/spent lots of money here. So we worked out a deal and the customer bought the aftermarket parts to hold up to the power but GM paid for the labor to rebuild the trans.